Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678
    Good college starter

Default Re: Over half of NBA players go broke after retiring

Quote Originally Posted by boozehound
    is this the article you are talking about? its the first freaking post in the thread.

and for the shaq expenses, well you could go to the free press and type in shaq expenses, but you dont seem the type so here you go, the entire document from his divorce proceedings

perhaps they have a grammar class here
    Ok again and if you have read the article they call it an educated estimate not an acutual study of players. Thats like saying 50 % of players smoke weed but where is the proof ? Again look at the whole picture. Many players only play 1 2 maybe 3 years make the league min. and have no other job skills so they go out into the real world. making 40 grand as a PE teacher ok at 26 thats not really bad it doesnt make them broke.

Good college starter

Quote Originally Posted by elz
    It's pretty obvious your using the NBA to spew your feelings on black inner city youth.

They said 60percent of they players lose their money.
    They didn't dice that 60 percent into groups.
    The stereotypical nature of your explanations and the assumptions of how poor people spend their money is proof of your true intent. So stop fronting
    and No I don't know if your racist this is a race card its a spade being called a spade. I just think you misguided and too caught up by what you see on TV and in the news cuz most of us ain't sht like this.

Just because you went to college doesn't make you good with money.
    Just because you don't own 10 cars, diamonds, ain't got kids, live in a mansion don't mean you invested it either.
    People outside the inner city, spend their money on stupid sht too.
    So please don't use this as a forum to tell your views on what black people from the inner cities problem are.

I think inflation has more to do with it.
    A mill ain't what it use to be. Those guys thought that 10, 20 and 30 mill would last a lifetime.

And please don't comment on illiteracy till you've gone to a public school and witnessed teachers that could careless and push kids with social disorders and learning disabilities through school because their athletic or likeable or scared or that particular student. Don't generalize, it's ignorant.

believe it or not I'm not insulting you
    I support this post 95% .To often when talking about the NBA people want to talk about the bad. Over paid, HOOD gangsters Thugs they dont love the game. BUt who are they talking about Steve Nash, Dirk, ???????? No most of the time they are talking about the black players . How about NASCAR drivers that make all that money I have never heard anyone say they are over paid for driving around in a circle 500 times.

Good college starter

Quote Originally Posted by Make It Rain
    Uh, did I say ALL are like that? I said most. And that's not a lie. Look at the statistics. I'm not gonna hide behind political correctness. I'm gonna flat out say it. I'm not racist. I don't have to watch the news. I see people pissing their life away daily. And what's it have to do with race anyway? I said inner city kids. I've seen plenty of kids make it out without sports. Maybe if you and everyone else would stop making excuses for them, they'd get their act together. Everyone I grew up around still thinks life is about money and drugs. And these are people in their mid-to-late-20s. And where did I say what I said applies to all people of the group? I said most. And that is, in fact, true. But now that you bring up race. Explain to me why African Americans are at the bottom of the literacy rate and test score statistics? Why is it that, IMMIGRANTS, that come to this country with absolutely nothing, fare better? Something's wrong with the culture in the inner cities. Nobody wants to address it because they think it's politically incorrect. Bill Cosby has been trying to fix up neighborhoods and telling them to shift gears and turn away from this new age of hip hop that promotes violence and drugs. And he gets crucified for it by the same black community he's trying to fix up. I didn't want to turn it into a race issue but you brought it up. I'm not racist, but I'm not gonna be politically correct just to make you feel better. I've got plenty of black friends. And none of them do drugs or go around calling girls b!tches and h oes. They also use proper grammar and avoid using the word ain't 50 times a sentence like you do.
    I can appreciate your honesty . But first lets not look at inner city kids and forget about the poor white kids in this country. The bottom line is its not the kids look at the money spent in the rich schools compared to the poor schools. If Im a parent and I can afford it my child will go to the best school but if I have no choice my child is faced with the worst school system in the free world. You show that there is a bit of dislike for blacks when you dont address the behavior of poor whites its a group of lower class people not a race issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Make It Rain
    But now that you bring up race. Explain to me why African Americans are at the bottom of the literacy rate and test score statistics? Why is it that, IMMIGRANTS, that come to this country with absolutely nothing, fare better? Something's wrong with the culture in the inner cities. Nobody wants to address it because they think it's politically incorrect. Bill Cosby has been trying to fix up neighborhoods and telling them to shift gears and turn away from this new age of hip hop that promotes violence and drugs. And he gets crucified for it by the same black community he's trying to fix up. I didn't want to turn it into a race issue but you brought it up. I'm not racist, but I'm not gonna be politically correct just to make you feel better. I've got plenty of black friends. And none of them do drugs or go around calling girls b!tches and h oes. They also use proper grammar and avoid using the word ain't 50 times a sentence like you do.
    there's a great documentary on the creation of suburbia in america that gives a theory on where this cycle stems from. it explains how blacks were kept out of suburbia and essentially forced into the cities and/or the projects [which were mixed-income housing at the time]. i forgot the name but i'll try and find it.

anyway, from there it shows the difference in funding between public schools in the poor communities and schools in wealthier communities.

visit the new york city public school system, it's probably one of the sadder sights you'll ever see in your life. there aren't enough textbooks, there aren't enough desks; students, in turn, are sharing text books and sitting on the floor or radiators. teachers are teaching classes in janitorial closets for christ's sake. go to a high school in a upper-middle class neighborhood and notice the difference. smart boards, computer labs, over the top gymnasiums and fitness centers, these kids get the works. do you honestly mean to tell me kids deserve a better education because of simple chance of birth? in the 'greatest nation in the world', the land of opportunity? nah, that aint right.

education is the issue. without proper education, what more could you expect from the ghetto besides an uneducated product?

don't get me wrong these kids should be striving to achieve what they can and should make the best out of a bad situation, but they shouldn't have to at school, the thought that they should is ridiculous

Banned

Honestly moving out of a horrible school system ( was eventually taken over by the state) was the biggest move in my life.

Went from an ok student to a really good one. Went to a good college and will soon be in a good law school. I pretty sure I would have made it out of hometown but moving to a nice suburb made things a lot easier.

Good college starter

Quote Originally Posted by elz
    before or after taxes dck head!

a million ain't sht
    you can't retire on a million
    and if you think so, your dumber than these athletes you keep trying to insult
    yes you can. most people dont even make a million (after taxes) in there lifetime

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Bump due to newest topic...

Local High School Star No_Look604's Avatar

Yeah well considering a top 50 player of all-time only made like 1-2 million a year for his entire year...that ****'s believable.

it makes me sick to think that a guy like Big Country Reeves...''might've'' made more $$$ than Scottie Pippen...contract wise.

Learning to shoot layups

Haven't read the last few pages due to flame wars, but maybe some of the statistics are from back in the day when players didnt have outrageous contracts...

I could see a lot of old school ballers goin broke, same as almost any sport. When did monster contracts start? Around the 70's? Man highest paid athlete for our main sport would be lucky to earn much more then a mil a year...and we still ***** about them being overpaid!

Future D1 Dad

translated that over 1/2 of nba players are dumb. to not invest or save a crapload of the $ they get is absurd.