Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-13-2018, 03:02 PM   #1
BigKobeFan
81 on the Raptors

Default Lakers should not stretch Deng

https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/...luol-deng-soon.

Next year, he will be on the last year of the contract and obvious trade bait.

Best to just ride him out and make him sit on the bench. I mean bran ruined the cap anyways. There's no point of trying to make the salary even lower.
BigKobeFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 03:15 PM   #2
kennethgriffen
NBA lottery pick

Default Re: Lakers should not stretch Deng

the problem is

1) magic doesn't wanna give up any pieces to get someone. and in expiring contract deals usually picks and a young piece is included

and

2) the buss family is very divided and only focussed on making money/telling tickets. they have no intentions of going over the cap. which is why they let everyone walk over the past 5-6 years

they'll let ingram walk in 2 years same as randle if they sign another max free agent
kennethgriffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 03:30 PM   #3
postmupndunkit
BEASTING ON YOU BUMZ

I'm assuming with LeBron in town trying to win, that Deng will get quality minutes this season.
postmupndunkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 04:03 PM   #4
dreamwarrior
Good High School Starter

Still can't believe they paid Deng what they paid Kobe for his MVP season.
dreamwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 04:07 PM   #5
BigKobeFan
81 on the Raptors

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethgriffen
the problem is

1) magic doesn't wanna give up any pieces to get someone. and in expiring contract deals usually picks and a young piece is included

and

2) the buss family is very divided and only focussed on making money/telling tickets. they have no intentions of going over the cap. which is why they let everyone walk over the past 5-6 years

they'll let ingram walk in 2 years same as randle if they sign another max free agent

I don't mind giving up a pick with deng when it expires to get a max player. The pick is worthless, same with this steve nash pick.

If we have jeannie, I think we will be ok.
Old 08-13-2018, 04:16 PM   #6
bladefd
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by postmupndunkit
I'm assuming with LeBron in town trying to win, that Deng will get quality minutes this season.

Nah, I doubt it. I do think Deng can provide solid 10-15mpg, but I don't see Lakers going there.

I would just wait until next summer for trade possibility. If we don't find a taker for Deng's final year then one possibility would be partial buyout + stretch. $18mil left - maybe you can get him to agree to $16mil (someone out there will sign him for minimum to make up for a $2m cut). With 16m left, you can buyout $8mil then stretch the remaining amount out for 3yrs.

Or you can send cash considerations of say $8m alongside Deng and a future 1st rounder in a trade. The receiving team takes the cash & pick then waives Deng. Costs them $10mil for an extra 1st rounder. This is the best possibility short of someone taking a Deng salary dump.

I would wait a bit on stretching Deng outright. No need to rush it now..
bladefd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 04:17 PM   #7
BigKobeFan
81 on the Raptors

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladefd
Nah, I doubt it. I do think Deng can provide solid 10-15mpg, but I don't see Lakers going there.

I would just wait until next summer for trade possibility. If we don't find a taker for Deng's final year then best possibility would be partial buyout + stretch. $18mil left - maybe you can get him to agree to $16mil (someone out there will sign him for minimum to make up for a $2m cut). With 16m left, you can buyout $8mil then stretch the remaining amount out for 3yrs.

Or you can send cash considerations of say $8m alongside Deng and a future 1st rounder in a trade. The receiving team takes the cash & pick then waives Deng. Costs them $10mil for an extra 1st rounder.

No way they should stretch Deng, especially next year. Let him walk as an expirer.
Old 08-13-2018, 04:19 PM   #8
kennethgriffen
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKobeFan
I don't mind giving up a pick with deng when it expires to get a max player. The pick is worthless, same with this steve nash pick.

If we have jeannie, I think we will be ok.

jeanie is an accountant that only focusses on business side of the lakers. shes oblivious/clueless to the actual workings of making a team competitive. all she knows is the revenue side

she has divided siblings in her ear all the time and revenue sharing/luxury tax has been the death of their ability to go over the cap. they're not run by one obsessed guy anymore. they're run by trustfund kids that all want an equal cut of the pie.. why would any of them give a **** if the lakers are competitive. none of them get any credit anymore. just jeanie/magic/rob

if i was jim/joey/johnny/jesse/janie i would sue jeanie if she was paying hundreds of millions in luxury penalties
kennethgriffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 04:31 PM   #9
bladefd
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKobeFan
No way they should stretch Deng, especially next year. Let him walk as an expirer.

We can't let him walk as expirer in 2020 if that's what you are saying. We need money to sign a 2nd max deal next summer.

Next summer, we have to either:
1) trade him
2) stretch him
3) buy him out - worst case scenario bc he won't take a cut more than a mil or 2. Full buy-out is a real bad option imo because he would stay on the books for 2019-20 season.
4) partial buyout + stretch. Similar to #2 but you would essentially frontload the money, leaving less on the books last 3yrs once he is gone. Bit better than option 2 and much better than option 3, but definitely not as good as option 1..

Can't hold onto him through his final year because it would be equivalent to option #3.
Old 08-13-2018, 04:50 PM   #10
qrich
King Heno

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladefd

I would just wait until next summer for trade possibility. If we don't find a taker for Deng's final year then one possibility would be partial buyout + stretch. $18mil left - maybe you can get him to agree to $16mil (someone out there will sign him for minimum to make up for a $2m cut). With 16m left, you can buyout $8mil then stretch the remaining amount out for 3yrs.

Or you can send cash considerations of say $8m alongside Deng and a future 1st rounder in a trade. The receiving team takes the cash & pick then waives Deng. Costs them $10mil for an extra 1st rounder. This is the best possibility short of someone taking a Deng salary dump.

Max you can send in a trade is $5M and no team is going to take on Deng for what would be projected to be a late first rounder.

Plenty of teams will be having cap space next summer does not equate to them using it to swallow Deng's deal, even if it's an expiring without great incentive.
qrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 05:15 PM   #11
Haymaker
NBA rookie of the year

Is Deng that bad that you just pay him to sit out games?
Haymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 05:43 PM   #12
bladefd
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by qrich
Max you can send in a trade is $5M and no team is going to take on Deng for what would be projected to be a late first rounder.

Plenty of teams will be having cap space next summer does not equate to them using it to swallow Deng's deal, even if it's an expiring without great incentive.

I didn't know the limit was $5m. It's not exactly a deal breaker tbh. Late 1st rounder still has value. I guess you might have to add 2 1st rounder. I would do it tbh if I was a rebuilding team even if it's 2 later 1st rounders..

What about after he clears waivers and someone signs him for minimum? Would the minimum subtract from what the waiving team owes him at least on the books? I'm not sure if that only worked with amnesty clause years ago or if it would apply to players clearing the waivers too.. I always wondered about this..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haymaker
Is Deng that bad that you just pay him to sit out games?

He is too expensive if he plays 10-15mpg at $18m/yr.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: