Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Local High School Star

Default Re: Book-smart NBA Players

Quote Originally Posted by russwest0
    I have a 3.5 GPA in college, almost a junior now

am I smart?
    I think that is a passing grade, but certainly not a good one, like I said it may be a different system.
    What are you studying?
    For example I'm in the high 5 range (and I need to stay above 5.0 if I want to do my masters)

I rule the local playground unknowns8's Avatar

I was surprised Westbrook wasn't on there. He finished in the top of his class in HS, was a valid Victorian, and would have been accepted to UCLA, Stanford, or other schools based off of his academic record alone.

I come from New South Wales ... therefore ... I'm not a valid Victorian

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by unknowns8

lol I was high while typing that, not that I couldn't type right or whatever, I just didn't care

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Akrazotile
    Not if you think anyone actually believes that
    Edit: here's my proof phakkit. Right off the transcript

college in the south is a joke ^^^ you can have an IQ hovering around room temp and still get a 3.2 GPA

Edit: here's my proof phakkit. Right off the transcript

Where do you go? And how does GPA work?

In England we just have percentages for each piece of work/exam for each module which have different weightings depending on the length or importance of the work. They get averaged until you have six percentages (one for each module) then averaged again so you get one. 40%-59% is a 2.2 (the lowest passing grade, 3rd class honours or lower 2nd class), 60-69% is a 2.1 (the middle grade, 2nd class honours or upper 2nd class) and 70% and above is a 1st (top grade, 1st class honours).

Banned

Andrew nicholson deserves a mention, physics major who is supposed to be a massive science nerd

Banned

I am a proud valid victorian, born and raised

Banned

Ah, so you're a Mexican :)

The Pau Gasol attending med school thing is always blown out of proporting by the American media. It works differently in Spain.
    At the time when Gasol was going to school, they used to average your HS grades with your grades in a national university access exam. Then each uni would set their minimum acceptance grade for each major, and accept the top grades among all applicants over their minimum grade until they filled their capacity. Minimum grade for med school used to be anywhere from 7 to 8 (out of 10) back then, which is above average, but nothing extraordinary.
    The hard part was not getting in, but staying in. Dropout rates are in the high seventies in the first year, and it's a really long and demanding major (6 yr. major + 3 yr. specialization). I believe Gasol managed to be accepted, but only attended for a few months before dropping out to play ball.

NBA All-star

I don't know if people consider interpretation skill to be the same or different than being "book-smart"

but the ability to interpretate books/words from the writer, makes a lot of things boring, unless you could use those information for a profit of course.

memorization? you're working for others, and not reaping your own profit.

Quote Originally Posted by NBAplayoffs2001
    no offense to matt bonner. but there are high schools out there that getting such high GPAs isn't hard. I never took high school valedictorians seriously because I know of a few burnouts in high school that ended up going to some like ridiculous grad school cause they got their act together. And #1 is ridiculous. a 3.5 gpa with those majors deserves a high five and a fist pump to the chest for respect and for anyone who has prepared or taken the MCAT, a 34 is no easy feat whatsoever. There are pre meds out there that would die for that score. Smart man!
    I beat #1's SAT score 1470 I slept through high school and ended up with a 3.85. Tried to sleep through college and graduated with a 3.00 (3.4 in major). I didn't even get the highest SAT score in my family. My brother was well into the 1500's (just math and reading, now there is a writing part and the whole thing is out of 2400)

Quote Originally Posted by TheMilkyBarKid
    I think that is a passing grade, but certainly not a good one, like I said it may be a different system.
    What are you studying?
    For example I'm in the high 5 range (and I need to stay above 5.0 if I want to do my masters)
    3.5 in America is an A. American colleges go on a 4 point scale.
    Last edited by ralph_i_el; 07-24-2014 at 08:27 AM.

NBA All-star

Quote Originally Posted by ralph_i_el
    I beat #1's SAT score 1470 I slept through high school and ended up with a 3.85. Tried to sleep through college and graduated with a 3.00 (3.4 in major). I didn't even get the highest SAT score in my family. My brother was well into the 1500's (just math and reading, now there is a writing part and the whole thing is out of 2400)

3.5 in America is an A. American colleges go on a 4 point scale.

thinking back, I generally choked in sleeping through classes with a large class size. when the class size gets smaller, I communicate even while I sleep.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by ralph_i_el
    I don't know why, but your scores don't surprise me.

Mozart Basketball no pun intended's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NBAplayoffs2001
    no offense to matt bonner. but there are high schools out there that getting such high GPAs isn't hard. I never took high school valedictorians seriously because I know of a few burnouts in high school that ended up going to some like ridiculous grad school cause they got their act together. And #1 is ridiculous. a 3.5 gpa with those majors deserves a high five and a fist pump to the chest for respect and for anyone who has prepared or taken the MCAT, a 34 is no easy feat whatsoever. There are pre meds out there that would die for that score. Smart man!
    I'm actually taking my MCAT in less than 2 months ):