Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: NBA average vertical leap is...

You have to remember that these guys are all HUGE and are jumping that high, I feel like that has a lot to do with it, it's harder to jump if you have more weight.

I am 5'9 and can grab rim, For me to be able to touch the rim my vert would need to be 31"(my reach is 7' 5), so I would estimate my running vertical to be around 33". I rebound very well, and get comments about how I can jump. My standing vertical would be a lot lower, prob 7"+. I don't "train", just run and do a lot of sports.

Quote Originally Posted by Swaggin916
    No it's not... the guys are tested at the combine so they are essentially in their athletic prime.

I find it hard to believe that your guy's verts are as high as you say especially if you haven't trained. Before I trained I was at about 31 (running) and was squatting over 300... and I was jumping higher than most people on the floor (not much higher but definitely higher). When I got it up to 34 I was jumping higher than almost everyone. My dude has a 37" vert and he is jumping way higher than anyone on the floor 9 times out of 10... So are you guys all a bunch of athletes or are you overestimating your vert? A lot of people overestimate their vert... they think because they can wrap their fingers around the rim that they have a 35 inch vert (At 5'8 that might actually be the case tho taking your reach into consideration).
    I dont know if it was directed toward me but yes i can hang on the rim pretty easily. I can also almost grab it stand still on a good day.

NBA Superstar

No it's not... the guys are tested at the combine so they are essentially in their athletic prime.

I find it hard to believe that your guy's verts are as high as you say especially if you haven't trained. Before I trained I was at about 31 (running) and was squatting over 300... and I was jumping higher than most people on the floor (not much higher but definitely higher). When I got it up to 34 I was jumping higher than almost everyone. My dude has a 37" vert and he is jumping way higher than anyone on the floor 9 times out of 10... So are you guys all a bunch of athletes or are you overestimating your vert? A lot of people overestimate their vert... they think because they can wrap their fingers around the rim that they have a 35 inch vert (At 5'8 that might actually be the case tho taking your reach into consideration).
    I'm with ya there. My standing was officially measured at 29.5. . .which seemed low to me at the time (until I realized I was actually right about where I should be). There was another player trying out at the camp who had a 37'' standing and he could absolutely, positively soar through the air. I think it is easy for many to throw out numbers that might be associated with a two-step max and a running max then portray them as standing verts.

Dunking on everybody in the park Tha Catalyst's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by magnax1
    Just standing, right? Mine was only 18 standing, and 25 movings. Pretty sad....
    Hey at least your being honest with your vert. According to this thread the average vert. of ISH posters is about 35 inches. Not saying that lies are being thrown around just seems highly unlikely. When you consider height/weight/wingspan on NBA athletes I don't find the average to be unimpressive.

Not airballing my layups anymore

Mine is 36 (I can dunk a volleyball and almost two hand a basketball) but I imagine there are a few guys in the league who really bring the average down.

Quote Originally Posted by enayes
    You have to remember that these guys are all HUGE and are jumping that high, I feel like that has a lot to do with it, it's harder to jump if you have more weight.

I am 5'9 and can grab rim, For me to be able to touch the rim my vert would need to be 31"(my reach is 7' 5), so I would estimate my running vertical to be around 33". I rebound very well, and get comments about how I can jump. My standing vertical would be a lot lower, prob 7"+. I don't "train", just run and do a lot of sports.
    See that's what I'm saying... That is normal for most people. If you don't lift, then your standing vert will most likely suck, but if you are active and play bball a lot and do other things, your running vert will most likely be pretty good. Because I lifted, my standing vert was 31. but my running was only 3 inches higher at 34 inches. I rely a lot more on my strength whereas people who don't lift will rely on the elastic components of their tendons... which is only going to take you so far. For most people who are active that number seems to be a bit above 30 inches. So all you 35 inch guys, either you are gifted, lifting weights, or lying.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix18
    You have to remember that this is an average. There a lot of players who are practically done that are included in those measurements.

My max was a 34, but I NEVER trained. To this day, I hate exercising just to exercise.
    What I was surprised by though was the verticals of PGs, SGs, and SFs. I would imagine the average guys at those positions should be able to be closer to jumping as high as I did at my peak. The PFs and Centers I understand due to guys like Yao and Z bringing it down, but the guards? I'm still shocked at their average verts.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

I was a sprinter for about 8 years, and floated around 36-37 inches in season (this was measured on several occasions, not simply guessing). After my 6th season (when I was 20), I could grab the rim quite easily and knew I was close to dunking (I'm 5'8.5" btw). I also knew I had about 3 months off from sprint training, thus I used that time dedicating myself to plyometrics. By the end of the summer, I was able to dunk.... barely (completed 2 out of about 300 attempts, lol). I never had my peak jump measured, but I knew it was higher by at least a couple of inches judging on how my elevation was compared to where I could get my hand on the rim (went from about mid palm on the rim to the wrist on the rim). Thats how I am aware it was roughly 38-40 inches.