Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast

Default Most Overrated player of: All time, This Decade, and Last Season.

Who do you guys think is the most overrated player of All time, this decade, and last season? Briefly explain.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Default Re: Most Overrated player of: All time, This Decade, and Last Season.

Ummm...

All time...Pistol Pete. Did nothing...on any level...except score and be entertaining....was untradable in his prime till his home area got an expansion team and they needed him to sell tickets...all I find suggests he wasnt as highly thought of at the time as he is now by people who watch his highlights. In college he was scoring epic points on a team coached by his dad who told him to shoot everything....and losing in the process. And several guys in his same era scored 38-40 something a game too. Some were not even good nba players. Season after Piston scored I think 44 some other guy average 40 or 42 I believe. He wasnt as special as his numbers suggest. He was a gym built monster talent that didnt seem to translate into a team game as well as one would hope. I respect the work ethic but I just dont think he did anything to justify a lot of the love he gets. Ive seen people say he was miles better than Iverson and its just....weak.

Jermaine Oneal for the last decade. He was a lot better in skillset and ability than he was on the floor. He should have been putting up 23-28/11 from like 02-08. But unlike other wastes of talent like Sheed he had people who really thought he was a great player. Im not 100% sure he had more to do with those good pacer teams than Artest.

Chris Bosh(not as easy a pick as the others but ive heard a few too many people act like he was some elite player last year...dude is Vin Baker).
    Last edited by Kblaze8855; 08-09-2010 at 07:05 PM.

FCN
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Why is Pistol Pete overrated?

I def. like your J.O. choice. I've called him overrated since his second year in the league. Bosh I'm not so sure. He is a bit overrated but I think there are others who have been more so.

Why Pistol though? He was before my time, but from the highlight footage on youtube and whatnot that I've seen he looks to have been pretty incredible.

*edit*

I see your reasons now, thanks for updating. To each his own, and I suppose I am guilty of being one of those who has been impressed by his highlights. -They really are quite impressive though...
    Last edited by FCN; 08-09-2010 at 07:08 PM.

FCN

I used to think Chauncey Billups was hugely overrated prior to his move to Denver, but then I changed my mind.

I definitely agree with that Jermaine O'Neal pick too. he could have been special.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    Chris Bosh(not as easy a pick as the others but ive heard a few too many people act like he was some elite player last year...dude is Vin Baker).
    Kblaze you are one of my fav posters on the site but i dont agree with you on this. How is CB4 overrated? Yes i know he aint a superstar but he is very very good.

Explain

WE MISS U CHALMERS :( JerrySteakhouse's Avatar

Pau Gasol

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    Ummm...

All time...Pistol Pete. Did nothing...on any level...except score and be entertaining....was untradable in his prime till his home area got an expansion team and they needed him to sell tickets...all I find suggests he wasnt as highly thought of at the time as he is now by people who watch his highlights. In college he was scoring epic points on a team coached by his dad who told him to shoot everything....and losing in the process. And several guys in his same era scored 38-40 something a game too. Some were not even good nba players. Season after Piston scored I think 44 some other guy average 40 or 42 I believe. He wasnt as special as his numbers suggest. He was a gym built monster talent that didnt seem to translate into a team game as well as one would hope. I respect the work ethic but I just dont think he did anything to justify a lot of the love he gets. Ive seen people say he was miles better than Iverson and its just....weak.

Jermaine Oneal for the last decade. He was a lot better in skillset and ability than he was on the floor. He should have been putting up 23-28/11 from like 02-08. But unlike other wastes of talent like Sheed he had people who really thought he was a great player. Im not 100% sure he had more to do with those good pacer teams than Artest.

Definitely agree with you with Pistol Pete. No team success whatsoever & was a turnover machine.

Overrated all-time player on ISH: Scottie Pippen: "Hey lets overrated Pippen because we feel he is underrated" Just look at the Wade vs Pippen thread.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by FCN
    Why? Kobe would only have 3 rings if not for him.

*Braces himself for negreps from Kobestans.*
    better take a picture of that Green rep u have cuz that aint coming back

Banned

Kobe, Kobe, and Kobe.

Yeah, nut-huggers neg rep me.

Apart from being called one of the 50 GOAT, I don't think Maravich is really discussed in most boards, so from that view, he's not really overrated. However:

1) Thanks to his incredibly flamboyant style, his Youtube highlight mixes are more interesting than most mixes of legends of his era.

2) He still is incredibly popular and overrated in NCAA cycles. I'd say only Kareem and Walton gain more GOAT consideration. What would be the most ironic thing would be some of the "Maravich=GOAT NCAA player" theorists to also support the idea of Oscar Robertson being overrated in the NBA. Honestly, I think Robertson has at least an equally good case of being the NBA GOAT with Maravich being the NCAA GOAT. If Oscar was blamed in the NBA for being selfish and not a great winner, what should we claim about Maravich in the NCAA? I'll take any time Oscar's winning and team spirit in the NBA over Maravich' NCAA respective ones.

WALT BELLAMY

I've never seen dude play besides a few highlights, but from what I read he was overrated. He's overrated cause a ton of folks list him as being underrated.

I'll give him a pass for never making an All-NBA team in the 60s as he was a center playing in the Russell/Chamberlain era, but he was only a 4-Time All-Star his first four seasons.

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by New York Knicks
    Kobe, Kobe, and Kobe.

Yeah, nut-huggers neg rep me.
    Kobe, Kobe and Kobe. This is correct.

Kobe is more like an over achiever, not an over rated player.

Odom is really over rated, not because he's terrible, but because he shows glimpses of greatness sometimes, but then plays horribly soon after that. Still one of my favorite players.

FCN

Kobe is not overrated. Well maybe he is by the people who try to put him in the top 5 all-time, but even I as a Kobe-Hater acknowledge the reality that is his greatness.

I still don't think he is quite top ten all-time, but he's damn close.

As much as I hate him, His late game heroics and buzzer beating game winners never fail to amaze me. I root for him to miss, but he never does when it matters the most.

Overrated he is not, and as I said, this is coming from a Kobe hater. =)
    Last edited by FCN; 08-09-2010 at 09:57 PM.