Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 07-07-2008, 10:42 PM   #136
Hotlantadude81
NBA rookie of the year

Default Re: Sixers chasing Josh Smith

If the Hawks match the offer of something like 13 million they will wish they hadn't kept him a future years when he is failing to live up to the contract and they'll be trying to get rid of him for cap space like Kings did with Bibby and you see other teams trying to get rid of overpaid players all the time. NBA Gm's and owners got to be some of the biggest idiots in the world.
Hotlantadude81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 10:46 PM   #137
Hotlantadude81
NBA rookie of the year

I say you trade him... Maybe they can atleast get back a few decent players or something. Why would you keep a player that wants to play elsewhere anyway?
Old 07-07-2008, 10:52 PM   #138
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotlantadude81
I say you trade him... Maybe they can atleast get back a few decent players or something. Why would you keep a player that wants to play elsewhere anyway?
If you do sign-and-trade its hard. The salaries only have to match within 50% instead of the usual 15%. So most likely you're not going to get back equal value.
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 12:28 AM   #139
doinitbig06
Good High School Starter

Quote:

where do u get these outlandish ideas anyway? u stay in georgia, u know Josh Smith? do u know that he wants to leave the hawks? of course not, cuz he doesn't, I dont know what the hell u see when u see the kid play but Smith is a great player, defensively there arent any SF that come close to what he does, he's not a great shooter but he's a good scorer, he can get to the basket at will, its only a problem when he doesn't do that. seriously i dont know how u can act like a hawks fan and be hating on josh smith, stats only tell half his story, and even his stats are nothing to sneeze at. name another 22 yr old SF/PF that avg 17.5 pts 8.5 rbs 3.0 asts 3.0 blks and 2.0 stls

when this season comes around and he's a better scorer to go with his great defense and he's a first time all-star, u gon be on his nutz like the fickle fan u are
doinitbig06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 12:33 AM   #140
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by doinitbig06
where do u get these outlandish ideas anyway? u stay in georgia, u know Josh Smith? do u know that he wants to leave the hawks? of course not, cuz he doesn't, I dont know what the hell u see when u see the kid play but Smith is a great player, defensively there arent any SF that come close to what he does, he's not a great shooter but he's a good scorer, he can get to the basket at will, its only a problem when he doesn't do that. seriously i dont know how u can act like a hawks fan and be hating on josh smith, stats only tell half his story, and even his stats are nothing to sneeze at. name another 22 yr old SF/PF that avg 17.5 pts 8.5 rbs 3.0 asts 3.0 blks and 2.0 stls

when this season comes around and he's a better scorer to go with his great defense and he's a first time all-star, u gon be on his nutz like the fickle fan u are
I didn't really see where he was hating on Josh Smith. He simply said if the Hawks paid him 13 mil, he would be overpaid. There's nothing wrong with that. And as for him leaving the hawks, I doubt he would have bothered to take visits to other teams if he didn't at least have an interest in it.
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 12:48 AM   #141
Hotlantadude81
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:

If he signs another contract with another team that puts a sign that maybe he wants to play elsewhere?

If these players were as great as you make them out to be, the Hawks wouldn't be a 37 win team. JJ has made 2 allstar teams and I still have the same opinion I had on him when he came here. All those numbers and he still came help the Hawks achieve a winning season.

I can assure you his interest to remain a Hawks goes way down the list of other things. I can just see it if the Hawks don't match:

"Yea, I wanted to stay in Atlanta, but they didn't give me 15 million per year, a boat, a house and the kitchen sink. But yeah, I really really wanted to stay."

Last edited by Hotlantadude81 : 07-08-2008 at 12:50 AM.
Old 07-08-2008, 01:02 AM   #142
doinitbig06
Good High School Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posterize246
I didn't really see where he was hating on Josh Smith. He simply said if the Hawks paid him 13 mil, he would be overpaid. There's nothing wrong with that. And as for him leaving the hawks, I doubt he would have bothered to take visits to other teams if he didn't at least have an interest in it.

alright, but whose to say if a players play is worth the amount of his contract? does a guy have to average 20+ ppg and be an all-star if he's getting 11 mill or more? to me a guy overpaid is a player who is good, but mostly after the money, a guy who plays great when his contract is up for extention, and when he gets it, never delivers that same passion anymore, like Vince Carter, and thats not Smith
also, of course he's gonna test the market out there, its mostly his agent who wants to get the biggest contract he can find for Smith so he can say, hey, look what i got this guy, he doesn't have real basketball interest at heart. Speaking with people who know Smith, he's having fun gauging the interest of himself with other teams, but he wants to come back home and build on the foundation thats been set in the playoffs hawks
Old 07-08-2008, 01:17 AM   #143
doinitbig06
Good High School Starter

Quote:
If he signs another contract with another team that puts a sign that maybe he wants to play elsewhere?

If these players were as great as you make them out to be, the Hawks wouldn't be a 37 win team. JJ has made 2 allstar teams and I still have the same opinion I had on him when he came here. All those numbers and he still came help the Hawks achieve a winning season.

I can assure you his interest to remain a Hawks goes way down the list of other things. I can just see it if the Hawks don't match:

"Yea, I wanted to stay in Atlanta, but they didn't give me 15 million per year, a boat, a house and the kitchen sink. But yeah, I really really wanted to stay."

IF Smith signs a contract elsewhere and THEN asks the Atlanta Spirit Group not to match, then thats an indication of him wanting to play elsewhere, but this isnt a joe johnson situation, he's not going to another team to be 'the man' and start over, he definetly wants to stay in atlanta

i didnt say how GREAT this team is, the team had been poorly constructed over the years and even more poorly coached before, but even thru the bad times, the lawsuits, the owner situation, the hawks happened to pick up some talent, right now we got a nice lil core, some stability has been established AT LEAST since we got joe johnson, cuz before him we had ANTOINE WALKER and AL HARRINGTON leading scorers on the team, toine avged 20-10 on the hawks in the 13-69 season, so numbers dont mean SH*T. it takes leadership, unity, talent, and swagger to win habitually, and the hawks are just now starting to get that.

i can assure u Smith's pretty committed to stay a HAWK, and the new Hawks GM (even tho i dont trust this white man) is committed to keeping him as well, i also know that Smith's main goal is to win a championship, not just anywhere, but in Atlanta, so really tho, its fun to speculate but its a 99.9% chance Smith stays

its CHildress im worried about, we need him too
Old 07-08-2008, 01:22 AM   #144
Hotlantadude81
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
IF Smith signs a contract elsewhere and THEN asks the Atlanta Spirit Group not to match, then thats an indication of him wanting to play elsewhere, but this isnt a joe johnson situation, he's not going to another team to be 'the man' and start over, he definetly wants to stay in atlanta

He is possibly going to sign a contract with another team. Players that do that don't want to stay where they're at that badly.

Quote:
i didnt say how GREAT this team is, the team had been poorly constructed over the years and even more poorly coached before, but even thru the bad times, the lawsuits, the owner situation, the hawks happened to pick up some talent, right now we got a nice lil core, some stability has been established AT LEAST since we got joe johnson, cuz before him we had ANTOINE WALKER and AL HARRINGTON leading scorers on the team, toine avged 20-10 on the hawks in the 13-69 season, so numbers dont mean SH*T. it takes leadership, unity, talent, and swagger to win habitually, and the hawks are just now starting to get that.

I need more than 3 games to see that. For every game they won against Boston they got blown out badly in the next game BASICALLY.

Quote:
i can assure u Smith's pretty committed to stay a HAWK, and the new Hawks GM (even tho i dont trust this white man) is committed to keeping him as well, i also know that Smith's main goal is to win a championship, not just anywhere, but in Atlanta, so really tho, its fun to speculate but its a 99.9% chance Smith stays

its CHildress im worried about, we need him too

I'm not just going to blame the players. The owners have to sign Kwame Brown from like 1 or 2 million dollars and bring in another bench scorer. I hate Kwame as much as the next guy, but he can defend the post and that's honestly all you can expect from a cheap backup big man these days.
Old 07-08-2008, 01:41 AM   #145
doinitbig06
Good High School Starter

