Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 07-31-2014, 11:31 AM   #151
Im Still Ballin
Banned

Im Still Ballin has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIm Still Ballin has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIm Still Ballin has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIm Still Ballin has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIm Still Ballin has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIm Still Ballin has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIm Still Ballin has one of the lowest reputations on this board
Default Re: Can you dunk??

Been able to dunk since 10 grade. So that's 15 years old. Only was 5-9 then but. 6-1 now. Genetically gifted vert. Never measured it but I estimate it would be close to 40. Former elite junior high jumper, never had the technique down so I never jumped as high as I should. Currently squatting 3x a week, bulking phase, when I recomp I should be jumping out of the gym.
Im Still Ballin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 03:55 AM   #152
Smoke117
Barstool Blues

Smoke117 has an incredible reputation hereSmoke117 has an incredible reputation hereSmoke117 has an incredible reputation hereSmoke117 has an incredible reputation hereSmoke117 has an incredible reputation hereSmoke117 has an incredible reputation hereSmoke117 has an incredible reputation here

I'm 5'9 and half mexican/white...what do you think?
Smoke117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 04:00 AM   #153
Im Still Ballin
Banned

Im Still Ballin has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIm Still Ballin has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIm Still Ballin has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIm Still Ballin has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIm Still Ballin has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIm Still Ballin has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIm Still Ballin has one of the lowest reputations on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke117
I'm 5'9 and half mexican/white...what do you think?
Believe. Achieve. Ascend to GLORY.
Im Still Ballin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 03:33 AM   #154
willy_yep
Can barely lace up my sneakers

willy_yep has an OK reputation so far

how high would you say you have to touch in order to dunk? i can touch 10'6 which puts me at a 34 inch vert, but i'm getting rim stuffed at 9'10. i can do 2 hand dunks on 9'5 though.
willy_yep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 01:27 PM   #155
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by willy_yep
how high would you say you have to touch in order to dunk? i can touch 10'6 which puts me at a 34 inch vert, but i'm getting rim stuffed at 9'10. i can do 2 hand dunks on 9'5 though.
I don't know man. If you can touch 10'6", that'd put you about eight inches above the rim on the 9'10'' goal you say you're getting stuffed on. Do you at least makes some dunks on 9'10''?

My max reach has been around 10'10'' over the years and I'd venture to say I usually don't get that high on my dunks. As such, I think it's safe to say that I've been able to dunk when I was just about as much over the rim as you on a 9'10'' rim.

Any videos of your attempts?
Rake2204 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 04:32 PM   #156
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by willy_yep

You have to be at 10'8 at least and even then you will throw most of them back off the rim especially if you can't palm it. I would say 10'10 like Rake is the point to where you can consistently put them in. If you are a one leg jumper that helps too they are easier to put in when you are right at the cusp.

I was pretty close to where you were... I was hitting like 10'4 on the rims and wasn't even close to dunking on 10 ft. I kept throwing it off back rim on 9'7 rim with one hand (2 footed jumper) but obviously I was really close. I got one 2 hand dunk on the 9'7 where I just barely put it in and hung on the rim. I was probably hitting 10'2 with my 2 hand attempts so that would put me 7 inches over the 9'7 rim on my 2 hand attempts and 9 inches on my on my one hand attempts. I feel like if I was an inch higher I could have gotten over that hump of throwing them off back iron and dunked it almost every time... or at least half the time. That's where I got the 10 inch over number from to dunk consistently. And of course like I said, if you are 10" over jumping off one foot, you will dunk it more often than a 2 footed jumper 10" over the rim. I have a friend who is 10" over the rim on a good day and he can only put them in half the time on those days... When he was up around/over 12" over a few years ago he could throw it in easy. Here is a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYxo...n4ARCg# t=167

I will try to get one up of where he is now so you can see the difference.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 02:55 AM   #157
willy_yep
Can barely lace up my sneakers

willy_yep has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake2204
I don't know man. If you can touch 10'6", that'd put you about eight inches above the rim on the 9'10'' goal you say you're getting stuffed on. Do you at least makes some dunks on 9'10''?

My max reach has been around 10'10'' over the years and I'd venture to say I usually don't get that high on my dunks. As such, I think it's safe to say that I've been able to dunk when I was just about as much over the rim as you on a 9'10'' rim.

Any videos of your attempts?

i've dunked before on 10, but needed a lot of adrenaline to do it, and needed an alley oop. i havent played in a while, so im not sure if i can do it anymore. the dunks i did in the vid and on 9'10 were all outdoor, and i think i can jump higher on hardwood. also, they were off the dribble and the ball i was using was completely smooth. i also can't dunk off one foot on 9'5, but i'm touching 10'2 really easily.

Last edited by willy_yep : 09-03-2014 at 11:46 PM.
willy_yep is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: