Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 12-20-2008, 07:41 PM   #16
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Raptors should hire Eddie Jordan as their head coach!!!

Quote:
There was also talk of a Jamal Crawford swap for Jose.
That would've been awful.

I don't think there is a GM on this Earth dumb enough to trade Calderon for a poor shooting volume scorer who does nothing well like Crawford. I'm glad the Raptors haven't pursued him in ANY form.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 07:52 PM   #17
ronnymac
NBA lottery pick

ronnymac is considered somewhat coolronnymac is considered somewhat coolronnymac is considered somewhat cool

The Warriors would be on that trade in a heart beat
ronnymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 07:55 PM   #18
Dasher
http://wp.me/L6Wr

Dasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
That would've been awful.

I don't think there is a GM on this Earth dumb enough to trade Calderon for a poor shooting volume scorer who does nothing well like Crawford. I'm glad the Raptors haven't pursued him in ANY form.
Crawford is a better player than Calderon. He would be the perfect compliment to Bosh. Outside of Chris the Raptors lack any dynamic players. Jose will not lose you any games because of how conservative he is, but he also will not win you any games because he can not ratchet up his play to the level that Jamal can.
Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 07:55 PM   #19
starface
Banned

starface has a near all-star reputation herestarface has a near all-star reputation herestarface has a near all-star reputation herestarface has a near all-star reputation herestarface has a near all-star reputation herestarface has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasher
Nah starface, BC has bungled every great piece that the team has had. #1 pick: bungled. TJ Ford:bungled, JM Calderon:bungled. The Blazers reportedly offered a nice package for Jose, BC stood pat. I feel he traded the wrong PG. When the center-piece of your team is a jumpshooting bigman, your PG has to be a playmaker/penetrator. There was also talk of a Jamal Crawford swap for Jose. Jamal would have been the dynamic second option that Chris has never had. The TJ Ford deal was terrible because it mortgaged this season on the health of Jermaine O'Neal and brought in another jumpshooter. The only silver lining the team has in the TJ deal is that next summer expirers may come back into vouge.

lol now that you mention it, i forgot that the Raptors actually did win the lottery a couple years back. i guess bargnani has become that irrelevant. still, that was one of the weakest drafts in recent memory. yeah brandon roy was on the board, but its not like ANYONE had him slotted in the top 3. its not like the raptors passed on roy and then the next team rushed up to take him. there was really nobody in that draft who was considered to be worthy of a #1 overall. i admit bargnani has sucked and collangelo has to take the blame for selecting him, but its not like there was much of a REASONABLE alternative. if they would have picked Roy #1 overall, MSG would have been stunned.

also i think you are putting too much stock into the value of the supposed trade possibilities from TJ Ford as well as undervaluing Calderon. I think the general point still stands, the majority of championship teams got there because they lucked into a star player. Hey, the Raptors got Bosh 4th overall and that made them pretty good. But he cant take them all the way, and how can they realistically get to a championship level? nothing they could have gotten for TJ Ford would have turned them into a championship team.
starface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 08:09 PM   #20
bagelred
Weird

bagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Interesting...because I think the Wizards should hire Sam Mitchell.

Irony......
bagelred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 08:21 PM   #21
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Crawford is a better player than Calderon. He would be the perfect compliment to Bosh. Outside of Chris the Raptors lack any dynamic players. Jose will not lose you any games because of how conservative he is, but he also will not win you any games because he can not ratchet up his play to the level that Jamal can.

You're joking right? Being "dynamic" doesn't mean anything if you can't shoot, make bad decisions, don't take advantage of your playmaking abilities and aren't a defender.

Calderon definitely falls under a couple of those categories as well but at least he's an efficient offensive player. I'd rather have his passiveness than Crawford's idiocy. Crawford is an inefficient jump shooter who, after 8 years now, is apparently too dumb to take advantage of his quickness and ball-handling. He is right up there with Stephen Jackson when it comes to overrated volume scorers.
Old 12-20-2008, 08:29 PM   #22
Dasher

Dasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
You're joking right? Being "dynamic" doesn't mean anything if you can't shoot, make bad decisions, don't take advantage of your playmaking abilities and aren't a defender.

