Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast

Default Where do you rank KG?

I'm not sure if there were more than 15 greater players in NBA history.

I have him around that range and if he had been in a better situation in his prime more people would agree with me.

Default Re: Where do you rank KG?

Call me crazy but I take him over Barkley/Malone/Dirk when you consider the all-around impact he had. Very good offensive game, great passer for a 4, great mid-range game, can take guys off the dribble occassionally ala Hakeem and his D was GOAT level when you consider his VERSATILITY. Some rim protection, able to defend smalls on the perimeter and just amazingly athletic.

Same boat as you. Can't think of too many above him at the 15ish mark. Dude was impactful on both ends.

Banned

goat

He's definitely IMO and quite easily on an individual level better than Barkley, Malone, and especially Dirk.

Now, it's an unpopular opinion but championships aside. I personally think he's a better player than Tim Duncan as well.

I'm glad we have what I feel like is an evolutionary version of him albeit with better ball handling in Anthony Davis. If he no longer has regression and continues to improve.

Kobe, KG, and Duncan all gone within the same spring / summer. Never have I felt older.

Top 20, not near Duncan, bit below Dirk...

get this:

I know all the overrating that the typical KG crew likes to do, but this dude had just TWO 20+ ppg / 50+% shooting series' in his PLAYOFF CAREER....

but apparently he's better than Duncan but just in the wrong environment, lol. Dirk also whopped his ass H2H. He outrebounded KG as well IIRC?

If you guys are fine with that type of go to scoring, the premier asset in Basketball, be my guest.

^ This would be a problem if he wasn't a multi-dimensional player that did so many things well outside of scoring.

Scoring is like the weakest part of his skillset. His defense/rebounding/passing/versatility are what make him special.

And even then, he's still good enough a scorer to accumulate over 26k points.

Phenomenal.

He's like the greatest role player ever. If I were making an all-time starting 5, I'd heavily consider having him on the team. He's so versatile which also makes him tough to rank.

Anywhere from 14-16. Too many arguments for a bunch of different players, but I think 14-16 is a fair range for him.
    Quote Originally Posted by ArbitraryWater
    Top 20, not near Duncan, bit below Dirk...

get this:

I know all the overrating that the typical KG crew likes to do, but this dude had just TWO 20+ ppg / 50+% shooting series' in his PLAYOFF CAREER....

but apparently he's better than Duncan but just in the wrong environment, lol. Dirk also whopped his ass H2H. He outrebounded KG as well IIRC?

If you guys are fine with that type of go to scoring, the premier asset in Basketball, be my guest.
    I have no idea why people continue to judge a player like KG on his scoring as if the meat of his game wasn't being a generational defensive beast and one of the best passers at his position ever. It's like ripping on Dirk for not being a defensive anchor, as if he isn't there primarily for his offense. Every player is different and judging them on "LOL PPGZZZ" standards is pretty simplistic.
    Last edited by Milbuck; 09-24-2016 at 10:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Milbuck
    Anywhere from 14-16. Too many arguments for a bunch of different players, but I think 14-16 is a fair range for him.
    I have no idea why people continue to judge a player like KG on his scoring as if the meat of his game wasn't being a generational defensive beast and one of the best passers at his position ever. It's like ripping on Dirk for not being a defensive anchor, as if he isn't there primarily for his offense. Every player is different and judging them on "LOL PPGZZZ" standards is pretty simplistic.
    ArbitraryWater is a retarded Dirk stan. KG is closer to Dirk offensively than Nowitzki is to Garnett defensively. They both have one MVP and one Chip. Everything else career wise is easily and definitively in Garnett's favor.

22 ppg 8 rpg 3 apg ... non existent defensively

vs

18 ppg 10 rpg 4 apg ... DPOY, 9x All Defense 1st Team (tied for most ever)

He'd be on my greatest team of all-time. Just so versatile. Offensively and defensively. Along with GP, Jordan, Kobe, and Pippen as one of the greatest defenders of all time.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Somewhere in the top 25 all time. Ahead of Dirk.

good argument for top 15 but maybe slightly outside of it. Definitely top 20.

Ahead of Dirk

I have him top 15

I have him at #19 exactly, if you want me to list I will.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by Kool Boy
    I have him at #19 exactly, if you want me to list I will.
    Let's see what you got.