Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
    Good college starter

Default Don't make a fool of yourself young man you never saw him play

Basketball is a game for all ages.I love the history of the game and respect it.I feel the Golden Era of the game was from 80-95.Many younger poster get on the board and have know idea how Great players like Elgin Baylor,Bob Petie,Elvin Hayes,Nate Archabld ect.... Were. When I hear people having Oscar outside a top 10. I just can't call you a basketball fan.Kobe,LBJ are special players , But so was Elgin,Walt Frazier,Moses Malone,George Gervin. Just ask . Just say hey how good was so and so . Don't assume PP was better than any of the greats because I have seen them both and he isnt . You have only seen PP and read stats of the Older Greats.

Default Re: Don't make a fool of yourself young man you never saw him play

Quote Originally Posted by Niquesports
    Basketball is a game for all ages.I love the history of the game and respect it.I feel the Golden Era of the game was from 80-95.Many younger poster get on the board and have know idea how Great players like Elgin Baylor,Bob Petie,Elvin Hayes,Nate Archabld ect.... Were. When I hear people having Oscar outside a top 10. I just can't call you a basketball fan.Kobe,LBJ are special players , But so was Elgin,Walt Frazier,Moses Malone,George Gervin. Just ask . Just say hey how good was so and so . Don't assume PP was better than any of the greats because I have seen them both and he isnt . You have only seen PP and read stats of the Older Greats.
    Have you posted in the ISH top10 and ISH top11-20 threads?

I, along with many other knowledgeable NBA posters, have Oscar just outside the top10 (i have him right at #11) since there is only so much room.

Jordan, Russell, Kareem, Magic, Bird, Hakeem, Kobe, Duncan, Shaq, Wilt.

Those 10 are clearly the first-tier top10 players, how can you justify bumping one of those players off for Oscar? Just because he averaged a triple-double? (in reality a 20/8/8 type of season adjusted for pace)

Plus are you drunk or something? That or you forgot how to speak english.

Certified ISHiot.

Awesome thread. You're cool.

Banned

How many titles and MVPs did Oscar win?

I view it the same way i view criticism in any field. You have to have a background in the field to have a valid opinion. The less you know, the weaker your opinion is.

If you say Pulp Fiction is the greatest movie made, no one is going to take you seriously, especially if you haven't watched anything made prior to 1990.

Nuggets/Avs/Broncos. NuggetsFan's Avatar

What I don't get is why older basketball fans believe they are so much smarter than younger one's. Unless your really old, you never saw Wilt and co play. Back than it wasn't even televised anyways. Correct me if I'm wrong only the 4th quarter of Wilt's 100 game was on the radio? right?. In today's day and age it's crazy. I'm 21 and even going back like 7 years ago the difference is insane, basketball fans that are 13-14 are insanely spoiled. If a 15 year kid wanted too, he could find TONS of footage on Magic and Bird. Look at archives of old newspapers, probably find old radio airings. You can find out how successful a player today is at running the P&R down to an exact %. You literally can watch 82 games of your favorite team, among sooo many others. How many live games would the average basketball fan watch in 1976?

Age doesn't really matter for the most part. It depends on how much a person is willing to research. A 16 year old kid can know just as much about Oscar Robertson as a 30 year old man would. Unless your way up there in age and you got to see these guy's play live, being a young fan doesn't really hold any disadvantage

Good college starter

Quote Originally Posted by BlueandGold
    Have you posted in the ISH top10 and ISH top11-20 threads?

I, along with many other knowledgeable NBA posters, have Oscar just outside the top10 (i have him right at #11) since there is only so much room.

Jordan, Russell, Kareem, Magic, Bird, Hakeem, Kobe, Duncan, Shaq, Wilt.

Those 10 are clearly the first-tier top10 players, how can you justify bumping one of those players off for Oscar? Just because he averaged a triple-double? (in reality a 20/8/8 type of season adjusted for pace)

Plus are you drunk or something? That or you forgot how to speak english.
    Oscar is and was clearly better than Kobe,Hakeem,Duncan. He changed the game. He was the first real Big PG.He was Magic before Magic but could score and defend better.His teams didn't win well what team did while playing against the GREAT CELTIC teams. How many rings Hakeem have while Jordan was playing?Kobe really ? Name another ALL TIME Great that it took 4 to 5 years befor he was really a factor ? All the other I mean all the other ten were great from begining to end. Not just the middle.Duncan can't say much bad but his numbers don't compare to Karl malone's he is a great player in a great system.

Decent playground baller Kovach's Avatar

I hate player rankings and player comparisons. There were way too many great players during the course of basketball history to be tamped into top 5 or 10 or 20 or even 100 lists, and player comparisons, especially of players from different eras, are nothing more than conjecture-ridden baloney. I could be arsed to make a list of my favorite players, but making the list of players I subjectively think were the best of all time serves absolutely no purpose whatsoever and is a monumental waste of time. Oh and arguing over which players is "better" is akin to arguing over whose dad would beat up whose.

Age is important in that it gives you perspective. You realize that a lot of the stuff that happens is cyclical and repetitive.

For example, a young fan may get carried away with how great he thinks a player is - say, Derrick Rose perhaps. An old head has seen it all before and knows that this player, in a historical sense, is nothing all that special.
    Last edited by JohnnySic; 08-25-2012 at 02:22 PM.

Decent playground baller Kovach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Poetry
    If you say Pulp Fiction is the greatest movie made, no one is going to take you seriously, especially if you haven't watched anything made prior to 1990.
    This however does not mean that watching films made prior to 1990 is necessarily going to change your mind.

Good college starter

Quote Originally Posted by swi7ch
    How many titles and MVPs did Oscar win?
    Well with him playing iin a era against the GREATEST TEAM in all team Sports History NONE. He also didnt have the luxuary to pack up and go play with Elgin and West. Like LBJ did. BUt hold up it was Oscar that fought and made it possible for players like Lebron to have FA's

Banned

What's up with all these angry old guys on ISH?

Nuggets/Avs/Broncos. NuggetsFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnySic
    Age is important in that it gives you perspective. You realize that a lot of the stuff that happens is cyclical and repetitive.

For example, a young fan may get carried away with how great he thinks a players is - say, Derrick Rose perhaps. An old head has seen it all before and knows that this player, in a historical sense, is nothing all that special.
    I'm 21 so not sure what that makes me but I think it's silly to think that the younger generation won't end up being far more educated basketball fans. A 12 year old kid can literally sit at home and watch 82 Boston Celtic games. Social media, statistics etc. are so much more advanced that people can literally double check what they are seeing. Back than a fan would be like Kevin Johnson is a BEAST at running the pick and roll, another one be like no blah blah and you'd argue. In today's day and age you can't do that. We've got numbers down to the point where you can just flat out say you're wrong.

Even compare it to the 90's. As a little kid growing up I had MJ shit shoved down my throat. Shoes, Junior Jammers, Movies, Cereal Boxes etc. Kids are far more informed. Back in the 60's you had what? Listen to the game on the radio for the most part. Read the newspaper? Kids in China probably weren't hearing about Wilt Chamberlain like they did with Jordan or LeBron James now.

If you could pick any generation to be a fan of the sport without taking talent into consideration right now is the choice, without a doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by NuggetsFan
    A 16 year old kid can know just as much about Oscar Robertson as a 30 year old man would. Unless your way up there in age and you got to see these.
    But keep in mind, there's a difference between watching the game and understanding it.

When you turn 30, start a conversation with a 16 year old and discuss basketball.

Unless he understands the nuisances of the game, the kind of understanding that only comes with having watched thousands of games and players, individual player ticks and affectations, you might as well be talking to your mom, because most 16 year olds don't have a firm grasp of the game.

Good college starter

Quote Originally Posted by NuggetsFan
    What I don't get is why older basketball fans believe they are so much smarter than younger one's. Unless your really old, you never saw Wilt and co play. Back than it wasn't even televised anyways. Correct me if I'm wrong only the 4th quarter of Wilt's 100 game was on the radio? right?. In today's day and age it's crazy. I'm 21 and even going back like 7 years ago the difference is insane, basketball fans that are 13-14 are insanely spoiled. If a 15 year kid wanted too, he could find TONS of footage on Magic and Bird. Look at archives of old newspapers, probably find old radio airings. You can find out how successful a player today is at running the P&R down to an exact %. You literally can watch 82 games of your favorite team, among sooo many others. How many live games would the average basketball fan watch in 1976?

Age doesn't really matter for the most part. It depends on how much a person is willing to research. A 16 year old kid can know just as much about Oscar Robertson as a 30 year old man would. Unless your way up there in age and you got to see these guy's play live, being a young fan doesn't really hold any disadvantage

Todays players are bigger,stronger,faster. But so is everything else. So the only measeuring stick is how great was a player against his peers.You have a point Nuggets fan tell me how great was Jo Jo White do you know?How about Gail Goodrich ?