Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Kids and street ballers strive to be like...

Kids and street ballers strive to be like...MJ, melo, kobe, ray allen, reggie, dr j, durant, iverson, magic, bird, shaq and other greats but Why do kids and various street ballers don't want to personate Tim duncan in a positive way on the court? Even people like to be like lebron on the court only for dunks but damn it must be pretty damn sad that nobody wants to be like Tim Duncan or even wear his jersey and payless sneakers Why ISH? Why people don't want to ascend like Tim?

Default Re: Kids and street ballers strive to be like...

Real14 with an actual quality topic.

I don't know the answer to the question, but it is too bad no one wants to be Duncan. One of the greatest players the game has seen.

People care more about highlights than actual success. Like the people who voted Griffin over Duncan as a starter for the All-Star game a few years back. Yet Griffin will never touch Duncan's achievements unless his prime is somehow godly.

Good college starter NZStreetBaller's Avatar

its because kids want to be cool and do fancy moves. tim is great but hes boring.

Decent college freshman Mass Debator's Avatar

because the average street ballers style is relative to their size and frame.

Show me someone that is 6-10 and he will play similar to tim duncan

now how many times have you seen someone 6 10 at the park, rarely.

I bet coaches would love it if more players strived to be like Duncan. Unselfish, unassuming, hard working, fundamentally sound student of the game. Doesn't talk trash, just lets his game do the talking.

Quote Originally Posted by nathanjizzle
    because the average street ballers style is relative to their size and frame.

Show me someone that is 6-10 and he will play similar to tim duncan

now how many times have you seen someone 6 10 at the park, rarely.

That makes no sense. You could easily say, why aren't people playing like Andre Miller. Plenty of guys have his size and frame.

Quote Originally Posted by Real14
    Kids and street ballers strive to be like...MJ, melo, kobe, ray allen, reggie, dr j, durant, iverson, magic, bird, shaq and other greats but Why do kids and various street ballers don't want to personate Tim duncan in a positive way on the court? Even people like to be like lebron on the court only for dunks but damn it must be pretty damn sad that nobody wants to be like Tim Duncan or even wear his jersey and payless sneakers Why ISH? Why people don't want to ascend like Tim?

I love me some ISH, and Im really DIGGIN' you making a quality thread.

Props Repped!

I don't want to make this all about race but I do have something to add involving race.

The same reasons black kids don't strive to play like Tim Duncan is the same reason IMO that black kids play basketball and football over/before baseball.

Tim Duncan's style is not flashy or even all the exciting to watch. Just like basketball and football are much more fast paced, flashy, continuously exciting and baseball is a slower paced, less exciting moments kind of game.

Outside the Lines did a great piece about the percentage of black kids playing baseball and how much it has dropped every decade.

Non flashy and/or slower paced players/sports aren't as attention grabbing as faster paced and/or flashy players/sports.

p.s. - what I just said was somewhat evidenced by Jackie Robinson West LL baseball team out of Chicago. It got so much national press because you simply don't see black kids playing baseball as much anymore. But they should, it's a great sport and they have all the tools to be great at it. Hopefully it sparks something across the country. Baseball is another tool to get out of a place you may not want to be.
    Last edited by Dengness9; 08-28-2014 at 04:52 PM.

I usually hit open layups

Quote Originally Posted by NZStreetBaller
    its because kids want to be cool and do fancy moves. tim is great but hes boring.
    The "Duncan/Spurs boring" stuff is such a joke. If you appreciate the game of basketball, I don't understand how you could possibly make that statement.

If a guy doesn't finish with windmill dunks, he's boring? Such a joke lol I can't stand when people say that. Duncan is one of the most complete players ever. Nothing boring about the way he plays just because he doesn't twist his body in mid-air or embellish his body movements.

You would prefer to watch a player perform at a far inferior quality, just so you can watch him tomahawk dunk every 3 quarters.

Quote Originally Posted by Dengness9

Props Repped!

I don't want to make this all about race but I do have something to add involving race.

The same reasons black kids don't strive to play like Tim Duncan is the same reason IMO that black kids play basketball and football over/before baseball.

Tim Duncan's style is not flashy or even all the exciting to watch. Just like basketball and football are much more fast paced, flashy, continuously exciting and baseball is a slower paced, less exciting moments kind of game.

Outside the Lines did a great piece about the percentage of black kids playing baseball and how much it has dropped every decade.

Non flashy and/or slower paced players/sports aren't as attention grabbing as faster paced and/or flashy players/sports.
    Thanks bro and I agree with this but even other races don't want to be like duncan, I think its because he's a manufactured robot who's corny with no style.

Learning to shoot layups cruthikai352's Avatar

thought Tim wore Adidas

Quote Originally Posted by CelticBalla32
    The "Duncan/Spurs boring" stuff is such a joke. If you appreciate the game of basketball, I don't understand how you could possibly make that statement.

If a guy doesn't finish with windmill dunks, he's boring? Such a joke lol I can't stand when people say that. Duncan is one of the most complete players ever. Nothing boring about the way he plays just because he doesn't twist his body in mid-air or embellish his body movements.

You would prefer to watch a player perform at a far inferior quality, just so you can watch him tomahawk dunk every 3 quarters.

I LOVE Timmy, but it's pretty much commonly accepted, he plays so fundamentally sound, that it's harder for younger people to grasp it and get excited by it.

Because my dude, I totally agree, he is one of the greatest most complete players ever, and watching him has been such a privilege.

5-time NBA All-Star

If you are going to daydream about being like another person its rarely going to be the guy that looks super ordinary in his approach. If you are boring you don't want to be like another boring guy. If you are exciting you don't want to be a guy on the lowest frequency. While very competitive, he doesn't have a strong Yang presence. Its like going to a Will Smith movie and getting excited about the bland guy in the background - who does that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dengness9

Props Repped!

p.s. - what I just said was somewhat evidenced by Jackie Robinson West LL baseball team out of Chicago. It got so much national press because you simply don't see black kids playing baseball as much anymore. But they should, it's a great sport and they have all the tools to be great at it. Hopefully it sparks something across the country. Baseball is another tool to get out of a place you may not want to be.

This is very true, some people even call Duncan an Uncle Tom.