Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Jonas Valanciunas expected to sign contract with Toronto Raptors

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nba/stor...raft-lithuania

[QUOTE]Jonas Valanciunas, who the Toronto Raptors selected with the No. 5 overall pick in the 2011 NBA Draft, is expected to sign with the team over the next few days and should be in training camp this fall, the Toronto Star reports. Valanciunas did not play with the Raptors last season because his buyout agreement called for him to play one more year with Lietuvos Rytas in Lithuania.

The letter of clearance, a formality before Valanciunas

Default Re: Jonas Valanciunas expected to sign contract with Toronto Raptors

“This move frees up minutes for our players under contract, increases our financial flexibility and opens up a roster spot to address other needs.
    Yes, because JJ's massive contract needed to be let go of in order to make room for Landry Field's pocket change of a contract.

Riggin' for Wiggins! Chamberlain's Avatar

Excited to see this kid play in the Olympics and of course with the Raptors. Hopefully he meets our expectations!

Not airballing my layups anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Chamberlain
    Excited to see this kid play in the Olympics and of course with the Raptors. Hopefully he meets our expectations!
    I agree completely! I have my tix for the preseason game vs the Knicks, and I hope he and Ross get a ton of run!

Quote Originally Posted by clipse
    I agree completely! I have my tix for the preseason game vs the Knicks, and I hope he and Ross get a ton of run!
    The one at the Bell Center?

Quote Originally Posted by BoogieWoogieMan
    The one at the Bell Center?

Yessir

Quote Originally Posted by clipse
    Yessir
    Hot Diggaty! I'll be there as well, somewhere in the 2nd level.

Riggin' for Wiggins! Chamberlain's Avatar

Jealous of you guys. I'll be in Montreal in August, wish the preseason was that early!

I really hope mtl gets a team someday, but knowing these athletes, nobody would want to play here due to the heavy french-speaking population.

My excitement for Val is the only thing keeping me around at the moment. I said this in another thread but if Val turns out to be what he's expected to be, suddenly our core doesn't look all that bad.

Only positive thing the raps have going for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Chamberlain
    Me too! I will definitely be paying attention to his team during the Olympics to see how he does.

It's official! As per raptors.com
    The Toronto Raptors announced Wednesday they have signed centre Jonas Valanciunas (YO-nahs vah-lahn-CHEW-nahs) to his rookie scale contract. He is under contract through the 2013-14 season, with two team option years to follow. The Raptors selected the Lithuanian with the fifth overall pick of the 2011 NBA Draft. Per team policy, financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.

“We are very pleased to welcome Jonas to the organization,” said Raptors President and General Manager Bryan Colangelo. “We are certain that Raptors fans will soon realize that the year-long process was worth the wait.”

Valanciunas, seven-foot, 250 pounds, averaged 14.2 points, 7.4 rebounds, 1.9 blocks and 23.5 minutes in 23 Lithuanian league contests this past season with Lietuvos Rytas. He scored in double figures in 17 games and grabbed double-digit totals in rebounds in seven outings. He had a season-best 25 points (8-10 FG) with 12 rebounds and a season-high six blocks November 12 against Pieno Zvaigzdes.

Valanciunas was named 2011 FIBA Europe Young Men’s Player of the Year, earned the Eurocup Rising Star Trophy given to the most outstanding player under 22 and was presented the Lithuanian League All-Star Game Most Entertaining Player award.

Valanciunas appeared in 84 games in the Lithuanian League in his three professional seasons, averaging 11.6 points, 6.9 rebounds and 1.7 blocks. He competed for his country in the 2011 U-19 World Championships, leading Lithuania to the gold medal. He averaged 23.0 points, 13.9 rebounds and 3.2 blocks en route to the Most Valuable Player award. He totaled 36 points, eight rebounds and four blocks in the championship game victory over Serbia.

Saw a basketball once

Quote Originally Posted by bokes15
    My excitement for Val is the only thing keeping me around at the moment. I said this in another thread but if Val turns out to be what he's expected to be, suddenly our core doesn't look all that bad.

What would Val have to do to meet your expectations? or all you you guys expectations? i.e 10/10/2?

Quote Originally Posted by Carrib
    What would Val have to do to meet your expectations? or all you you guys expectations? i.e 10/10/2?
    It's funny you say that, because one of my friends asked me that same question a few days ago. For me, since it's his rookie season i'm not overly concerned about numbers, mostly about his impact. I'd be perfectly fine if he put up something like 10/10/2 as long as he keeps up that good defense, the hustle on the boards and that overall energy level that he had in Europe. I think there will be a learning curve however like when Marc Gasol came over so I wouldn't be surprised with something like 11/8/1 either.