Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Is Dwight even considered one of the "strongest" players of all time?

He certainly works out a lot and has some of the broadest shoulders. But I don't really hear any testimonial about any league-leading strength from him from his peers which was seems like it should be very common considering all the stories or descriptions of players like Wilt/Artis/Shaq who were regarded as the undisputed strongest players in the league when they played. Dwight looks big and sculpted but at only 6-9 and 265/270lbs is he simply too "small" in scale to reach the kind of unnatural strength that those rare big/athletic 7 footers had? Are the larger statured big men in the league today like Bynum/McGee/Chandler considered just as strong as Dwight even though they lack his sculpted appearance due to their larger stature?

Good High School Starter Mach_3's Avatar

Default Re: Is Dwight even considered one of the "strongest" players of all time?

having big shoulders =/= strength

I'd love to see a video of him squatting because he looks like he has some weak ass leg muscles

Default Re: Is Dwight even considered one of the "strongest" players of all time?

Quote Originally Posted by Mach_3
    I'd love to see a video of him squatting because he looks like he has some weak ass leg muscles
    said his vertical never.

He'd get punked by the Otis Thorpes, Michael Cages, Xavier McDaniel's of years past.

McGee doesn't look strong at all. He looks like he's going to fall over on the slightest bit of contact. He seems very agile and quick.

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    but at only 6-9
    stopped reading right here

5-time NBA All-Star

He certainly works out a lot and has some of the broadest shoulders. But I don't really hear any testimonial about any league-leading strength from him from his peers which was seems like it should be very common considering all the stories or descriptions of players like Wilt/Artis/Shaq who were regarded as the undisputed strongest players in the league when they played. Dwight looks big and sculpted but at only 6-9 and 265/270lbs is he simply too "small" in scale to reach the kind of unnatural strength that those rare big/athletic 7 footers had? Are the larger statured big men in the league today like Bynum/McGee/Chandler considered just as strong as Dwight even though they lack his sculpted appearance due to their larger stature?
    I heard his waist was only like 28 or 32 inches. That's bizarre. But he can't have great core strength with that small of waist - sobeit, he does very well right now. His quick torques and speed are perhaps things that will cause back problems every once in awhile due to lesser mid body support.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Fudge's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kNicKz
    He is 6'9" though. 6'10" at most.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Dwight-Howard-2888/

Is'nt Dwight 6 foot 11?, or have i been living in a cave?

Is that a serious question? Does anyone even think he is one of the strongest in the last 5 years? Dwight was a great athlete, but strongest?

Is nene one of the strongest players of all time?

Learning to shoot layups

I don't know if I read an article or saw a feature on ESPN, but a few years back they were interviewing a player (may have even been Kobe) and he talked about how powerful Dwight is in the paint. I remember whoever it was saying it was a whole different ball game with Dwight playing down low because of his strength, especially on box outs and rebounds.

Wish I could find it, but I don't even know where to begin looking. Regardless, he doesn't look it this year...

Local High School Star Pinkhearts's Avatar

Looks like people still buy into a player's billed height. Dwight measured 6'9, but he's probably grown an inch since being drafted. It's funny though people still say Durant is 6'11 when he is listed at 6'9

Curry: 0x Finals MVP SilkkTheShocker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kNicKz
    He isn't that tall. Bynum looked like he towered over him

I brick nerf balls La Frescobaldi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by I Love the Game
    I don't know if I read an article or saw a feature on ESPN, but a few years back they were interviewing a player (may have even been Kobe) and he talked about how powerful Dwight is in the paint. I remember whoever it was saying it was a whole different ball game with Dwight playing down low because of his strength, especially on box outs and rebounds.

Wish I could find it, but I don't even know where to begin looking. Regardless, he doesn't look it this year...
    Thighs and stomach are the most important muscles in the paint.
    See Wilt, Wes Unseld, Ben Wallace, Nikola Pekovic as examples.
    However it's not the ONLY thing look at Russell, Jabbar, Motumbo

I would hold Kobe's word as extremely valuable, he is astute

Good High School Starter AussieG's Avatar

Stromile Swift was 6' 9.. he was visibly shorter than other bigs but made up for it with ridiculous hops.

Dwight has never struck me the same way.. I don't know his exact height but he's always seemed to me someone tall AND with ridiculous hops.