Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
    Decent playground baller

Default The Biggest Myths on Insidehoops

*Long OP* This is a thread I wanted to make for a long time. Even though my join date is 2012, I have been on this site lurking since 2009. I remember everything most of you say and many of you have said one of these myths at one point or the other. Many of you think these myths are true because if you repeat it so many times you think it turns into a fact, but they are not facts. These are the biggest myths on ISH I could think of that are blatantly wrong and/or hilarious. If you have anymore feel free to name some. If you think my myths are wrong then explain why. Thanks for taking the time to read this thread. Let's make this fun!

Myths:

Kobe Bryant scored 55 points on Michael Jordan

Ray Allen saved LeBron James' career in Game 6 of the 2013 NBA Finals

LeBron James quit in Game 5 against the Boston Celtics

Kobe Bryant quit against the Phoenix Suns when the Los Angeles Lakers were up 3-1

Hakeem Olajuwon is a top 10 player and should be ahead of LeBron James in all-time rankings

Everyone hates LeBron James

Chicago Bulls did not beat any top teams in their 6 NBA Finals appearances

What you say on ISH or online is what people really think about the NBA and superstars in the real world

The NBA in the 1990s was a weak era for basketball

No defense was played in the NBA in the 1980s

The NBA prior to 1979 never existed

Miami Heat 2011-2012 championship should be an asterisk because of the lockout season (66 game season - full postseason of best of 7 series playoff games) but San Antonio Spurs 1998-1999 championship in the lockout season is often ignored (50 game season - full postseason of best of 7 playoff games)

Miami Heat free agency signings in 2010 was collusion

Chris Bosh was a superstar before coming to Miami

Chris Bosh is a 20/10 player on another NBA team

NBA players prior to 1979 wouldn't make a high school team let alone an NBA team in today's NBA.

Anything related to Wilt Chamberlain

Michael Jordan is a bald headed Dominique Wilkins

Michael Jordan was 1-9 in the playoffs before Scottie Pippen showed up in Chicago *Note: this is a myth because Scottie Pippen was traded to the Bulls in 1987 and he developed as a player on the Bulls, so how can someone say Jordan never succeeded without Pippen when they basically played together for most of Jordan's tenure in Chicago? It would be different if Pippen of 1991 came to Chicago in 1991, but he was there from 1987 to 1998.*

Kobe Bryant was the best player in the NBA in the early 2000s

Michael Jordan only won his championships because the Pistons, Lakers & Celtics got older and became injured.

Chicago Bulls would have won the 1993-1994 championship or advanced to the NBA Finals if Pippen didn't get called for that foul on Hubert Davis.

Everyone will remember my biased opinion about a certain time in NBA history 10-20 years from now, e.g. People will remember LeBron James' performance in the 2011 NBA Finals even if he has a hypothetical 6 MVPs, 5 rings, 5 Finals MVPs, 1 DPOY Award, etc.
    Last edited by Koresh; 07-07-2014 at 05:42 PM.

Default Re: The Biggest Myths on Insidehoops

2/5

I've been a Lakers fan since 1985!

Miami had fans before 2010

Banned

So Ray Allens shot didnt save LeBron from a possible 1/5 record?

Decent playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by Black and White
    So Ray Allens shot didnt save LeBron from a possible 1/5 record?
    No. The game wasn't over. If he hit the 3PT at the buzzer to win the game then yes, but that didn't happen. The game was tied and they went into overtime. People seem to forget that this series went to 7 games and LeBron had a memorable performance to seal the deal. Also, Allen's shot wasn't a miracle shot. Tony Parker's BS shot in Game 1 was a miracle.

15x all nba legend TheMarkMadsen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Koresh
    *Long OP* This is a thread I wanted to make for a long time. Even though my join date is 2012, I have been on this site lurking since 2009. I remember everything most of you say and many of you have said one of these myths at one point or the other. Many of you think these myths are true because if you repeat it so many times you think it turns into a fact, but they are not facts. These are the biggest myths on ISH I could think of that are blatantly wrong and/or hilarious. If you have anymore feel free to name some. If you think my myths are wrong then explain why. Thanks for taking the time to read this thread. Let's make this fun!

Myths:

Kobe Bryant quit against the Phoenix Suns when the Los Angeles Lakers were up 3-1

Hakeem Olajuwon is a top 10 player and should be ahead of LeBron James in all-time rankings

What you say on ISH or online is what people really think about the NBA and superstars in the real world

Miami Heat 2011-2012 championship should be an asterisk because of the lockout season (66 game season - full postseason of best of 7 series playoff games) but San Antonio Spurs 1998-1999 championship in the lockout season is often ignored (50 game season - full postseason of best of 7 playoff games)

NBA players prior to 1979 wouldn't make a high school team let alone an NBA team in today's NBA.

Michael Jordan was 1-9 in the playoffs before Scottie Pippen showed up in Chicago *Note: this is a myth because Scottie Pippen was traded to the Bulls in 1987 and he developed as a player on the Bulls, so how can someone say Jordan never succeeded without Pippen when they basically played together for most of Jordan's tenure in Chicago? It would be different if Pippen of 1991 came to Chicago in 1991, but he was there from 1987 to 1998.*

Michael Jordan only won his championships because the Pistons, Lakers & Celtics got older and became injured.

Chicago Bulls would have won the 1993-1994 championship or advanced to the NBA Finals if Pippen didn't get called for that foul on Hubert Davis.

Everyone will remember my biased opinion about a certain time in NBA history 10-20 years from now, e.g. People will remember LeBron James' performance in the 2011 NBA Finals even if he has a hypothetical 6 MVPs, 5 rings, 5 Finals MVPs, 1 DPOY Award, etc.
    How is it a myth that Bosh is a 20/10 player on another team??

He's averaged 20/10 3 times in his career and averaged 20 & 9.4 in his 7 season as a Raptor

Myth: Koresh isn't a huge piece of shit.

Negged.

Consensus Top 20-30 AT Roundball_Rock's Avatar

Michael Jordan was 1-9 in the playoffs before Scottie Pippen showed up in Chicago *Note: this is a myth
    That is not a myth. That is a fact, albeit a misleading one.

Indiana was going to beat them? That is possibly but unlikely. The Bulls beat them 4-1 in the regular season and were a 55 win team as compared to Indiana's 47 wins. The Bulls also had a superstar; Indiana did not. CHI would have been overwhelmingly favored against IND that year. Regarding the Finals, the Rockets would have been slight favorites but the Bulls would have had a legitimate chance. The Rockets were one three pointer away from losing to the Knicks, who the Bulls took the limit and would have likely beaten absent the Hollins call. The Rockets also had a tough 7 game series against Phoenix. They were not a dominant team as a lot of people incorrectly remember them as.

Sunshine State

Ray Allen DID save LeBron's career in the 2013 finals

Banned

No. The game wasn't over. If he hit the 3PT at the buzzer to win the game then yes, but that didn't happen. The game was tied and they went into overtime. People seem to forget that this series went to 7 games and LeBron had a memorable performance to seal the deal. Also, Allen's shot wasn't a miracle shot. Tony Parker's BS shot in Game 1 was a miracle.
    So what happens if Rays shot didn't fall?

Myths:

great post brother. nice to have a fellow scholar like yourself on board

Great college starter ThePhantomCreep's Avatar

I would definitely label James' performance in game 5 vs the C's a quitjob. His body language was that of someone who did not want to be there.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Myths:

These are all certifiable facts.

Serious playground baller LakersFan626's Avatar

Myths:

Kobe Bryant scored 55 points on Michael Jordan Fact. People aren't going to remember the scrubs he scored on, they'll remember MJ being against him.

Ray Allen saved LeBron James' career in Game 6 of the 2013 NBA Finals Fact. LeBron would have been 1/5 if that three never happened.

LeBron James quit in Game 5 against the Boston Celtics Fact. Did you even watch the game?

Kobe Bryant quit against the Phoenix Suns when the Los Angeles Lakers were up 3-1 Myth. If he quit, it was the second half of game 7.

Hakeem Olajuwon is a top 10 player and should be ahead of LeBron James in all-time rankings Fact. Hakeem wasn't a choker like LeBron.

Everyone hates LeBron James Myth. The stans still count.

Chicago Bulls did not beat any top teams in their 6 NBA Finals appearances Myth. 1993 Suns and 1996 Sonics were really tough and so were the Jazz teams.

What you say on ISH or online is what people really think about the NBA and superstars in the real world Myth.

The NBA in the 1990s was a weak era for basketball Myth. 90s Bulls, Knicks, and Heat were very tough teams and as mentioned, 93 Suns, 93-95 Rockets, 96 Sonics, 96-98 Jazz...

No defense was played in the NBA in the 1980s Fact. If you look at the scores, you'll see that.

The NBA prior to 1979 never existed Myth. That was the era of Bill Russell, Jerry West, George Mikan, and Wilt.

Miami Heat 2011-2012 championship should be an asterisk because of the lockout season (66 game season - full postseason of best of 7 series playoff games) but San Antonio Spurs 1998-1999 championship in the lockout season is often ignored (50 game season - full postseason of best of 7 playoff games) Myth. They're both legit.

Miami Heat free agency signings in 2010 was collusion Fact. It was PLANNED. That's not collusion?

Chris Bosh was a superstar before coming to Miami Not a superstar but a tier below so not quite a fact but close.

Chris Bosh is a 20/10 player on another NBA team Fact. He did it on the Raptors.

NBA players prior to 1979 wouldn't make a high school team let alone an NBA team in today's NBA. Huge myth.

Anything related to Wilt Chamberlain Fact. Wilt got swept by a losing team in the 1st round. If that isn't choking I don't know what is.

Michael Jordan is a bald headed Dominique Wilkins Myth.

Michael Jordan was 1-9 in the playoffs before Scottie Pippen showed up in Chicago *Note: this is a myth because Scottie Pippen was traded to the Bulls in 1987 and he developed as a player on the Bulls, so how can someone say Jordan never succeeded without Pippen when they basically played together for most of Jordan's tenure in Chicago? It would be different if Pippen of 1991 came to Chicago in 1991, but he was there from 1987 to 1998.* Still a fact but Jordan had NO help before that so it shouldn't be held against him.

Kobe Bryant was the best player in the NBA in the early 2000s Like Bosh, not quite a fact but he WAS top 5.

Michael Jordan only won his championships because the Pistons, Lakers & Celtics got older and became injured. Myth.

Chicago Bulls would have won the 1993-1994 championship or advanced to the NBA Finals if Pippen didn't get called for that foul on Hubert Davis. Myth. Rockets would have beaten them as they were the Bulls' worst matchup.

Everyone will remember my biased opinion about a certain time in NBA history 10-20 years from now, e.g. People will remember LeBron James' performance in the 2011 NBA Finals even if he has a hypothetical 6 MVPs, 5 rings, 5 Finals MVPs, 1 DPOY Award, etc. Fact. How LeBron performs when it matters most SHOULD matter most. People STILL haven't forgotten Kobe's series against Detroit or 6-24, so why should they forget LeBron's performances like that?
    Answers in the quote.