Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Curry: 0x Finals MVP SilkkTheShocker's Avatar

Default Re: Anyone on here honestly think Jordan impacts a game more than Wilt or Shaq?

Wilt

Default Re: Anyone on here honestly think Jordan impacts a game more than Wilt or Shaq?

Quote Originally Posted by jstern
    I think a Jordan and Lebron are just as impactful, because they do so much. To judge impact you have to consider how they played against the person guarding him. You might say, "Well Shaq averaged 12 rpg," but he's a center, he's expected to average around that amount, so you have to compare by how much he would out rebound a Luc Longley.

I mean in general a great center is going to impact the game more, but these are special circumstances. Very efficient perimeter players who can shut down the person they're guarding.
    So you're grading on a curve? Why punish a big because of the rebounding edge positionally?

Jordan had more impact. You don't have to hide him late in games. He isn't a liability at the free-throw line. He's more mentally prepared to win than both of those big games, and proved it. You also don't need someone else to get the ball in his hands. MJ was clutch too, also to be taken into account for impact.

MJ can get to any spot on the floor he wants to create his shot. Shaq can't do that. Let's not mention being a superior passer, etc.

In that regard both MJ and LeBron are just as much impact as both of those guys because they also put forth consistent effort on defense. Yes, big men naturally have more impact. So far there has been a few exceptions to the rule: MJ, LeBron, Bird, if you want to throw Kobe in there or Wade for a couple year stretches.

Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiSWISH
    In that regard both MJ and LeBron are just as much impact as both of those guys because they also put forth consistent effort on defense. Yes, big men naturally have more impact. So far there has been a few exceptions to the rule: MJ, LeBron, Bird, if you want to throw Kobe in there or Wade for a couple year stretches.
    I'd say Magic too. In the future, Kevin Durant might be part of this group, as well, if he hasn't already. Older greats like Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, Elgin Baylor, Julius Erving, etc... have just as much impact.

Rick Barry probably led the weakest roster to an NBA title in 1975 with a rookie wing player as his second option.

And the way the current NBA has shifted, many more wing players can have much more impact than big men.

Quote Originally Posted by SilkkTheShocker
    Wilt

Yes absolutely. I HATE the whole "bigs impact the game more than guards" argument because it's not supported by any evidence.

Why does no big have better playoff numbers, performances and consistency that Jordan does?

Why does no big rank over him in objective metrics?

Why didn't any big lift his team to higher heights than Jordan did since their so much more impactful?

If you say guards can't impact the game defensively like bigs I agree with that, but I counter that with saying bigs can't impact the game offensively like Jordan or Magic.

I wonder if you guys would take Patrick Ewing over Jordan just because he was 7 feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Young X
    Why didn't any big lift his team to higher heights than Jordan did since their so much more impactful?
    Bill Russell?

15x all nba legend TheMarkMadsen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Flash31
    MJ impacted the game MORE than Shaq

i agree

Quote Originally Posted by BoutPractice
    Bill Russell?
    Was going to say the same. Ditto for the playoff performances/consistency part. Russell's role changed when he got older, sort of like Tim Duncan is currently since his 09 season.

Quote Originally Posted by BoutPractice
    Bill Russell?
    I was mainly talking about single season.

Why are the 2 most successful teams in NBA history Jordan led teams?

Can someone convince me that Jordan wasn't the most impactful player besides the "he was only 6'6" () argument?

Why are the 2 most successful teams in NBA history Jordan led teams?
    You're going to hear the "watered down" era argument.

15x all nba legend TheMarkMadsen's Avatar

from 86-97 there was only 2 Championship teams that featured a big man who made the ALL NBA team..

The only 2 came when Jordan retired.. (Hakeem 94-95)

Going by this logic:

Would anyone here seriously take a healthy Dwight over Lebron just cuz he's taller?

Yes absolutely. I HATE the whole "bigs impact the game more than guards" argument because it's not supported by any evidence.

Why does no big have better playoff numbers, performances and consistency that Jordan does?

Why does no big rank over him in objective metrics?

If you say guards can't impact the game defensively like bigs I agree with that, but I counter that with saying bigs can't impact the game offensively like Jordan or Magic.

I wonder if you guys would take Patrick Ewing over Jordan just because he was 7 feet.
    Or we can just say that Jordan was that good. Which is why he tends to get ranked over the GOAT bigs. Maybe Jordan (and Magic to an extent) are the exceptions.

But I can see it being argued both ways. You need guards to handle the ball, run the offense, keep the defense honest, and get it to the big guys.

Going by this logic:

Would anyone here seriously take a healthy Dwight over Lebron just cuz he's taller?
    They're not on the same level. Lebron's already getting mention for top 10.

A better question is would you take a peak Hakeem over Lebron right now?