Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
    High School Varsity 6th Man Connor B's Avatar

Default Spurs could easily repeat.

Cleveland (them team I believe to get to the finals) doesn't have the defense necessary to shut them down (Spurs spread the floor like crazy). Marion, as good as he was as a defender in years past, is getting pretty old so let's not at like that's a game changer -- helpful, but won't put them over the top. Love/Kyrie's defensive issues are well known on here, and after that you're left with Lebron who can be great when he isn't coasting but is still just one guy. For as good as Cleveland will be offensively, let's not forget what the Spurs did in the Finals -- they are just as potent.

I feel like everyone is writing them off again, I've heard a lot of "It will be OKC's year and Ibaka won't be injured". Earlier in the summer I was saying that OKC would have gotten to the finals had Ibaka been healthy for the first half of the series and based on OKC going 4-0 during the regular season. But I don't believe that anymore, I think the 2014 Spurs team was one of the all time great basketball teams and they will have literally the same team next year who will be very motivated to win again.

Default Re: Spurs could easily repeat.

Last edited by poido123; 09-14-2014 at 10:33 PM.

I think it's between us and OKC again (in the West).

Fortunately Pop has worked out a way to stop them: bring Ibaka out by playing Diaw/Bonner, have Green defend Durant (better man defender than Kawhi imo) and Kawhi guard Westbrook.

Quote Originally Posted by T_L_P
    I think it's between us and OKC again.

Fortunately Pop has worked out a way to stop them: bring Ibaka out by playing Diaw/Bonner, have Green defend Durant (better man defender than Kawhi imo) and Kawhi guard Westbrook.

A lot depends on if Ibaka is hitting that J in high volume.

He destroyed San Antonio first time round doing exactly that.

I have no idea what Morrow will be like for this team...And Lamb will be playing heavy minutes, so his improvement is an unknown and second year Adams too.
    Last edited by poido123; 09-14-2014 at 10:35 PM.

Very good NBA starter Orlando Magic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by T_L_P
    I think it's between us and OKC again.

He didn't come up with a way to stop them.

Ibaka plays those first two games and OKC wins that series brah.

OKC is a year older... and so is SAS both of which benefits... OKC.

Title games = OKC vs CHI or CLE

Winner = OKC or CHI

This is barring injuries which are for the most part unpredictable.

No one easily repeats.

Quote Originally Posted by G-train
    No one easily repeats.

The West is again strong this year.

I think Golden State, Dallas and New Orleans could be more prominent this year too...

Quote Originally Posted by Orlando Magic

Winner = OKC or CHI

Series was 2-2 with Ibaka in the lineup, even though our All-Star/All-NBAer missed half of a game.

We beat OKC by 28 at home with Ibaka in the lineup.

The odds don't stack up.

Might not be that easy. Last season Spurs were fortunate to win because of Lebron's cowardly antics in the finals.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Orlando Magic

Winner = OKC or CHI

I'm sorry but in no way does ibaka change the results in game 1 and 2... OKC got completely blown away... If I remember correctly the spurs won game 1 and 2 by an average of like 30 points ... Ibaka Makes OKC better sure.. But 30 points better?? GTFO you are dreaming

Game 6 if ibaka was healthy could have had a different result but if you are going to play the " ibaka was injured" card.. Then you have to consider that tony Parker hardly played In that game too.. And he didn't play in the crucial second half.. Parker was hurt that whole series.. So in terms of injury for game 6 it's pretty even...

In terms of winning again.. There are no guarantees but they absolutely have a shot.. Pretty much spurs/OKC/cavs at teir one
    Chicago/clippers on teir 2

The rest I think don't have a realistic shot ...

I wouldn't say the spurs could "easily repeat" but they have a very good chance and probably their best ever chance

They have a bunch of players that are young and still improving.. Their chemistry is off the charts at both ends of the court.. Magnificent balance between young and experienced players ... With a refined playbook now.. Which might even get better this year..

The spurs were so good last year people are just assuming that this team has peaked already but they have been improving for 3 years now.. I wouldn't say they have peaked until I see a decline and that hasn't happened yet.. Thy may get better next season.. That's a possible and no one seems to acknowledge that

Quote Originally Posted by Real14
    Might not be that easy. Last season Spurs were fortunate to win because of Lebron's cowardly antics in the finals.
    We haven't seen any Knick antics in the Finals in 15 years

Not airballing my layups anymore

I think Golden State could make the run for it this year... Arguably they have the best Stating 5.... OKC will be strong and I never count the Spurs out... Those three are my top picks from the West.

Quote Originally Posted by Real14
    Or maybe the Spurs were the better team?

I honestly think it's OKC's year. We can clown Durant for his playoffs and whatever, but he's arrived as an all-time great player, and he's still getting better..Westbrook is the most dominant point guard in the game and he's getting better as well..all Ibaka has to do is keep improving that midrange J, keep blocking shots, and obviously stay healthy. All three of these guys are around 25..which again, means they're likely to be even better this upcoming year. Plus they'll have the full season this time around to get into a groove, they don't have to deal with Westbrook starting the season, getting hurt and missing significant time, and then trying to fit his game back with the team..

Imo all they have to do to be championship favorites is the following:

1) Start Adams, and cut Perkins' minutes significantly. Adams in his rookie year was 10x the athlete, rebounder, offensive hustle player and defender Perk was. Another year of experience, and he's far and away the best option. Ibaka and Adams could be one of the best rebounding and defensive FC duos in the game.

2) Give Lamb, PJ3, and Roberson burn early in the season so they're confident and experienced by the end of the season.

3) Start Westbrook and let Jackson run the 2nd unit...but occasionally experiment with a staggered lineup with Reggie at the 1 with Westbrook at the 2..this should be their go-to lineup in the playoffs when they need a lot of firepower, when their offense is getting stagnant.

Their lineup should be..

Westbrook/Jackson/Telfair
    Morrow/Lamb/Westbrook
    Durant/Roberson/Lamb
    Ibaka/PJ3/McGary
    Adams/Collison/Perkins

That lineup, if healthy, should be the favorite to win it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Milbuck
    I honestly think it's OKC's year. We can clown Durant for his playoffs and whatever, but he's arrived as an all-time great player, and he's still getting better..Westbrook is the most dominant point guard in the game and he's getting better as well..all Ibaka has to do is keep improving that midrange J, keep blocking shots, and obviously stay healthy. All three of these guys are around 25..which again, means they're likely to be even better this upcoming year. Plus they'll have the full season this time around to get into a groove, they don't have to deal with Westbrook starting the season, getting hurt and missing significant time, and then trying to fit his game back with the team..

Imo all they have to do to be championship favorites is the following:

1) Start Adams, and cut Perkins' minutes significantly. Adams in his rookie year was 10x the athlete, rebounder, offensive hustle player and defender Perk was. Another year of experience, and he's far and away the best option. Ibaka and Adams could be one of the best rebounding and defensive FC duos in the game.

2) Give Lamb, PJ3, and Roberson burn early in the season so they're confident and experienced by the end of the season.

3) Start Westbrook and let Jackson run the 2nd unit...but occasionally experiment with a staggered lineup with Reggie at the 1 with Westbrook at the 2..this should be their go-to lineup in the playoffs when they need a lot of firepower, when their offense is getting stagnant.

Their lineup should be..

Westbrook/Jackson/Telfair
    Morrow/Lamb/Westbrook
    Durant/Roberson/Lamb
    Ibaka/PJ3/McGary
    Adams/Collison/Perkins

That lineup, if healthy, should be the favorite to win it all.