Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Who was better in 2011: Dwight Howard or Derrick Rose?

DRose was a force of nature never before seen in basketball that season. He was out of this world.

NBA All-star

this is probably an attempt at trying to determine how much does winning 73 games in the regular season weigh

not all players are paid to win championships. it's probably more so an agreement between the players and the owner

as to players who don't even care about winning regular season games let alone the championship?

it probably does stunt the growth of younger players

Howard was better overall. Not the takeover scoring of Rose but much better two-way anchor overall. Probably the most prolific rebounding/defensive paint presence since prime Ben Wallace, but with 4 times the scoring volume. It's a shame that his career slowly derailed after that year, at 30 he should be enjoying prime years right now.

Ok, since Smoke wants replies let me try this

I believe both players were both extremely valuable in completely different ways.
    Rose was the only consistent offense on a Chicago Bulls team that had great defense, rebounding, and high basketball IQ. However, they lacked consistent offense and a closer. Rose at 25 PPG and 8 APG was that person. Back then Rose had a consistent mid-range jump shot, and was unstoppable attacking the rim. I think his shot selection was a little bit over rated, and he took too many 3's for his ability.

However, I believe that Rose's team success was due to defensive dominance of Chicago and Thibs ability to coach and run the team into the ground.

Dwight was a defensive monster who happened to have the most productive season of his career offensively. Dwight was criticized his entire career about not being a consistent offensive player, and this was the season that it was the hardest to criticize him for that. This was also the last year we saw REAL Dwight Howard before his back injuries. He was a fearsome rim protector, and the best re bounder and shot blocker in the game.

It's a toss up for me, but I guess I will go with Rose. Generally the DPOY, rebounding big man wins but this time I will take the PG.
    Dwight in the playoffs shown inability to take over an offense, and managed to choke versus the Hawks. It was clear that unless his teammates are hot from 3 point range Dwight is ineffective running a team.

Rose got his shit completely kicked in by Miami, but going against prime LeBron and Wade is no joke. He still led his team to the ECF followed up by some great games versus Indiana. His team won 62 games and he was the MVP, so I give him the edge.

Dirk, Wade, LeBron were still clearly better than those two. Durant and Kobe could be argued, but less of a case.

Quote Originally Posted by Papaya Petee
    Dwight was a defensive monster who happened to have the most productive season of his career offensively. Dwight was criticized his entire career about not being a consistent offensive player, and this was the season that it was the hardest to criticize him for that. This was also the last year we saw REAL Dwight Howard before his back injuries. He was a fearsome rim protector, and the best re bounder and shot blocker in the game.
    I think this was coming right off the summer training with Hakeem, so no doubt that was why you saw marked improvement offensively.

Quote Originally Posted by Papaya Petee
    It's a toss up for me, but I guess I will go with Rose. Generally the DPOY, rebounding big man wins but this time I will take the PG.
    Dwight in the playoffs shown inability to take over an offense, and managed to choke versus the Hawks. It was clear that unless his teammates are hot from 3 point range Dwight is ineffective running a team.

Rose played incredible against the Hawks, but so did Dwight so I don't think it's necessarily fair to say Dwight choked. The difference was that Rose got solid contributions from Deng and Boozer while Dwight literally got zero production from his supporting cast. I mean, look at the numbers, it's a joke:

Dwight: 27/16/1/1/2 on 63%
    Nelson: 13/4/5 on 38%
    Hedo: 9/3/4 on 29% ()
    JRich: 10/4/2 on 33%

He didn't need them to be hot from 3, he just needed them not to be ice f*cking cold from the entire floor all series long.

5-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Doranku
    Rose played incredible against the Hawks, but so did Dwight so I don't think it's necessarily fair to say Dwight choked. The difference was that Rose got solid contributions from Deng and Boozer while Dwight literally got zero production from his supporting cast. I mean, look at the numbers, it's a joke:

Dwight: 27/16/1/1/2 on 63%
    Nelson: 13/4/5 on 38%
    Hedo: 9/3/4 on 29% ()
    JRich: 10/4/2 on 33%

He didn't need them to be hot from 3, he just needed them not to be ice f*cking cold from the entire floor all series long.
    DH was the primier big man in the league that year. But he did have a disconnect with his team. Against Atlanta he did have a monster practically 50/20 game in which the Magic lost convincingly. But when DH had that 8/8 game it was the only game in which Atlanta won convincingly. And when his coach presented him times to show leadership, DH didn't step up. This guy had only maybe two or three centers in the league that he really had to guard. When rookie DMC lights up the team for 28 points, DH doesn't step up and say let me guard him. ???? .

He's the reigning defensive player of the year and doesn't say let me guard the rookie at my position. Lebron got mad at the Magic president and told everybody he's coming to town to embarrass him. DH didn't even make a stand. The President of the Magic has to revamp the team as the wussie bunch doesn't have enough heart to make a stand. Then second week in March a critical game against the Bulls and Rose scores more points in the paint than DH. And then gets suspended for the next game. Obviously Rose and Lebron's teammates will repond better to them than Howard's teammates will respond to him.

Rose was the best player in 4th quarters that year. He was the best player against elite teams. He had more team adversity than any of the other players. He had a younger team than the other stars. He flipped more 4th quarter wins than anybody else. His team had more wins than anybody else. If the Bulls were close the team could bet that Rose could out execute the other team and he delivered moreso than any other player. Remind you this was a young team with big injuries and sparse talent and not a consistent shooter.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pointguard
    DH was the primier big man in the league that year. But he did have a disconnect with his team. Against Atlanta he did have a monster practically 50/20 game in which the Magic lost convincingly. But when DH had that 8/8 game it was the only game in which Atlanta won convincingly. And when his coach presented him times to show leadership, DH didn't step up. This guy had only maybe two or three centers in the league that he really had to guard. When rookie DMC lights up the team for 28 points, DH doesn't step up and say let me guard him. ???? .

He's the reigning defensive player of the year and doesn't say let me guard the rookie at my position. Lebron got mad at the Magic president and told everybody he's coming to town to embarrass him. DH didn't even make a stand. The President of the Magic has to revamp the team as the wussie bunch doesn't have enough heart to make a stand. Then second week in March a critical game against the Bulls and Rose scores more points in the paint than DH. And then gets suspended for the next game. Obviously Rose and Lebron's teammates will repond better to them than Howard's teammates will respond to him.

Rose was the best player in 4th quarters that year. He was the best player against elite teams. He had more team adversity than any of the other players. He had a younger team than the other stars. He flipped more 4th quarter wins than anybody else. His team had more wins than anybody else. If the Bulls were close the team could bet that Rose could out execute the other team and he delivered moreso than any other player. Remind you this was a young team with big injuries and sparse talent and not a consistent shooter.
    Rose had a much better team. Let us not forget Rose shot sub 50% TS in the playoffs. That is pretty amazing it can be so low considering the amount of free throws he took.

Quote Originally Posted by Pointguard
    Who are your five better players?
    LeBron

Dwight

Dirk

Wade

Durant

Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiSWISH
    Seriously. Beyond better coaching, but with a similarly talented type of roster Rose led ... scratch that ... WILLED his team to 10 more victories than Fright Coward.

As players that season

1) LeBron
    2) Wade
    3) Rose
    4) Dwight
    5) Dirk

HM: Kobe
    This shit definitely caused the hour long Database breakdown

for the 2010-11 season. record for games that came down to clutch scenarios.

Derrick Rose
    30-10 75%

Dwight Howard
    23-15 60.5%

Dwight shouldve won MVP that year

Saw a basketball once

I would give it to Derrick Rose. If he wanted to win the game, all he had to do was turn on the jets...unless he was playing Lebron. I think people forget just how special that season was for Chicago. Rose was nearly unstoppable.

Quote Originally Posted by Thingy
    I would give it to Derrick Rose. If he wanted to win the game, all he had to do was turn on the jets...unless he was playing Lebron. I think people forget just how special that season was for Chicago. Rose was nearly unstoppable.
    only in the playoffs. the bulls that season swepped the heat in the regular season.

Quote Originally Posted by ArbitraryWater
    This shit definitely caused the hour long Database breakdown
    What did you manage to do with yourself in that hour since your 27 posts per day on ISH (about a topic you don't even know well) seems to be your entire existence?