Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Return of the Amnesty Clause!

Quote Originally Posted by miles berg
    Probably Brendan Haywood in Dallas so we have more tax money available to go after Tyson Chandler. Sounds like a $10 mill contract will really be $35,000,000 with the tax applied.

Hope its worth it.
    Haywood is very tradeable. Big with some skills and contract is reasonable.

The Mavs could get a first round pick in return and a trade exception.

Would be a good pickup for the Bobcats or Hornets.

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Hoops
    Joe Johnson and Hawks?
    Marvin Williams. Get rid of him and Hinrich expires next year, Dwight Howard comes to Atlanta.

NBA rookie of the year Kurosawa0's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastic
    Amnestied players still get paid right?
    If so, what would stop all of them from stacking together for the minimum on the Heat?
    Miami and the Lakers will certainly be two of the most preferred destinations.

Quote Originally Posted by WhySoInsecure?
    or maybe we can hold on to it till Amare goes belly up
    Nah......Amare's fine.

Quote Originally Posted by miles berg
    Probably Brendan Haywood in Dallas so we have more tax money available to go after Tyson Chandler. Sounds like a $10 mill contract will really be $35,000,000 with the tax applied.

Hope its worth it.
    This should happen at midnight Dec. 9th and then an offer should be in to Chandler at 12:01.

I also would like to see them retain JJ and Caron. A healthy Caron would have helped the Mavericks a lot when the offense went quiet.

If they cannot/do not resign Caron, I wouldn't mind seeing them go after Tayshaun. I think he would be a perfect fit for the team and would prefer to see Marion come off the bench.

National High School Star NewYorkNoPicks's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawkfan
    Haywood is very tradeable. Big with some skills and contract is reasonable.

The Mavs could get a first round pick in return and a trade exception.

Would be a good pickup for the Bobcats or Hornets.
    Haywood is tradeable?!

The Knicks had to dump Zach Randolph for a 2nd round pick and the Mavs could get a 1st from Haywood?!

Quote Originally Posted by NewYorkNoPicks
    Haywood is tradeable?!

The Knicks had to dump Zach Randolph for a 2nd round pick and the Mavs could get a 1st from Haywood?!
    If Haywood and his ridiculous contract were "tradeable", he'd be gone already.

He and his contract are one of the least tradeable packages in the entire NBA.

He's just Erick Dampier 2.0 for Cuban.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bird
    This should happen at midnight Dec. 9th and then an offer should be in to Chandler at 12:01.

I also would like to see them retain JJ and Caron. A healthy Caron would have helped the Mavericks a lot when the offense went quiet.

If they cannot/do not resign Caron, I wouldn't mind seeing them go after Tayshaun. I think he would be a perfect fit for the team and would prefer to see Marion come off the bench.
    Its really hard. I actually think having both Chandler and Haywood is/will be really important.

I'm torn on JJ because we have roddy already. If we sign JJ...then we need to trade Roddy asap for something. No point in having them both. JJ is currently better and gives us the best chance to win....in a short season, Roddy will get limited minutes and not develop...driving his value down more.

I go back and forth, but I think I'm in favor of going after Chandler and Caron.....letting JJ walk...and seeing if Roddy can fill that void. Butler is a better player than Barea and is more valuable to our team.

Obviously without Chandler we don't have much of a chance anyway....but if we do get him....I'd rather get Butler and see what Roddy

To one of the posts above about Haywood being able to be moved. No. He's owed 35 million over the next 4 seasons. That is awful for a player of his caliber. Nobody is taking that number on most likely.

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41
    Its really hard. I actually think having both Chandler and Haywood is/will be really important.

I'm torn on JJ because we have roddy already. If we sign JJ...then we need to trade Roddy asap for something. No point in having them both. JJ is currently better and gives us the best chance to win....in a short season, Roddy will get limited minutes and not develop...driving his value down more.

I go back and forth, but I think I'm in favor of going after Chandler and Caron.....letting JJ walk...and seeing if Roddy can fill that void. Butler is a better player than Barea and is more valuable to our team.

Obviously without Chandler we don't have much of a chance anyway....but if we do get him....I'd rather get Butler and see what Roddy

To one of the posts above about Haywood being able to be moved. No. He's owed 35 million over the next 4 seasons. That is awful for a player of his caliber. Nobody is taking that number on most likely.
    Every time I look at that trio, I think the exact same thing, Butler and Chandler are the better fit for the Mavericks needs.

In a perfect world, they keep all 3 and trade Roddy for something useful: either front court depth or a 1st rd pick.

If not, Butler and Chandler and bring someone in on the MLE on someone like Chuck Hayes (a banger off the bench) or Shannon Brown (let him back up Rudy at the 3 or let him start and Rudy comes off the bench for big 3's).

I'd much rather have some new legs in Brown at a position we could use true athleticism at then keeping 3 PG's on the roster.

That's just my opinion though. Not sure how the rest of the Mavericks fans feel.

Quote Originally Posted by bagelred

Buh bye, sleepy face.......buh bye.
    Waiving Balkman right now might be the stupidest possible decision. If anything, wait until next summer and amnesty him then (if we can't trade him) if necessary. It's not like wiping his less than $2 million contract from this years cap does anything for us and since we're not in the luxury tax Dolan wouldn't even save any money, so why waste such a valuable thing? It could be useful to use just in case something does happen to one of the bigger names *knock on wood*

Using it on him now could end up as one of the worst decisions ever.

Every time I look at that trio, I think the exact same thing, Butler and Chandler are the better fit for the Mavericks needs.

In a perfect world, they keep all 3 and trade Roddy for something useful: either front court depth or a 1st rd pick.

If not, Butler and Chandler and bring someone in on the MLE on someone like Chuck Hayes (a banger off the bench) or Shannon Brown (let him back up Rudy at the 3 or let him start and Rudy comes off the bench for big 3's).

I'd much rather have some new legs in Brown at a position we could use true athleticism at then keeping 3 PG's on the roster.

That's just my opinion though. Not sure how the rest of the Mavericks fans feel.
    It really just depends on what Roddy can provide. Honestly, Roddy/Jones/Brewer should be able to fill the JJ void pretty well.

I think Butler is worth a lot to this team....he's a legit player capable of dropping 20 in any game. He's also one of the toughest players in the league.....something this Mavs team always needs.

I just don't see a reason to have both JJ and Roddy. Especially if it comes at the price of losing Haywood. You have to think JJ is going to demand somewhere between 5-6 million for 4 or 5 years. Given our team, is that worth it if we have to lose Haywood? Who is making only a couple million more per year.

I love JJ, but Butler is a 30 mpg guy that is simply a better and more valuable player. JJ probably isn't worth what he's going to get for a 21 minute a game guy....especially when we have a very similar player sitting on our bench with more upside.

If Haywood and his ridiculous contract were "tradeable", he'd be gone already.

He and his contract are one of the least tradeable packages in the entire NBA.

He's just Erick Dampier 2.0 for Cuban.
    It's crazy how Dallas has made this same exact mistake three times in a row:

Erick Dampier
    DeSagana Diop
    Brendon Haywood

It's crazy how Dallas has made this same exact mistake three times in a row:

Erick Dampier
    DeSagana Diop
    Brendon Haywood
    They had the right idea to get a defensive minded center that can rebound as well. They just completely missed on all three of those guys.

Its funny that getting Chandler was kind of random. Even Nellie said they didn't really think it was that big of a deal at the time. They just wanted to do something.

I still hold out hope that Haywood can get his shit together and contribute next year if we keep him. He could....COULD be very important this coming year.

Quote Originally Posted by MeLO MvP 15
    Waiving Balkman right now might be the stupidest possible decision. If anything, wait until next summer and amnesty him then (if we can't trade him) if necessary. It's not like wiping his less than $2 million contract from this years cap does anything for us and since we're not in the luxury tax Dolan wouldn't even save any money, so why waste such a valuable thing? It could be useful to use just in case something does happen to one of the bigger names *knock on wood*

Using it on him now could end up as one of the worst decisions ever.
    well......I GUESS........the chances of them ever having to use amnesty on Melo or Amare is so slim though.

D'Antoni does not want Balkman on the team and the Knicks are actually running out of roster spots.

Knicks have 10 spots filled. Now add Shumpert, Harrellson, Jordan. That's 13. Probably resign Shawne Williams. That's 14. And if they want to make a few moves, they might just want to dump Balkman and get it over with.

I suppose its feasible Knicks could just trade Balkman + cash for expirer to save the amnesty clause. It's plausible if someone has any interest in Balkman....
    Last edited by bagelred; 11-27-2011 at 02:33 AM.

well......I GUESS........the chances of them ever having to use amnesty on Melo or Amare is so slim though.

D'Antoni does not want Balkman on the team and the Knicks are actually running out of roster spots.

Knicks have 10 spots filled. Now add Shumpert, Harrellson, Jordan. That's 13. Probably resign Shawne Williams. That's 14. And if they want to make a few moves, they might just want to dump Balkman and get it over with.

I suppose its feasible Knicks could just trade Balkman + cash for expirer to save the amnesty clause. It's plausible if someone has any interest in Balkman....
    Balkman and cash to Sacramento for a trade exception.

The Kings get a player and don't have to pay for him (since the Knicks would cover his salary). The Knicks clear out salary cap space and get a trade exception, and don't have to use the amnesty on Balkman.