Calderon definitely falls under a couple of those categories as well but at least he's an efficient offensive player. I'd rather have his passiveness than Crawford's idiocy. Crawford is an inefficient jump shooter who, after 8 years now, is apparently too dumb to take advantage of his quickness and ball-handling. He is right up there with Stephen Jackson when it comes to overrated volume scorers.
Calderon is on the level of Beno Udrih. He is not a the point guard of a contender. He is not a starter on a decent team. He is the epitome of a player who is merely okay. I would rather have Jamal Crawford on my team because he has to be accounted for the the opposition. Jose is not going to put any pressure on the opposing team, and he will be torched by whomever starts at PG for the opposition. Jamal's defense is superior to Jose's and he gets to the line at a respectable clip. He also does not turn the ball over as much as people think. In Don Nelson's uptempo system he is avergaging the same amount of turnovers as Jose. The reasons posters cream themselves over Jose are the reasons he is not a difference maker on the court. He is too conservative and does not truly effect the game. He is just out there trying to not make mistakes.
Old 12-20-2008, 08:30 PM   #23
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

I'd also rather have Beno Udrih than Jamal Crawford.

I'm totally not against trading Calderon and always thought Ford was the better fit for the Raptors. But not for trash like Crawford. He's a dumb player who can't shoot and yet takes tons of jump shots. Since he doesn't do anything notable in terms of D or playmaking, no thanks.
Old 12-20-2008, 08:37 PM   #24
starface
Banned

starface has a near all-star reputation herestarface has a near all-star reputation herestarface has a near all-star reputation herestarface has a near all-star reputation herestarface has a near all-star reputation herestarface has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Calderon is on the level of Beno Udrih. He is not a the point guard of a contender. He is not a starter on a decent team. He is the epitome of a player who is merely okay. I would rather have Jamal Crawford on my team because he has to be accounted for the the opposition. Jose is not going to put any pressure on the opposing team, and he will be torched by whomever starts at PG for the opposition. Jamal's defense is superior to Jose's and he gets to the line at a respectable clip. He also does not turn the ball over as much as people think. In Don Nelson's uptempo system he is avergaging the same amount of turnovers as Jose. The reasons posters cream themselves over Jose are the reasons he is not a difference maker on the court. He is too conservative and does not truly effect the game. He is just out there trying to not make mistakes.

dude come on now. not the point guard of a contender? didnt the Celtics win with Rondo? didnt the Cavs contend without an actual point guard on the roster? i seriously doubt that a team that has title quality players at 2 through 5 would fail to make it on account of Calderon.

i get the point that you'd rather have crawford than jose but i think youre bein a bit too dramatic here.
Old 12-20-2008, 08:44 PM   #25
Dasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by starface
dude come on now. not the point guard of a contender? didnt the Celtics win with Rondo? didnt the Cavs contend without an actual point guard on the roster? i seriously doubt that a team that has title quality players at 2 through 5 would fail to make it on account of Calderon.

i get the point that you'd rather have crawford than jose but i think youre bein a bit too dramatic here.
Rajon Rondo is one of the best defenders of his position in the NBA. I have stated before that I believe that Mo Williams is a better player than Jose. Mo played well in a slowdown offense under Jerry Sloan at Utah, and was a floor general type PG in college. The Bucks and The Cavs require him to be more of a scorer. Jose should be coming off the bench. The things he brings to your offense are offset by his horrid defense. He is in the bottom rung of pointguards when it comes to defense. A great offensive player generally will torch a great defender, but with Jose a below average PG will torch him, and get your bigs in foul trouble. Jose is not a playmaker. His best role would be Mike Bibby-esque secondary ballhandling spot-up shooter. Those players are a dime a dozen.
Old 12-20-2008, 08:48 PM   #26
starface
Banned

Quote:
I have stated before that I believe that Mo Williams is a better player than Jose. Mo played well in a slowdown offense under Jerry Sloan at Utah, and was

Yeah but Mo wasnt on the Cavs when they went to the finals two years ago and last year when they took the C's to 7.

and maybe rondo is a better player than calderon, but i doubt the difference is such that a team could win a title with rondo but that same team would fail to contend with Calderon. Come on now.
Old 12-20-2008, 08:53 PM   #27
Dasher

Did the Cavs win a game in The Finals? Did you really believe they had a shot then? Everyone knew that the Cavs had no shot, and the ratings beared it out, that the Cavs were just cannon fodder for the Spurs.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: