Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: Kobe needs to get his act together..

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Young

But you don't hear me though

Magic Johnson

Last night was the first time where Kobe's binge shooting really bothered me. It was annoying before, but I can see Kobe's selfishness rubbing off on Bynum. There were points during the second half where Kobe and Bynum literally traded off isolation plays. There was one play where Bynum got an offensive rebound, could've kicked it out for an open three, but chose to face up his man and try and take him off the dribble. He ended up passing to Artest, but he only did so because two or three defenders collapsed on him. Kobe is setting a bad precedent, and quite frankly this team isn't fun watching anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by LA_Showtime
    Last night was the first time where Kobe's binge shooting really bothered me. It was annoying before, but I can see Kobe's selfishness rubbing off on Bynum. There were points during the second half where Kobe and Bynum literally traded off isolation plays. There was one play where Bynum got an offensive rebound, could've kicked it out for an open three, but chose to face up his man and try and take him off the dribble. He ended up passing to Artest, but he only did so because two or three defenders collapsed on him. Kobe is setting a bad precedent, and quite frankly this team isn't fun watching anymore.
    The funny thing about all these Kobe guys who are now saying this type of stuff is that Kobe has played like this his WHOLE CAREER. He was talented enough, and lucky enough to have the perfect teams that enabled him to have success playing that way, but the way he plays is a reason why a lot of his detractors never liked him. We could admit that obviously he was a phenomenal basketball talent, but his selfish style rubbed people the wrong way. We can run down the list of all the high scoring, horrible percentage games he's had, hell even Swoosh who is a hardcore Bryant said that the 81 point game was essentially a study in ego. It was obvious that he's obsessed with scoring (due to his Jordan obsession).

The fact that he isn't making as many shots as he did before doesn't mean his game is any different than what it always was. Yet, we're called "haters" and all that for daring to point that out. Well, aren't you a "hater" now that it's even too much for you?

Magic Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by Knoe Itawl
    The funny thing about all these Kobe guys who are now saying this type of stuff is that Kobe has played like this his WHOLE CAREER. He was talented enough, and lucky enough to have the perfect teams that enabled him to have success playing that way, but the way he plays is a reason why a lot of his detractors never liked him. We could admit that obviously he was a phenomenal basketball talent, but his selfish style rubbed people the wrong way. We can run down the list of all the high scoring, horrible percentage games he's had, hell even Swoosh who is a hardcore Bryant said that the 81 point game was essentially a study in ego. It was obvious that he's obsessed with scoring (due to his Jordan obsession).

The fact that he isn't making as many shots as he did before doesn't mean his game is any different than what it always was. Yet, we're called "haters" and all that for daring to point that out. Well, aren't you a "hater" now that it's even too much for you?
    I've always had a problem with Kobe's style of play, but he's won 5 championships and has spent close to half of his career in the Finals. It would be stupid to openly complain when it worked.

It's different now. Kobe's getting old and he's trying to defy the aging process; it's a ****ing joke. His usage rate is ridiculously high, he's not facilitating (which isn't really a surprise, he stopped doing that after the 07-08 season), and his attitude's clearly rubbing off on Bynum.

It's different now. Kobe's getting old and he's trying to defy the aging process; it's a ****ing joke. His usage rate is ridiculously high, he's not facilitating (which isn't really a surprise, he stopped doing that after the 07-08 season), and his attitude's clearly rubbing off on Bynum.
    For a guy sporting a LA username, you really do know NOTHING about your team. There is a reason why Kobe has such a usage rate. And for one simple reason. Before the sessions trade he was the ONLY playmaker. As in, he played both the PG and SG position. He has been faciliting all season long. Are you for serious or what ?

Now, it's been going down steadily thanks to Sessions coming to the Lakers.

But all that work have taken a toll on his body. He's been averaging one of the most minutes out of anybody on the league this season. More minutes than Durant and Lebron. Yet he is like 10 years older than Durant.

Moreover tonight loss was on him. But it was a classic Lakers night. To begin with one of the 7 footer not showing up. MWP bricking 8 shot out of 10. The bench being garbage.

Magic Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by Punpun
    For a guy sporting a LA username, you really do know NOTHING about your team. There is a reason why Kobe has such a usage rate. And for one simple reason. Before the sessions trade he was the ONLY playmaker. As in, he played both the PG and SG position. He has been faciliting all season long. Are you for serious or what ?

But all that work have taken a toll on his body. He's been averaging one of the most minutes out of anybody on the league this season. More minutes than Durant and Lebron. Yet he is like 10 years older than Durant.

Moreover tonight loss was on him. But it was a classic Lakers night. To begin with one of the 7 footer not showing up. MWP bricking 8 shot out of 10. The bench being garbage.
    If Kobe's worn out from playing 38 to 40 minutes per game, then either he should tell Brown to get a clue or stop taking bad shots. Fatigue isn't an excuse to break the offense and play selfishly.

