Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Serious playground baller

Default Re: Do you take people's basketball ability in account???

I could probably take on 20 year old Greg Poppovich from the 70s.

the WHITE side

Quote Originally Posted by Fowl
    I could probably take on 20 year old Greg Poppovich from the 70s.

Looks intimidating though.

NBA Superstar

I sometimes take people's basketball ability into account, but the situations in which I do almost always vary, meaning it's never a flat "He can't make a layup, so he must know nothing" or "He played DI so he must know more than everyone who didn't." It can sometimes be one element of indication.

There are certain times where I read or hear a person talk and it becomes immediately clear that the person attempting to make a point has a very limited or poor hands-on history with the game, whether it be regarding rules or on-court decisions made by players they're watching, things that probably would have never been said if they had played at even a locally high level.

On the other hand, I've known some incredibly effective and high level players that actually knew much less about the game than one would imagine. Sometimes players can just play, even while largely oblivious to the world around them (especially if they're 6'8'' with a 7'2'' wingspan).

So yeah, knowledge of the game is not always directly correlated to skill level one way or another. However, when there's a significant void of even minimal official experience with the game, that can oftentimes show itself more readily in discussions (which is obviously so).

Perhaps the less experienced just have more to make up for in terms of learning or knowing the game, with voids often manifesting themselves in the absence of well-guided immersive research.

9x All Defensive 1st And1AllDay's Avatar

For me, I look at it like this. If you're not good at playing basketball/athletic then it won't undermine your opinion. But if you are good at the sport and have played (NBA/college level) then it adds merit to your opinion.

OP is a fucking retard if he takes basketball ability into account. He's basically saying he'd take JR Smith's basketball opinion over Gregg Popovich. Dumbest shit ever.

College superstar

I take thought processes into account. If the poster sounds like they know what they're talking about, present things in a coherent manner, etc, then I take that into more consideration.

I think it would be more interesting to discuss posting STYLES and how we view those opinions. I never cared for Bizil's opinion just because the style in which he posts is so difficult to read... then I read some of his stuff and, while I don't agree with everything he says, he knows more than I gave him credit.

rank sentamentalist

god no

it's worth briefly noting where the opinion comes from

but with shaquille o'neal and gary payton getting airwaves on the regular to spew nonsense, two all time great players one of whom was heady and gritty on an mj level, it's easy to understand the difference

if i want to know how to BE a really good basketball player, i ask gary payton. if i want to understand what MAKES really good basketball, i ask some beatnik reporter or better yet a coach who probably wasn't that good even in his hayday

for the record, you can be smooth as fk cuz you grew up with the sport but at the same time know very little about it. cavs is the opposite where he picked it up late so he looks awkward as fk but would probably outplay 75% of the board here because he understands his role

edit: seems everything i just said was already said

I don't listen to people's films reviews either because they never made a film in their life.

NBA All-star

I'm not 'upset' when I give someone 50 bucks and all they do is return 20 when maybe the average is at 28 on their first try.

I do get upset when I give someone 50 bucks and they still give me that same 20 on my 3rd try.

if upset means having to sit down and talk to Dr. Phil

as for the regular managers out there, "hey Pal, I don't know what to tell ya, but something tells me you've lived with that 20 longer than others have"

but hey, you lived, right.

free lance work, what use is it to be an artist.

me, my opinion, and my shot gun kill list.

Local High School Star SpanishACB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DCL
    there are some guys who like to compare eras or players. but they're so blind to the game that they can't even observe the speed difference of game play. they can't even break down the defensive differences. they don't even know if a basketball move is bad play or not. all they know is, if the ball goes in, it's good, if it doesn't, it's bad. they have very simpleton ways of looking at the game. and their whole analysis is based on only stats, but they are completely blind and have no eyes for what's going on. and that lack of knowledge has so much to do with being a weak ass clueless player in real life.
    This.

They have forced their way into liking the game instead of liking it naturally by playing it at a young age. Stats are the worst drug for these kind of people.

KendrickPerkins bullying this thread tbh

and lol @ people saying "but but but he watch tape, he learning doe". Like dwight howard, watch hakeem all summer, learn jack shit, impregnate 16 yo to pass time.

Local High School Star SpanishACB's Avatar

its very apparent with cavsftw and lazarus, they rarely talk of teams but of players, many times it appears they completely ignore one of the simplest things of the sport, one thing that you learn very early if you compete, even at school level: it's a team game.

I jsut read the old man himself ask why didn't MJ win a ring in the 90s. As if a single man could, by ability and decision, win a basketball game.

severe lack of undertanding of the sport

The Magic are a trash HylianNightmare's Avatar

Plenty of great coaches never playe a high level of ball so no

Why does anyone even come on a board like this if not to hear the opinions of others? Does anyone have to do something to know about it? Does one "do" centuries of scientific work in order to know about science - or do they read about it, listen to documentaries, observe?

I'm a Spur fan - I know of the players, their strengths, weaknesses, personalities, families, defensive schemes, offensive schemes, history, etc. I've been watching the NBA since 1977, but have I EVER played basketball in my life? NO. Does that make me less knowledgeable than my 13 year old son who plays basketball in my driveway everyday?

NO! Just because Shaq and Barkley were all time greats doesn't negate the fact that they are barely literate, immature, loud mouthed idiots with stupid opinions most of the time.

Maybe they should start posting on ISH...