Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Check out the new Gus Johnson mix

Last edited by CavaliersFTW; 08-28-2014 at 09:06 PM.

Default Re: Check out the new Gus Johnson mix

His stats are shit...................why make a mix of him????????

On another forum an older fan has compared him to Barkley. What a battle that would be under the boards.

"Gus Johnson was a guy born in the wrong era. He was a heck of an athlete - incredibly strong, fast, outstanding jumper. Played above the rim at a time when high-flyers were rare and frankly not appreciated in the same way they are now. Probably the outstanding dunker of his era. I remember him with a decent (good but not elite) mid-range shot but not a lot of distance range. Great defensive player - he not only had the great athletic ability but unlike some who have outstanding athletecism, he also had the interest to play defense. He would get in your grill and not back down an inch! Excellent rebounder and exceptionally dangerous on the offensive glass. I saw some similarity between Johnson and Charles Barkley - Gus was a bit taller but neither had prototypical height to be a PF, yet they both had the strength and athletecism to outplay taller PF's. Barkley certainly had more range on his outside shot, but in terms of (relatively) short guys for their position who were so compact, strong, fast and had incredible hops, I saw some similarity there."

Quote Originally Posted by PHILA
    On another forum an older fan has compared him to Barkley. What a battle that would be under the boards.

"Gus Johnson was a guy born in the wrong era. He was a heck of an athlete - incredibly strong, fast, outstanding jumper. Played above the rim at a time when high-flyers were rare and frankly not appreciated in the same way they are now. Probably the outstanding dunker of his era. I remember him with a decent (good but not elite) mid-range shot but not a lot of distance range. Great defensive player - he not only had the great athletic ability but unlike some who have outstanding athletecism, he also had the interest to play defense. He would get in your grill and not back down an inch! Excellent rebounder and exceptionally dangerous on the offensive glass. I saw some similarity between Johnson and Charles Barkley - Gus was a bit taller but neither had prototypical height to be a PF, yet they both had the strength and athletecism to outplay taller PF's. Barkley certainly had more range on his outside shot, but in terms of (relatively) short guys for their position who were so compact, strong, fast and had incredible hops, I saw some similarity there."
    Interesting what this person stated of his shooting, is he basing it off film or is he an eyewitness of Gus? On film perhaps he didn't see enough (even though only about 1% of Gus's career exists on film) he shoots quite well in what does exist, good smooth release and shooting mechanics and hits and is willing to shoot from pretty much anywhere, even the deep corners. The one thing I don't see which you do see from great forwards like say, Elgin Baylor, is very many dribble penetration highlights. In fact it looks like he'd rather pull up or pass than try and drive inside most of the time. Though most of these highlights are from All-star games, maybe he played differently in them vs his usual game.
    Last edited by CavaliersFTW; 08-28-2014 at 03:27 AM.

There's no denying that Gus Johnson was one of the most exciting 'old school' players to watch. Those highlights are incredible.

His skillset was unique. He had the rebounding, strength and athleticism of modern day post player but the speed and perimeter defense (not to mention passing) of a modern day wing player. His game reminds me a lot of Barkley. That's an excellent comparison.

Mozart Basketball no pun intended's Avatar

Holy shit. The way he palms the ball when he fake passes. What in the actual fvck? That is so cool. Does some windmill voodoo shit there.

He's a good passer.

Thanks for the video . I like how different basketball was back then, it seems to have a different sort of flair than today's basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtaro CP3KDKG
    His stats are shit...................why make a mix of him????????
    I don't know if you're trolling, but 8 straight years of 11+ RPG, including one of 17.1. That's not impressive to you?

If I could go back in a time machine and watch any team, the '68-'69 Bullets may be at the top of my list. Imagine the strength of Johnson and unseld together, and then a prime Earl Monroe. Every game would have been a highlight reel.

Looking forward to it.

Going to watch during lunch, thanks for sharing!

Incredible specimen and talent.
    Since a couple of posters above talked about similarities, I wonder how similar to him Maurice Stokes would have been considered.

BTW, his shooting style reminds me a bit of McAdoo.

"I'd say David Lee is more athletic than him. David Lee seems to be stronger, taller, faster, can jump higher. Basically, can do everything basketball related better. Not Gus's fault...his era no one was advanced yet so he had nothing to watch or learn from growing up." - sundizz

Quote Originally Posted by Psileas
    Incredible specimen and talent.
    Since a couple of posters above talked about similarities, I wonder how similar to him Maurice Stokes would have been considered.

BTW, his shooting style reminds me a bit of McAdoo.
    Stokes than Baylor than Gus. They're all cut from the same mold. All around the same hight weight build and games were similar.

Seeing him defend Oscar, Baylor and West must have been fun to watch.

Great mix