Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Default Re: MJ picks Kobe over LeBron

Quote Originally Posted by jstern
    If you ask Kobe in an interview and not where he ranks, he'll say top 10 guard of all time, because he's always talking about not being disrespectful to other all time great guards. And remember, he wasn't talking about just shooting guards.
    Wouldnt it be a bit strange if Kobe referred to MJ as a top 10 player, because he doesn't want to disrespect the other greats?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave3
    If a guy is a top 5 or top 3 guard all time, calling them top 10 is an understatement.

If I said "LeBron is a top 10 player in the NBA today" is that a good thing or a bad thing? If someone is top 3, you don't say top 10.
    What do you want him to say? That he's top 3? So what? Only MJ and Magic are ahead of him? That's all? I know for a FACT that Jordan doesn't think Kobe is better than Oscar. I don't think Mike is gonna disrespect guys like Jerry West by just putting Kobe over him. You won't even hear MJ put himself over the guys that came before him, but he's gonna do it for Kobe?

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix
    You won't even hear MJ put himself over the guys that came before him, but he's gonna do it for Kobe?
    What? MJ just said last year that the top 2 players ever are him and Kobe. He puts himself top all time above everyone who came before him and after him. He's got no problem putting himself above anyone.

What? MJ just said last year that the top 2 players ever are him and Kobe. He puts himself top all time above everyone who came before him and after him. He's got no problem putting himself above anyone.

National High School Star

If a guy is a top 5 or top 3 guard all time, calling them top 10 is an understatement.

If I said "LeBron is a top 10 player in the NBA today" is that a good thing or a bad thing? If someone is top 3, you don't say top 10.
    Last I knew, 5 and/or 3 was within "top 10," thus making it a true statement.

Top 10 means just that. It encompasses 1-10. It says nothing about position. Any ranking within that range is top 10.

Quote Originally Posted by ThaRegul8r
    Last I knew, 5 and/or 3 was within "top 10," thus making it a true statement.

Top 10 means just that. It encompasses 1-10. It says nothing about position. Any ranking within that range is top 10.
    Again, it's like someone referring to MJ as top 10 all time. If you find nothing wrong with that then it's fine to say Kobe is top 10 guard of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by chazzy
    Wouldnt it be a bit strange if Kobe referred to MJ as a top 10 player, because he doesn't want to disrespect the other greats?
    Kobe and Jordan are two different people. Kobe calls Jordan the greatest to ever play the game, which is something that Jordan is considered by most.

Edit: In my original post I meant Jordan, but wrote Kobe by mistake. I fixed it. So sorry if you understood what I meant in a different light.

Edit: I re edited over ten minutes ago, but ish was not responding.
    Last edited by jstern; 02-15-2013 at 02:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jstern
    Kobe and Jordan are two different people. Kobe calls Jordan the greatest to ever play the game, which is something that Jordan is considered by most.

And in my original post I meant Jordan, but wrote Kobe by mistake.
    And most consider Kobe the 3rd best guard, arguably 2nd by casuals

Again, it's like someone referring to MJ as top 10 all time. If you find nothing wrong with that then it's fine to say Kobe is top 10 guard of all time.
    I think it's perfectly fine to say Kobe is a top 5 guard but I also think it's legit to ague that he's top 10 and that the top 5 is debatable. I would personally put him over a guy like Jerry West, but I can understand why someone would hesitate to do so.

I think it's perfectly fine to say Kobe is a top 5 guard but I also think it's legit to ague that he's top 10 and that the top 5 is debatable. I would personally put him over a guy like Jerry West, but I can understand why someone would hesitate to do so.
    Debatable is top 3. Magic and Jordan are above him, with West being debatable over him. That makes 3 debatable. Which other 2 guards are debatable?

Debatable is top 3. Magic and Jordan are above him, with West being debatable over him. That makes 3 debatable. Which other 2 guards are debatable?
    What about Magic Johnson?

Well, Oscar is pretty much not debatable. Wade to me is debatable as being a better SG than Kobe. I just don't think MJ wants to definitively say Kobe is top 5 because that would mean he is without question above guys like Dr. J and Havlicek.

Keep in mind that I personally weigh who I believe is the better player to be more important that career accomplishments and "legacy" arguments.

Like I said. I think Kobe is without question a superior player than Jerry West ever was, but I can understand why other people would rank West over Kobe.

Keep in mind that I personally weigh who I believe is the better player to be more important that career accomplishments and "legacy" arguments.

Like I said. I think Kobe is without question a superior player than Jerry West ever was, but I can understand why other people would rank West over Kobe.
    Did you guys see the actual video just now on Inside the NBA? It was much more in context. Video and audio > than written text.

Pathetic on how much importance these guys place on rings on judging who was a better player.