Gasol played well in the first quarter, and to a lesser extent in the first half, when the Lakers were actually moving the ball around. I'm not saying Kobe should shoulder all of the blame, but he shot like 7-25 when Bynum dominating down low. There's no reason for Kobe to shoot that much if he's going to shoot below 40%.

LeBron fan since 1988 AceManIII's Avatar

Where's your Godbe now?!

I've always had a problem with Kobe's style of play, but he's won 5 championships and has spent close to half of his career in the Finals. It would be stupid to openly complain when it worked.

I understand that as a fan of the team you grit your teeth and accept a style if it's bringing your team success, even if you dont' care for it. My point is that people that have always pointed this out about why they don't like Bryant were labeled as "haters" for saying essentially the same thing you're saying now.

The only difference is that those shots aren't going in at a higher clip and he doesn't have the personnel to cover for him like he used to. There's no other difference to his game. It's a style that worked with a heavily stacked frontcourt that could hide his selfishness, but now that that front court is compromised somehwat (though Bynum is beasting, Pau isn't having the same impact), plus the coaching has taken a step back and he's even less efficient, it is more evident.

I understand that as a fan of the team you grit your teeth and accept a style if it's bringing your team success, even if you dont' care for it. My point is that people that have always pointed this out about why they don't like Bryant were labeled as "haters" for saying essentially the same thing you're saying now.

The only difference is that those shots aren't going in at a higher clip and he doesn't have the personnel to cover for him like he used to. There's no other difference to his game. It's a style that worked with a heavily stacked frontcourt that could hide his selfishness, but now that that front court is compromised somehwat (though Bynum is beasting, Pau isn't having the same impact), plus the coaching has taken a step back, it is more evident.
    So basically Kobe won rings because of his "stacked" frontcourt comprising of gasol and odom I should say since Bynum were injured in those two runs.

And Lebron ofcourse hasn't won because he doesn't have enough help.

Is that right?
    LA_showtime, why u are talking to this phagit is beyond me, I have lost alot of respect for you.

Great college starter

Quote Originally Posted by Punpun

Nothing to do with taking 24 shots a game huh???

Great college starter

Quote Originally Posted by Bladers
    So basically Kobe won rings because of his "stacked" frontcourt comprising of gasol and odom I should say since Bynum were injured in those two runs.

Is that right?
    LA_showtime, why u are talking to this phagit is beyond me, I have lost alot of respect for you.

Oh my goodness, it's the end of the world!!

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

The only difference is that those shots aren't going in at a higher clip and he doesn't have the personnel to cover for him like he used to. There's no other difference to his game. It's a style that worked with a heavily stacked frontcourt that could hide his selfishness, but now that that front court is compromised somehwat (though Bynum is beasting, Pau isn't having the same impact), plus the coaching has taken a step back and he's even less efficient, it is more evident.
    Yea.

Kobe has shot 44.8% in the playoffs for his career. He's never been an extremely efficient scorer.

This is just the regular season though, and I really only care about the playoffs.

But using the playoffs last year, it really wasn't Kobe doing/playing all that differently. He's had stretches like that in the playoffs before. It was his team. Gasol wasn't great and guys just didn't step up.

Just like in 2010 it was the opposite. The Lakers could have easily lost that Thunder series...Kobe was not good. But Artest shut down Durant and Gasol played very well. With just a good and not very good to great team and coach around him...Kobe goes out in the first round in 2010.

Is that right?
    Bladers [COLOR="White"]is a phaggit[/COLOR]

NBA sixth man of the year Indian guy's Avatar

Kobe clearly doesn't have the legs/body anymore to play the style he's always done. Those ridiculous fadeaways just don't fall now. He needs to adjust, but I think he's too stubborn for that to happen.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Is that right?
    1. This has nothing to do with Lebron

2. Kobe is one of the best players ever. Of course it wasn't just his "stacked" teams....although his "stacked" teams certainly played a role. Kobe had the best supporting casts in the league for his first 8 years. No other player had more help than Kobe over that stretch. And then from 08 to present Kobe has had top 2 or top 3 help. You put other all time great players in situations like that and you'd see a lot of winning as well.

Kobe is a better basketball player than Dirk. I readily admit that. However, what do you think the results for Dirk would have been like playing his first 8 years with Shaq and being coached by Phil Jackson. What do you think he would have done with the kind of help that Kobe had from 08 to present?

That is why using that as the fall back argument just seems so flawed. You switch those two guys (and even though Kobe is a better player) and Dirk's results would simply be much better.

And also, I'm not using this regular season as an indicator of future playoff play. I could care less what happens in the regular season for proven players like Kobe. But if you think for a second that Kobe can continue to shot 42% on 24 shots a game in the playoffs and win...then you are nuts.

And he shouldn't win playing like this.