Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 03-20-2008, 05:49 AM   #31
miller-time
NBA sixth man of the year

Default Re: Who would you rather have - garnett or bird for current celtics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricForman
Bird would be taken over prime KG, let alone a tail-end of his prime KG.

What a stupid thread.

That's like asking who would you rather have, Magic Johnson or Pau Gasol on the current Lakers.

What a girly reply...

i'm not asking whether bird was better then garnett. i'm asking if he would be prefered in this team as opposed to KG...

garnett has already helped this team achieve so far, would you risk replacing him or would you be satisfied to leave him.

also its nothing like "magic or gasol"..
miller-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 06:00 AM   #32
bence23
Dunking on everybody in the park

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIZARRO
Funny, because Bird was All NBA 2nd team defense for 3 consecutive years.

You're overthinking it man. The team would be better with Bird than KG.

It is Larry Bird.
Bird wouldn't be able to guard the athletes of today.

but i'd take Bird. Because he actually has balls.
bence23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 06:17 AM   #33
jo3y91
lebron stole my shoes!

for current celtics, i'd take Garnett, who else do they have for the PF position, plus he's a good defensive anchor and bird plays pierces positon and if he also plays ray allens position.
jo3y91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 07:35 AM   #34
Dwight_Howard12
Dwight Howard for MVP

Bird....even tough i enjoy watching KG play.
Dwight_Howard12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 07:47 AM   #35
Brunch@Five
College superstar

I take the guy who managed to put up 30/10/7 on 50+% shooting on one of the most stacked teams of all time.

How is this even a question?
Brunch@Five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 08:00 AM   #36
EricForman
Good college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller-time
What a girly reply...

i'm not asking whether bird was better then garnett. i'm asking if he would be prefered in this team as opposed to KG...

garnett has already helped this team achieve so far, would you risk replacing him or would you be satisfied to leave him.

also its nothing like "magic or gasol"..

Except for rebounding, Larry Bird is superior to Kevin Garnett in EVERY WAY POSSIBLE on the basketball court.

Why would KG be preferred over Bird?

Girly reply? This is a gay thread.

I don't care if the Celtics already have Paul Pierce at the 3. You take Bird over KG everytime.

Hell, even if you have prime Pippen prime Grant Hill on your team, you still take Bird over KG everytime.

He's LARRY F'N BIRD. Undoubtedly a top six player all time. You gonna compare him to KG? KG is a great player, but it's insulting for Bird to be compared to him. Compare Bird to Jordan, Wilt, Magic, Kareem. Don't be comparing him to second/third tier all time greats like KG/Iverson/Clyde Drexler.

Last edited by EricForman : 03-20-2008 at 08:07 AM.
EricForman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 08:02 AM   #37
2LeTTeRS KD
Both teams played hard

Even if Garnett were to lad this team to the next 2 straight titles and we were asked the question again 2 years from now I would still take Bird. Garnett is a beast, but come on this is Larry Bird.
2LeTTeRS KD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 08:09 AM   #38
Brunch@Five
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LeTTeRS KD
Even if Garnett were to lad this team to the next 2 straight titles and we were asked the question again 2 years from now I would still take Bird. Garnett is a beast, but come on this is Larry Bird.

Why would you want another player for the Celtics if Garnett wins them the next 2 championships? I doesn't get any better than winning it all, you know?
Brunch@Five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 08:33 AM   #39
geeWiz15
Banned

Quote:
with Garnett this Celtics team is playing some of the best defense that's ever been played. without that defense, the Celtics are nothing. regardless of their so-called star power. nevermind KG's offense, which is really not that much worse than Bird's.
geeWiz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 08:39 AM   #40
2LeTTeRS KD
Both teams played hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunch@Five
Why would you want another player for the Celtics if Garnett wins them the next 2 championships? I doesn't get any better than winning it all, you know?

I see Bird as being able to win more. Yes I could see Garnett winning 2, but for Bird on this team in this era I'd expect at least 3-4. No disrespect to KG at all but thats just how good Bird is. To me this is no different than people asking if you could replace Kobe with MJ on the 3-peat Lakers, or replace Pippen with Bron on the 90s Bulls would you. I answer yes each time because even though we know what those other combinations did I feel that when adding the better player there would be even more success.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:41 AM   #41
2LeTTeRS KD
Both teams played hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeWiz15
with Garnett this Celtics team is playing some of the best defense that's ever been played. without that defense, the Celtics are nothing. regardless of their so-called star power. nevermind KG's offense, which is really not that much worse than Bird's.

Maybe if we didn't see these Celts go 7-2 without KG I'd agree with you but after seeing that, not so much. There D is just fine without KG, and that was even before they added PJ Brown who will be another big help defensively in the playoffs. I think the one thing the Celts lack is a finisher, a cold blooded killer to ice teams at the end of close games. No disrespect to KG, Pierce, Allen or Cassel, but there is no player in the league's history I trust to do that more than Bird.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:44 AM   #42
dirkdiggler41
(no Dirk homer)

Garnett fits much better, but I still take Bird becaus I know for sure that he will do the job when it comes to the playoff
164playoff games > 47playoff games
dirkdiggler41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 08:50 AM   #43
Dasher
7-time NBA All-Star

I'd take Garnett because of his defense. All NBA Defense honors tend to be meaningless because random players seem to make that team. Bird's defense is severely overrated. Guys like Charles Barkley have said in interviews that they were offended when they were matched up with Bird and proceeded to torch him.

They are both great rebounders and passers. Bird has the edge in scoring but defense wins chips,and a team with Ray, Pierce, and Bird would be routinely lit up. Get off the mythology of Bird pipe, swap prime KG and Bird on those 80's Celtic teams and they would have been a true dynasty.
Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 08:57 AM   #44
dirkdiggler41
(no Dirk homer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasher
I'd take Garnett because of his defense. All NBA Defense honors tend to be meaningless because random players seem to make that team. Bird's defense is severely overrated. Guys like Charles Barkley have said in interviews that they were offended when they were matched up with Bird and proceeded to torch him.

They are both great rebounders and passers. Bird has the edge in scoring but defense wins chips,and a team with Ray, Pierce, and Bird would be routinely lit up. Get off the mythology of Bird pipe, swap prime KG and Bird on those 80's Celtic teams and they would have been a true dynasty.

Why did you not write that first so I would just stop reading right there?
dirkdiggler41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 08:59 AM   #45
2LeTTeRS KD
Both teams played hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasher

Wow I have one question for you, how old are you? From reading that you never saw Bird play in your life.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: