Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Worst championship supporting casts

What Duncan did with that 2003 squad was ****ing incredible. 24/17/5/5/1 on 55% TS in the Finals...109 ORTG / 83 DRTG...if you value defense as you should, Duncan had one of the most dominant championship runs you'll ever see, that was the prime example of carrying a mediocre cast to a title.

Quote Originally Posted by Milbuck
    What Duncan did with that 2003 squad was ****ing incredible. 24/17/5/5/1 on 55% TS in the Finals...109 ORTG / 83 DRTG...if you value defense as you should, Duncan had one of the most dominant championship runs you'll ever see, that was the prime example of carrying a mediocre cast to a title.
    83 rtg is beyond crazy even if the pace of Spurs was slow, that's phenominal in every way imaginable.

94 Olajuwon
    11 Dirk
    03 Duncan
    75 Barry

Probably the only 4 players to near-singlehandedly win a chip

Quote Originally Posted by Dbrog
    94 Olajuwon
    11 Dirk
    03 Duncan
    75 Barry

Probably the only 4 players to near-singlehandedly win a chip
    stop acting like you saw 75 Barry s championship run

Quote Originally Posted by livinglegend
    stop acting like you saw 75 Barry s championship run
    I obviously didn't see the whole series. I've seen games of his though and it's pretty amazing. If you wanna see the disparity with his teammates the stats do it justice. Go ahead and look em up. Meanwhile Barry was giant killing against elite teams. Hell he averaged 40pts in a playoffs before

Hakeem '94
    Barry '75

The only correct answer. Neither Dirk '11 nor Duncan '03 had a bad supporting cast (no star teammates doesnt mean cast is terrible), actually it was good in both cases and playing out of their minds.

Quote Originally Posted by Harison
    Hakeem '94
    Barry '75

The only correct answer. Neither Dirk '11 nor Duncan '03 had a bad supporting cast (no star teammates doesnt mean cast is terrible), actually it was good in both cases and playing out of their minds.

2003 Champ Spurs - Rounding up
    Duncan - 25/15/5/3, 53%
    Tony - 15/3/4, 40%
    Stephen - 13/4/3, 41%
    Manu - 9/4/3, 39%
    Robinson - 8/7, 54%
    Malik Rose - 9/6, 42%

1994 Champ Rockets - Rounding up
    Hakeem - 29/11/4/4, 52%
    Maxwell - 14/4/4, 38%
    Horry - 12/6/4, 43%
    Thorpe - 11/9, 57%
    JET - 11/4, 46%
    Cassell - 9/4, 39%

Pretty even if you ask me. Duncan's team would probably be considered significantly worse if it wasn

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Milbuck
    Jason Kidd was carrying a similar level team just as far.. kerry kittles, kenyon martin.. no worse than david robinson, S-jax, manu ginobili, tony parker, popovich coaching.. The nets outside Kidd were no better than the spurs outside duncan.

In fact, I'd take d-rob, manu, parker, jackson, etc. all over the nets supporting cast.. and I dont even think you can debate that its even close.

Quote Originally Posted by tpols
    Jason Kidd was carrying a similar level team just as far.. kerry kittles, kenyon martin.. no worse than david robinson, S-jax, manu ginobili, tony parker, popovich coaching.. The nets outside Kidd were no better than the spurs outside duncan.

In fact, I'd take d-rob, manu, parker, jackson, etc. all over the nets supporting cast.. and I dont even think you can debate that its even close.
    Kenyon Martin has gotten severely underrated in recent years. He was a stud, and better than any of Duncan's teammates in 03 -- he was a 20/10 player at that point. Are you seriously taking negative impact Parker over him, or am I just reading your post wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by T_L_P
    Kenyon Martin has gotten severely underrated in recent years. He was a stud, and better than any of Duncan's teammates in 03 -- he was a 20/10 player at that point. Are you seriously taking negative impact Parker over him, or am I just reading your post wrong?
    K-mart was good defensively.. good energizer/tough guy.. but he was no stud. He did absolutely nothing outside of jason kidd.

He's an 11/6 player career stats w/o kidd. Role player stuff.

Kidd joined a 20 something win team with no expectations for shit.. and turned them into perrenial contenders.. While Duncan joined a team with a soon to be GOAT coach, one of the GOAT level centers as mentor and leader, and a bunch of HOF caliber euopean prospects.. he just had waaay more. And its not really that close.

Thats why I think his 03 is overrated.. beat a laker team exhausted coming off 3 championships, and then faced one of the weaker teams ever in the Finals..

[QUOTE=Dbrog]
    Pretty even if you ask me. Duncan's team would probably be considered significantly worse if it wasn

Quote Originally Posted by tpols
    K-mart was good defensively.. good energizer/tough guy.. but he was no stud. He did absolutely nothing outside of jason kidd.

He's an 11/6 player career stats w/o kidd. Role player stuff.

Kidd joined a 20 something win team with no expectations for shit.. and turned them into perrenial contenders.. While Duncan joined a team with a soon to be GOAT coach, one of the GOAT level centers as mentor and leader, and a bunch of HOF caliber euopean prospects.. he just had waaay more. And its not really that close.
    Of course Duncan had more than Kidd. That's not debatable.

But Kenyon Martin, in 2003, was better than any of Duncan's teammates, with the slight exception of D. Rob, who was nothing more than a great role player. . You can't just chalk it up to Kidd making him better, because in the Finals he was asked to hold Duncan to a standstill and be the Nets' second best offensive producer.

So are you still really taking 03 Parker over 03 Martin? Like I said, I'm not debating that Duncan had more help. He did. But to say his 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th options were better than Kidd's 2nd is ludicrous.
    Last edited by T_L_P; 07-21-2014 at 03:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Harison
    You forgot competition, Dreams was significantly harder. While Duncan's "terrible cast whom he was carrying" were blowing out prime Shaq and Kobe out of the water 114-95 with Duncan having only 12 points like in Game2, doesnt seem like cast was terrible, isnt? We could also add elite all-around D and arguably GOAT coach.

Then in the Finals Spurs met Nets who were a weak team (from super weak East at that time) with no front court to speak off. Not exactly victory anyone would be cherishing, real Finals were vs Lakers.

Thats why what Hakeem or Barry did >> Duncan's '03. Not because it wasnt great, but it wasnt among few THE greatest of All-time.
    You can't bring up competition when Duncan ENDED the dynasty Lakers while Hakeem grabbed a chip while MJ was retired. Besides, Duncan won with defense moreso than offense. In that particular game I doubt the Spurs would have even won if Bruce didn't have the game of his life. He had a Donyell Marshall moment. Duncan averaged 28/12/5 that series DESPITE the 12pt game. It seems you have forgotten context.

Edit: BTW tpols what you smokin? Kmart way better than 03 Parker/Gino/Drob. Lol @ him only being 11/6 without Kidd. He was clearly much better than that. You gonna talk about how bad Jermaine Oneal was when he didn't have the Pacers next?
    Last edited by Dbrog; 07-21-2014 at 03:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by T_L_P
    None of this really addressed my post. Of course Duncan had more than Kidd. That's not debatable.

But Kenyon Martin, in 2003, was better than any of Duncan's teammates. You can't just chalk it up to Kidd making him better, because in the Finals he was asked to hold Duncan to a standstill and be the Nets' second best offensive producer.

So are you still really taking 03 Parker over 03 Martin? Like I said, I'm not debating that Duncan had more help. He did. But to say his 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th options were better than Kidd's 2nd is ludicrous.
    I never said duncans 3rd or 4th options were better than kenyon. Just that the whole of his SA teammates were better than the whole of Kidd's. Which you agree with according to the bolded.

I just find it funny when people at duncan's Finals numbers... like, he was facing a team with NO frontcourt and he had MORE help than his superstar opponent. And this is supposed to be some crazy 'how'd he do it' type thing?

If you had money you'd be retarded not to throw it on the spurs in the Finals that year. They were just clearly better. Shaq destroyed them in a sweep the previous year... they wouldnt have even made the Finals if they were a western conference team.. the whole team was literally all Kidd.

Local High School Star

1977 Bill Walton