Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Very good NBA starter

Default Re: Who Guards Michael Jordan Well?

Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    Played him extremely well in the 96 finals. Jordan was having hissy fits.
    True, but who cares they won.Also MJ ****s all over him in 92-3 .

Sydney Moncrief

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Samurai Swoosh
    Bruce Bowen played in Jordan's era with hand checks. And in DIME magazine a year or two ago they asked him who the hardest player to guard was ... and he said Jordan. And he played against a well aged Jordan. No Kobe. Jordan.
    What are you trying to say?

I am the last one here who would say Kobe>Jordan (you on the other hand were all over Kobe's dick this Olympics)

There is such a thing as a defensive prime. And Bruce Bowen in his defensive prime could have slowed down Jordan (not shut down slowed down).

Root Of All Evil

Quote Originally Posted by Indian guy
    The only players who had some success in containing MJ for a meaningful period were Dumars and Starks. Both were short(6'3), had very quick feet, good strength, intelligent, played in the severe hand-checking era and most importantly, played on great defensive teams.
    Exactly. Kevin Johnson had one solid game guarding MJ in the '93 Finals. But it didn't last really long.

Another Laker Dynasty? bleedinpurpleTwo's Avatar

no one could guard Jordan. the Angels from above would simply pick him up and carry him to the basket.

...or he would just climb up on the pedestal and shoot over everyone.

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Biddy77
    i forget where i heard this, so i can't source it, but as the story goes...

jordan was asked once if anyone in the NBA could guard him one-on-one, and he said "yeap. he's right there." and pointed at pippen.

relating to that... they also supposedly asked "is there anything you can't do (on a basketball court/with a ball)?" and he said there was something. he said he couldn't jump off his right foot and dunk right handed, but scottie could.

wish i could confirm/refute those. interesting anecdotes.
    Yes I believe I heard something similar. But this may be true because Pip was longer and could stretch out more in the air, or they were different types of jumpers/leapers.

Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    Not really...
    ok, "screwed" was too strong of a word.

in 3 of the 6 games, GP held MJ to 40% or less shooting, and for those 3 games, covered him as well as (or better than) anyone i've ever seen cover him.

in the other 3 games, MJ shot 48% once, and 50% twice.

so, yeah. GP deserves some recognition for the job he did.

Root Of All Evil

Quote Originally Posted by Godfather
    I am the last one here who would say Kobe>Jordan (you on the other hand were all over Kobe's dick this Olympics)
    Huh? I was pro-Team USA as a whole.

What the blue **** are you talking about. And I wasn't insinuating, anything. Kobe's the best scorer in modern basketball, and I was using him as comparison and Bruce said an aged Jordan he faced was harder to defend.

Don't be so touchy, you little puss.

Banned

Huh? I was pro-Team USA as a whole.

What the blue **** are you talking about. And I wasn't insinuating, anything. Kobe's the best scorer in modern basketball, and I was using him as comparison and Bruce said an aged Jordan he faced was harder to defend.

Don't be so touchy, you little puss.

Too touchy? I merely stated fact (even as Kobe struggled shooting you hurled praises upon him left and right). You on the other hand used insults to pass a point that still doesn't refute mine.

Exactly. Kevin Johnson had one solid game guarding MJ in the '93 Finals. But it didn't last really long.
    Yes but KJ actually had footspeed to stay with '93 Jordan, but I believe MJ that year had slowed down a bit since his 80s days or even since the 1992 season because of the long year, olympics, etc. But Kev. Johnson was very nice. At least he did better than Dumas, who according to the logic some people today believe, would be a lockdown defender just because of height and athleticism.
    Last edited by Scott Pippen; 01-14-2009 at 12:47 AM.

Root Of All Evil

Quote Originally Posted by Godfather
    Too touchy? I merely stated fact (even as Kobe struggled shooting you hurled praises upon him left and right). You on the other hand used insults to pass a point that still doesn't refute mine.
    What are you talking about? I said Kobe struggled shooting during the Olympics. As I proceeded to praise the whole team, mainly Wade and LeBron. You're thinking of someone else. Only time I gave Kobe props was the 4th in the Spain game.

Quote Originally Posted by AllenIverson3
    Sydney Moncrief
    Yes, also Moncrief played a very young Jordan well. Before the Bulls contending years.

Root Of All Evil

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Pippen
    Yes but KJ actually had footspeed to stay with '93 Jordan, but I believe MJ that year had slowed down a bit since his 80s days or even since the 1992 season because of the long year, olympics, etc. But Kev. Johnson was very nice. At least he did better than Dumas, who according to the logic some people today believe, would be a lockdown defender just because of height and athleticism.
    Height and athleticism has little to do with defensive abilities. It helps if you are long and athletic. But defensive has always been more about tenacity, intelligence, and heart. Understanding angles, strengths and weakness of players, etc. I remember a dumb ass friend of mine trying to say today's era players are better defenders because they're bigger (they're not) and more athletic (they're not)

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Pippen
    Yes I believe I heard something similar. But this may be true because Pip was longer and could stretch out more in the air, or they were different types of jumpers/leapers.
    i definitely think it has to do with pip's length. he had some serious reach...

Height and athleticism has little to do with defensive abilities. It helps if you are long and athletic. But defensive has always been more about tenacity, intelligence, and heart. Understanding angles, strengths and weakness of players, etc. I remember a dumb ass friend of mine trying to say today's era players are better defenders because they're bigger (they're not) and more athletic (they're not)
    that's true to an extent, but scottie pippen's brain in mark price's body doesn't work as well as scottie pippen's brain in scottie pippen's body.

reaching your defensive potential definitely starts and stops with mental aspects, but your potential itself is partly determined by your physical attributes.