Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Dirk vs Kobe

Default Re: Dirk vs Kobe

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41
    The biggest difference between the teams was coaching....and honestly just the rules.

You give the 06 team Rick Carlisle...and they win it all...I'd bet my life.

I do think the 11 supporting cast was better, but the biggest difference was one team having an elite coach and the other having a very poor coach. That really matters when you are facing Pat Riley in the NBA finals.
    Oh I agree. Hell with Avery they were within a quarter of a 3-0 lead up 13... my memory as to how responsible Dirk was for that blown lead is somewhat hazy, but he had them in that position which was incredible.

The refs were painful obviously but even getting that close against that Heat team looks even better now than it did at the time.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ScalsFan21
    Oh I agree. Hell with Avery they were within a quarter of a 3-0 lead up 13... my memory as to how responsible Dirk was for that blown lead is somewhat hazy, but he had them in that position which was incredible.

The refs were painful obviously but even getting that close against that Heat team looks even better now than it did at the time.
    He was responsible for miss the ft that could have sent it to OT...still would have had to survive a Wade last shot though.

Other than that he played a decent qtr imo...

NBA lottery pick

The biggest difference between the teams was coaching....and honestly just the rules.

You give the 06 team Rick Carlisle...and they win it all...I'd bet my life.

I do think the 11 supporting cast was better, but the biggest difference was one team having an elite coach and the other having a very poor coach. That really matters when you are facing Pat Riley in the NBA finals.
    Jason kidd is always a nice addition, even when he was old. And Chandler needs more love for that year too!

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

I find both players overrated...and Dirk for the simple fact that there are some people (dmavs) that actually think he was greater than Kevin Garnett. I'm sorry, but to me that is just laughable and absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by dhsilv
    Jason kidd is always a nice addition, even when he was old. And Chandler needs more love for that year too!
    Of course...hence why I like the 11 team better.

But lets not forget the Mavs beat the Spurs at the near peak of their powers in 06 on the road.

The Spurs lost 1 series in three years...and it was that series.

That team with a great coach is just different.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke117
    I find both players overrated...and Dirk for the simple fact that there are some people (dmavs) that actually think he was greater than Kevin Garnett. I'm sorry, but to mee that is just laughable and absurd.
    The only thing laughable and absurd there is that you think it's laughable and absurd to take Dirk.

I have absolutely no issue with someone taking KG over Dirk, but to act like it's not even debatable is actually, well, absurd.

NBA lottery pick

Of course...hence why I like the 11 team better.

But lets not forget the Mavs beat the Spurs at the near peak of their powers in 06 on the road.

The Spurs lost 1 series in three years...and it was that series.

That team with a great coach is just different.
    oh yeah, that spurs team even if duncan had issues regular season, he was epic in the playoffs. Still one of the most frustrating series I ever watched, the spurs should have could have but didn't get it done. I still feel that spurs were just better setup to not let wade get those kinds of calls without even MORE fan complaints.

Either way that series along with the spurs clippers last year, the lakers kings of the early 00's and blazer's lakers of the early 00's are some of the best series I've ever seen.

I am picking Kobe. I am picking Kobe at 18, 19, 20 years of age, and the Kobe that is 37 and building a house with bricks over Dirk.

The only thing laughable and absurd there is that you think it's laughable and absurd to take Dirk.

I have absolutely no issue with someone taking KG over Dirk, but to act like it's not even debatable is actually, well, absurd.
    You can legitimately make a case for Kevin Garnett being the best defensive player during his entire era in the league with his consistency. Dirk's offense isn't that much better than his to make a case when they are light and day in this regard. His defense compared to Dirks (who I actually think is underrated defensively) is so much better that it makes the fact that Dirk is better offensively moot.

You can legitimately make a case for Kevin Garnett being the best defensive player during his entire era in the league with his consistency. Dirk's offense isn't that much better than his to make a case when they are light and day in this regard. His defense compared to Dirks (who I actually think is underrated defensively) is so much better that it makes the fact that Dirk is better offensively moot.
    I don't disagree about KG perhaps being the best defensive player of the era. He was unreal good on defense. One of the best ever.

Disagree about their offensive impact being close though.

But I'm not gonna debate this again here...I do it like 4 times a year and don't have the patience now.

I love KG...I have no issue with someone taking him over Dirk.

I think Duncan's consistency from the beginning of his career on that end of the court (which maybe can be attributed to having Pop his whole career) edges out KG's in terms of this era's defensive anchors at least in terms of superstars, but peak KG was the better defensive anchor.

Dirk probably has been the more consistent overall player than KG in terms of total years spent as the "finished version" of himself, but peak for peak I'd take Garnett. Probably career for career too, since KG was always a 2-way god.

I don't disagree about KG perhaps being the best defensive player of the era. He was unreal good on defense. One of the best ever.

But I'm not gonna debate this again here...I do it like 4 times a year and don't have the patience now.

Just remember...offense is not just scoring...KG is by far the best passing and playmaking PF ever.

NBA lottery pick

Reasonable people will more than like on average go with KG, but to claim it's not closer is crazy as Dmav said!

The more we get into data and study what makes teams win the more KG seems to stand out. That said he didn't really bring it in the playoffs which like Malone is what is going to hold KG back.

As for my view, and this one is out there and I'm not sure I can fully back it up, BUT here it is.

KG is the better basketball player.

I can win more games with Dirk.

NBA lottery pick

Just remember...offense is not just scoring...KG is by far the best passing and playmaking PF ever.
    I'm going to ignore the playmaking term because I'll need you to define it but PASSING??????????

Really? Can you add more detail there?

I know what offense is...and Dirk was a better offensive force than you realize.

Again, I love KG...you can have this debate with someone else if you like.
    Last edited by DMAVS41; 12-22-2015 at 11:30 PM.