Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Nuggets/Avs/Broncos. NuggetsFan's Avatar

Default Re: FIBA final statistics

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    61% from three? That is complete insanity for a sample size this large. Granted, the line is a bit closer on the FIBA level, but Curry and Thompson were still hovering around their NBA averages. To shoot that kind of percentage from longrange? Let's just say that I think the best pure shooter in the NBA is completely debatable at this point, and Kyrie is in that conversation. Wait until he starts getting a lot of wide open spot-up looks on a regular basis.

Speaking of Thompson, he isn't getting enough love in the post-FIBA reaction threads. He was consistently solid on both ends throughout the tourney. Props to him.
    Why would you include something that happened internationally into an NBA conversation ? He was on the US national team and playing under a different set of rules/style than the NBA.

Kyrie shot 36% from 3 last year on 4.8 attempts in 71 games. 39% on similar attempts the year before, and 40% on one less attempt his rookie season. He's an 86% shooter from the FT line for his career and obviously a really good midrange shooter too.

Curry destroys those numbers. He blows Irving away %'s and volume from 3. Shoots better from the FT line and is at the very least comparable from midrange. Not sure how some international tournament changes any of that. I mean I get the bias, Faried lit it up. Gotta be a little objective.

First Kobe fan on ISH JohnFreeman's Avatar

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NuggetsFan
    Why would you include something that happened internationally into an NBA conversation ? He was on the US national team and playing under a different set of rules/style than the NBA.

Kyrie shot 36% from 3 last year on 4.8 attempts in 71 games. 39% on similar attempts the year before, and 40% on one less attempt his rookie season. He's an 86% shooter from the FT line for his career and obviously a really good midrange shooter too.

Curry destroys those numbers. He blows Irving away %'s and volume from 3. Shoots better from the FT line and is at the very least comparable from midrange. Not sure how some international tournament changes any of that. I mean I get the bias, Faried lit it up. Gotta be a little objective.
    Spacing is incredibly important for jumpshooters. Having a threat like Klay Thompson playing across from you opens up the floor.

This season will be the first time Irving will be playing with anything resembling even decent spacing (and it should actually be fantastic). If the gap continues to be there in the shooting % after this season, I'll easily concede the topic.

But, for the first time in his career, Irving should be getting a lot of open looks. We'll see how it goes. I hope Kyrie is never the volume three-point shooter that Curry is, tbh, because his game should be centered around his ability to break defenses down off the dribble. But, he has a smooth, consistent, fundamentally sound shooting stroke from deep. That much is undeniable. He was the most consistent three-point shooter on this team, has won a three-point shooting competition and has been pretty much lights out every time he's had the opportunity to play with other elite guys.

Again, we'll see what happens.

When did Kyrie become so hated? Swear he was one of the most loved rookies..

with God-given ass JimmyMcAdocious's Avatar

I'd like to know how many of Curry's shots are even open. He takes the worst 3pt shots ever and he just makes them. His shot selection is disgusting and his shot making ability is astounding.

Oh here. Someone can watch this if they have nothing to do.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I__QVTbDcP4
    Last edited by JimmyMcAdocious; 09-15-2014 at 02:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnFreeman
    When did Kyrie become so hated? Swear he was one of the most loved rookies..

What board are you reading?

Ever since the gold medal game its been kyrie praise and rose sucks...

Quote Originally Posted by poido123
    What board are you reading?

Ever since the gold medal game its been kyrie praise and rose sucks...
    Before FIBA Kyrie had been hounded pretty badly.

I agree with you there.

He cops the lion share of criticism for not carrying his team to playoffs last year, even though there was a lot of good reasons why that couldn't happen...

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

It actually continued through the FIBA process as well, until it became completely clear he was one of the best players on the team. People b!tched that it was the "Duke connection" when he was chosen over Lillard and Wall. Then, most said he should be relegated to Rose's backup.

Kyrie has been a target on here for the last year or so. I'm not saying that all of it was unwarranted. He mailed it in during some of the 2013 season and he deserved to be criticized for some of that. But, of course, people went too far with it.

Now, they'll probably go too far the other way again. Just the society that we live in today. Overreactions run rampant.

What a BOSS

Love me some Boogie

Local High School Star 2swift4u's Avatar

I thought Kyrie, Thompson & Faried played a great tournament.

I was a bit dissapointed by Curry's shooting and Harden's defense. And Rose...well.. no comment...

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    It actually continued through the FIBA process as well, until it became completely clear he was one of the best players on the team. People b!tched that it was the "Duke connection" when he was chosen over Lillard and Wall. Then, most said he should be relegated to Rose's backup.

Kyrie has been a target on here for the last year or so. I'm not saying that all of it was unwarranted. He mailed it in during some of the 2013 season and he deserved to be criticized for some of that. But, of course, people went too far with it.

Now, they'll probably go too far the other way again. Just the society that we live in today. Overreactions run rampant.
    The Duke connection was Plumlee, who is awful.

Irving got a lot of praise from what I saw. He's a legit PG. Not top 5, but top 10 sure.

Local High School Star fragokota's Avatar

Rose's stats during the tournament are hideous. The guy is probably done. 1/19 3pts and his fg% was something like 25%.

To be honest, Rose looked good on defense. His shot will come back, he missed a bazillion of lay-ups that he will make when he gets used to the rhythm of NBA fully.
    Expect 2-3 months of shitty play from him, then him blossoming again

Quote Originally Posted by fragokota
    Rose's stats during the tournament are hideous. The guy is probably done. 1/19 3pts and his fg% was something like 25%.
    He gave himself an A though.

A for ass.