Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question How much can you remember of your childhood?

I can barely put together a timeline until age 9. Ironically that was the age when my parents divorced. Been trying to put together the pieces pre age 9. It's absolutely fascinating trying to rediscover these things. Repression of memory is a powerful defense.

Default Re: How much can you remember of your childhood?

Up until 3. Probably because of divorce as most people I know are about 6-7.

2-3

Most of it really, from about the age of 3-4, but there are some vague memories prior to that. Had a really weird dream about my first primary school teacher the other day (she was crazy fit). Remember having chickenpox, remember vividly the beginning of school, even nursery; remember parents fighting (plus the standard hatred of an angry, aggressive father, and resulting devotion to mother--remember shouting "leave us alone" at him --shit, that must've stung), and they were separated when I was 3.

Couldn't give you a detailed chronology though as one can't control when memories return/the various things that evoke them.

Free the banned users. stalkerforlife's Avatar

I remember at around 4 or 5 my Dad throwing dishes at the walls and shattering them in an argument with my mom; he grabbed the dish I was eating off and threw it, but immediately said sorry to me and said he'd get me some more food.

I remember at around 4 or so my Dad coming home gushing blood out of his head. His entire face was covered in blood. Apparently, he got into a fight with my Mom's ex and was beating him down, so the ex's friend broke a beer bottle over his head.

I remember being told my Dad died in a car accident at around 7. I was playing Mario Brothers on Nintendo. I stopped playing and started crying, then for some reason I started playing again. About 20 people had gathered just to tell me; I was fooled into thinking it was just a fun get together.

I remember that same year moving back in with my Mom and then being molested by a neighbor and his sister. I was left home alone after school at 7 years old and i'd have to walk home from the bus. The 13 year old boy and 11 year old girl did a lot of sexual things to me and even to each other; it was insane now that I look back at it.

Etc.

Quote Originally Posted by stalkerforlife
    I remember at around 4 or 5 my Dad throwing dishes at the walls and shattering them in an argument with my mom; he grabbed the dish I was eating off and threw it, but immediately said sorry to me and said he'd get me some more food.

I remember at around 4 or so my Dad coming home gushing blood out of his head. His entire face was covered in blood. Apparently, he got into a fight with my Mom's ex and was beating him down, so the ex's friend broke a beer bottle over his head.

I remember being told my Dad died in a car accident at around 7. I was playing Mario Brothers on Nintendo. I stopped playing and started crying, then for some reason I started playing again. About 20 people had gathered just to tell me; I was fooled into thinking it was just a fun get together.

I remember that same year moving back in with my Mom and then being molested by a neighbor and his sister. I was left home alone after school at 7 years old and i'd have to walk home from the bus. The 13 year old boy and 11 year old girl did a lot of sexual things to me and even to each other; it was insane now that I look back at it.

Etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Im Still Ballin
    I can barely put together a timeline until age 9. Ironically that was the age when my parents divorced. Been trying to put together the pieces pre age 9. It's absolutely fascinating trying to rediscover these things. Repression of memory is a powerful defense.

Same here. I was born into a bad marriage and can barely remember shit until 8 or so. I have a couple glimpses of school, birthday parties and other occasions, and also glimpses of trying to hide from the world and get away from the screaming and anger. Kind of morbidly funny how my brain seems to latch onto all the bad/embarrassing/scared/negative memories much more easily.

I'm not really sure I'm trying to rediscover it anyway when good memories are few and far between.
    Last edited by oarabbus; 05-28-2016 at 03:13 PM.

NBA rookie of the year senelcoolidge's Avatar

Maybe 3-4. I remember our old house vividly ( I remember outside more than inside..the cement wall around the house and the street). Our dog named Rex, he was a doberman mixed with German Shepard, he was very aggressive, a good guard dog. I don't remember my mother before she was diagnosed with schizophrenia, it happened after having my younger brother and we are only 2 years apart. I remember some of my old schools in my parents country. Old tanks left from the war that kids used to play in. There was a cemetery across a flimsy bridge. The bridge went over a deep ditch where flood waters would run through I guess during the rainy season. I was scared of that place I remember seeing animals that fell to their death in that ditch..it was really high. From 6 and on I remember pretty good.

Etc.
    You my dawg, but this made me LOL hard. So blunt.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

ironically I remember stuff from the time as a baby.

Weird.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

Etc.
    sexy ed at it's best = congrad's

I remember stuff from when I was 1. I can put a timeline together of key points for each year of my life beginning at around 4-5.

Etc.
    All that and you're still winning the darwin award with children of your own and you seem like you might even be a cool dad at that

One of the Goodfellas NBAplayoffs2001's Avatar

Tbh, anything before around 2005 I would say is very vague. I only remember 9/11 very well out of all my young days. From 2007 and onwards (besides probably a few months in 2010, so much stuff happened in my life at the time), I remember a large chunk of it.
    Last edited by NBAplayoffs2001; 05-29-2016 at 02:21 AM.

I remember bits and pieces from 2-4. those memories are kind of like mental photographs, just little instants that were burned in my memory. Like for example I recall one time when I was 2 or 3 we had fresh wet paint on the front door, I pushed on the door with my hand and I distinctly remember looking down at my hand and seeing it covered in dark green paint even to this day.

Around 5 all my memories become a lot clearer.