Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Did a prime/near prime Shaq or Duncan ever have a bad playoff series?

Default Re: Did a prime/near prime Shaq or Duncan ever have a bad playoff series?

05 Duncan in the finals?

Banned

Default Re: Did a prime/near prime Shaq or Duncan ever have a bad playoff series?

duncan won finals mvp averaging like 20 points on 40% in 2005. worst finals mvp ever IMO

Tim Duncan was the FMVP, and averaged 20 (maintained regular season average) and 14 (improved regular season average). His percentage dropped but he was facing a top 3 defense in the league in a tough, physical 7 game series that almost reminded you of the 90s...

So no, 2005 is not a good choice.

National High School Star

Were you even old enough to watch them?

Great college starter

Bad? no
    Sub-par?? yup
    I don't think any great had a bad series ever.

One of the Goodfellas NBAplayoffs2001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BoutPractice
    Tim Duncan was the FMVP, and averaged 20 (maintained regular season average) and 14 (improved regular season average). His percentage dropped but he was facing a top 3 defense in the league in a tough, physical 7 game series that almost reminded you of the 90s...

So no, 2005 is not a good choice.
    The first NBA finals that I watched each game . Drinking pepsi and eating Dominos pizza with friends on summer nights while watching this. 7 game series, all the excitement awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Big#50
    Bad? no
    Sub-par?? yup
    I don't think any great had a bad series ever.
    LeBron- 2011 Finals
    Kobe- 2004 Finals

I didn't watch the following ones, so I'm not 100% sure if these were actually "bad" series or not, so if anyone knows they can clarify

Kareem- 1973 vs. Warriors
    Wilt- 1969 NBA Finals
    Magic- 1983 NBA Finals
    Bird- 1983 vs. Bucks, 1985 Finals, 1988 vs. Pistons
    Hakeem- 1990 vs. Lakers

Duncan was held to a measly 9 points in Game 3 of the 2001 west conference playoffs vs the Lakers in a 39 point loss.

Great college starter

Quote Originally Posted by SouBeachTalents
    LeBron- 2011 Finals
    Kobe- 2004 Finals

I didn't watch the following ones, so I'm not 100% sure if these were actually "bad" series or not, so if anyone knows they can clarify

Kareem- 1973 vs. Warriors
    Wilt- 1969 NBA Finals
    Magic- 1983 NBA Finals
    Bird- 1983 vs. Bucks, 1985 Finals, 1988 vs. Pistons
    Hakeem- 1990 vs. Lakers
    I said GREATS.

According to GameScore, anything under 10 is bad for a star.

Duncan's lowest from 98-08 (his prime) was the 08 Western Conference Semis vs. the Hornets (13.2).

He averaged 15/13/3/1/1/.475 TS% for the series. However, Duncan was sick during the first two games. From games 3-7 he averaged 17/16/3/2 with a GameScore of 15.2.

Duncan's worst series for me was against the Lakers in 04. He choked that one, but he was still far and away his team's best player, and it wasn't a bad series.

Great college starter

Quote Originally Posted by T_L_P
    According to GameScore, anything under 10 is bad for a star.

Duncan's lowest from 98-08 (his prime) was the 08 Western Conference Semis vs. the Hornets (13.2).

He averaged 15/13/3/1/1/.475 TS% for the series. However, Duncan was sick during the first two games. From games 3-7 he averaged 17/16/3/2 with a GameScore of 15.2.

Duncan's worst series for me was against the Lakers in 04. He choked that one, but he was still far and away his team's best player, and it wasn't a bad series.
    **** no. IN 04 he was hacked almost every play by Malone and Shaq. NO calls because the fix for the four legends was in.

Shooting bad? Playing bad D? Turning the ball over? Not delivering when it matters? Yep.... mostly Duncan tho, but he has been bailed out most of the time thanks to his star teammates and won many of those series anyways, mostly thanks to Tony Parker & Manu Ginobili (who would lead in points while shooting higher % & close out games in the clutch when Duncan didnt have it going or often even when he had it going) and ofcourse David Robinson....
    Last edited by pauk; 08-26-2014 at 06:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pauk
    Shooting bad? Playing bad D? Turning the ball over? Not delivering when it matters? Yep....
    Do tell sir

NBA rookie of the year HOoopCityJones's Avatar

07 Shaq.