Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    NBA lottery pick

Default Jahlil Okafor's ceiling

Is it more like Al Jefferson or Tim Duncan?

Default Re: Jahlil Okafor's ceiling

The Duncan comparisons never made sense to me. Impact-wise Duncan is one of the most dominant defensive players of all time...Okafor will never in his life approach what Duncan was at that end.

Quote Originally Posted by Milbuck
    The Duncan comparisons never made sense to me. Impact-wise Duncan is one of the most dominant defensive players of all time...Okafor will never in his life approach what Duncan was at that end.
    He might.

Very good NBA starter

You watched him play that much to know? Its only been like 3 games so far this year

Future NBA G.O.A.T inclinerator's Avatar

poor man's julius randle

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by inclinerator
    poor man's julius randle

Okafor is already 10 times the player Randle is.

He's still too young to tell how he will pan out but he already has a well refined offensive game that doesn't rely on his size but uses foot work and a good touch which bodes well for how he will translate to the NBA. He should be able to learn how to be at least an above average defender based on his physical gifts.

Quote Originally Posted by Cocaine80s
    You watched him play that much to know? Its only been like 3 games so far this year
    Saw him live at the UW-Duke game. Sat literally 20 feet away from him. It's really not that controversial to say he's not gonna be Duncan defensively, or at all close. We're talking about the best defender of his generation, at worst 2nd. Okafor has nowhere near the explosiveness, lateral quickness, instincts, or anywhere near the defensive IQ Duncan had.

Offensively he could be incredible. But I'm 100% confident he's not going to be a dominant defensive player. And that's 50% of what made Duncan, Duncan.

Banned

Saw him live at the UW-Duke game. Sat literally 20 feet away from him. It's really not that controversial to say he's not gonna be Duncan defensively, or at all close. We're talking about the best defender of his generation, at worst 2nd. Okafor has nowhere near the explosiveness, lateral quickness, instincts, or anywhere near the defensive IQ Duncan had.

Offensively he could be incredible. But I'm 100% confident he's not going to be a dominant defensive player. And that's 50% of what made Duncan, Duncan.
    Sounds about right. I still think he should be a good defender but your right that Duncan was an amazing defensive player while Okafor hasn't shown signs of that yet. Towns has looked like a better offensive player at this stage.

Decent college freshman

Didn't Duncan have overall more mobility than Okafor at the same age? I heard Okafor dropped weight over the summer, so he looks more athletic than he did his senior year, which is great for him.

I don't feel comfortable calling him the next Duncan when people say he's not special defensively or on the boards. His rebounding rate is fairly average compared to some other bigs in this draft right? He does have like a 7'6" wingspan, so that should help him become a decent defender hopefully.

He does have a really nice arsenal for his age and should be able to use both hands offensively, which will make him hard to guard. Ceiling?

A rich man's Big Al, in that he can be a better defender and use both hands? Idk. Need to watch some more of his games.

Local High School Star Magic731's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by outbreak

Okafor is already 10 times the player Randle is.

He's still too young to tell how he will pan out but he already has a well refined offensive game that doesn't rely on his size but uses foot work and a good touch which bodes well for how he will translate to the NBA. He should be able to learn how to be at least an above average defender based on his physical gifts.
    Funny because this time last year Randle was dominating with most people saying he was already better offensively than most bigs in the NBA.

Very good NBA starter

Idk hes only 18 though

Whos knows, I dont know how how good Duncan was in college

Quote Originally Posted by Cocaine80s
    Idk hes only 18 though

Whos knows, I dont know how how good Duncan was in college
    Duncan was freaking amazing in college.

I agree with Milbuck, Okafor just doesn't seem to have the athleticism that I'd want to see from a real superstar type big man. He just looks a step slow.

Idk I've only watched 2 Duke games this year, and he's honestly played pretty well in both, but I just haven't been all that impressed. He seems a half-step slower than what I expect from a prospect of his caliber, despite his good stats.

Like, when you watched Anthony Davis play in college, you could tell you were really seeing something special because of the way he would explode for those blocks. He would regularly step out and get blocks on guards and wings shooting 3's and it was a real 'wow' moment because that just isn't something a normal player can do. With Okafor, I don't get that sense from any part of his game.

Idk though, I look forward to watching him more.

Local High School Star wakencdukest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Magic731
    Funny because this time last year Randle was dominating with most people saying he was already better offensively than most bigs in the NBA.
    I'd take Okafor over Randle right now, based on a few games. He's got a post game that is probably more well developed than Randle's will ever be. Randle puts the ball on the floor and faces up almost every time he touches it, on top of that he doesn't really play above the rim.

higher than anyone in the 2014 draft not named joel embiid

Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    He might.
    no, he wont. not ever, not even close.