LOL i dont think Kwame BROWN is ever gonna play for another NBA team again, lol seriously, i might make a thread about this, cuz ive heard from people in Memphis that Brown is sick of the NBA and all the attention, and he might play overseas, i say get him the hell out of here, he's cancer in its purest form, surely u werent insiuating bring him to the hawks, right? i would rather see the hawks bring back KEVIN WILLIS or DIKEMBE MUTUMBO than Brown in a Hawks uniform :
Old 07-08-2008, 01:47 AM   #146
JohnnyBravo5
Local High School Star

Uncle Ruckus, obviously you have absolutely no business sense. We offered Josh 45 million, he rejected it. The ASG said fine, if you think you are worth more than that prove it, go get an offer and we will match it. Wallace Prather his agent certainly wants more than 45 since 4% of 65 million is more than 4% of 45 million. Trust me, unless the Warriors offer 17 million, Josh Smith will be a hawk. Childress will be sign and traded for Thaddeus and filler.
JohnnyBravo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 01:57 AM   #147
doinitbig06
Good High School Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBravo5
Uncle Ruckus, obviously you have absolutely no business sense. We offered Josh 45 million, he rejected it. The ASG said fine, if you think you are worth more than that prove it, go get an offer and we will match it. Wallace Prather his agent certainly wants more than 45 since 4% of 65 million is more than 4% of 45 million. Trust me, unless the Warriors offer 17 million, Josh Smith will be a hawk. Childress will be sign and traded for Thaddeus and filler.

childress for thaddus young is a good trade to me, he will not replace the rebounding, hustle that childress brings, but young will be a good role player

but u mentioned the X factor, and my only true concern about this off-season

Josh Smith would be a BEAST in GS and i hope they dont realize that as much as we do, if JOSH is getting these stats in atlanta, with GS STYLE its possible Smith would average 20+ pts 10+ rbs 3+ asts 3+ blks and be a force that finally the nBA players and fans might respect, he would definetly be an all-star over there, if GS was smart, they would throw ALL their money at Smith and force ATL to agree to sign-and-trade, and we would demand Monta Ellis, and they would refuse, and we would end up with AL harrington again. then i would find GM rick sund, tie up his family and demand he commit japanese ritual suicude in front of them

but na, Smith is stayin, no worries :)
Old 07-08-2008, 04:19 AM   #148
sixerfan3511
Local High School Star

Quote:
childress for thaddus young is a good trade to me, he will not replace the rebounding, hustle that childress brings, but young will be a good role player

f that!

as for this topic, long story short, he is an Atlanta kid, but obviously if he's signing with us then he wants to be a Sixer. If you don't agree with that then you're an idiot. If we offer him 13 million a year, then i agree that Atlanta shouldn't match it. He has the potential for sure to earn that, but Atlanta doesn't have near the money to sign him to that plus do anything else. If i were them in that situation, let him go...resign Childress and move Horford to the 4. You need to move him there anyways...cuz he's not a 5. Get a center in a trade or draft...don't overpay for Smith. But eventually, i feel that he could deserve that money if we do give it to him
sixerfan3511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 07:10 AM   #149
Hotlantadude81
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBravo5

It's well known that you ride the short yellow bus to school every week day, but try paying attention... Even if Josh wants to stay with the Hawks, it's surely not at the top of the list. As I said, after getting his payday, a boat and the kitchen sink he might wanna stay after everything else. He'd probably rather take a couple of extra million and sign with Philly. If that is what he wants, get a trade done.

Philly might not give up Thaddeus for Childress alone. Philly is not the best of offensive teams and TY's scoring might come in handy. He is a better scorer than Childress surely. I'm sure his minutes will go up to around 30MPG next year.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:49 AM   #150
jlitt
Decent playground baller

Wow Thaddeous is getting no love on these boards. First off, when all is said and done he will be the 3rd best player out of his draft. He is only 19 and is already the sixers best half court scorer. He is going to be a star. If they redid the draft he would go 5th before yi and green. Mark my words young will be a star
jlitt is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: