Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    I rule the local playground

Default If you could take back one trade in your team's history, what would it be?

The team I support (LAL) hasn't made many bad trades, but the one that sticks out has to be Shaq to Miami. I still think LA could've gotten a larger return than Odom, Caron Butler (who was traded for KWAME of all people, yeesh), and Brian Grant (who had a terrible contract IIRC). Odom was a solid player but very inconsistent, Butler wasn't quite the guy he was in Washington, and Brian Grant just plain sucked while eating up a substantial amount of the salary cap. Meanwhile, Shaq turned Miami around, leading the Heat to 59 wins in 05 and then winning #4 in 06. I've heard that Shaq needed to be dealt in order to satisfy Kobe, but I still think they could've gotten more for the best center in the league (even accounting for the fact that there was a pretty good chance the Lakers FO would not trade him to a team in the West)

Another bad trade: Eddie Jones and Elden Campbell for Glen Rice - EJ was up for an extension and Rice was, according to Shaq, the shooter the Lakers needed. EJ had some great years in Charlotte, Campbell was a solid, young big man while Rice underperformed (albeit coming off elbow surgery). An Eddie Jones-Kobe-Ron Harper backcourt would've been a nightmare defensively - would be interesting to think about. Obviously it worked out with LAL winning it all in 2000, but Rice wasn't quite the best fit for the Lakers.

Some other mentions: trading Doug Christie to NY for some second rounders, Butler for Kwame (which could've been the worst had Kwame not netted Pau).

edit: changed some awkward phrasing
    Last edited by Thorn; 10-06-2012 at 11:36 PM.

Default Re: If you could take back one trade in your team's history, what would it be?

Quote Originally Posted by Thorn
    The team I support (LAL) hasn't made many bad trades, but the one that sticks out has to be Shaq to Miami. I still think LA could've gotten a larger return than Odom, Caron Butler (who was traded for KWAME of all people, yeesh), and Brian Grant (who had a terrible contract IIRC). Odom was a solid player but very inconsistent, Butler wasn't quite the guy he was in Washington, and Brian Grant just plain sucked while eating up a substantial amount of the salary cap. Meanwhile, Shaq turned Miami around, leading the Heat to 59 wins in 05 and then winning #4 in 06. I've heard that Shaq needed to be dealt in order to satisfy Kobe, but I still think there could've been a larger return for the best center in the league (even accounting for the fact that there was a pretty good chance the Lakers FO would not trade him to a team in the West)

Another bad trade: Eddie Jones and Elden Campbell for Glen Rice - EJ was up for an extension and Rice was, according to Shaq, the shooter the Lakers needed. EJ had some great years in Charlotte, Campbell was a solid, young big man while Rice underperformed (albeit coming off elbow surgery). An Eddie Jones-Kobe-Ron Harper backcourt would've been a nightmare defensively - would be interesting to think about. Obviously it worked out with LAL winning it all in 2000, but Rice wasn't quite the best fit for the Lakers.

Some other mentions: trading Doug Christie to NY for some second rounders, Butler for Kwame (which could've been the worst had Kwame not netted Pau).
    Chicago trading Aldridge for tyrus thomas

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

Default Re: If you could take back one trade in your team's history, what would it be?

Charles Smith

Next Great White Hope QuebecBaller's Avatar

Shawn Kemp for Vin Baker... add the contract of Jim McIlvaine

Vince Carter for Aaron Williams and Eric Williams

Quote Originally Posted by poido123
    Chicago trading Aldridge for tyrus thomas

Heat traded a future draft pick that ended up being Ty Lawson for Ricky Davis, which was an awful trade by Riley in hindsight. However, I would do it the exact same way, since if I change any event pre-2010, history might be changed and LeBron / Bosh don't end up in Miami.

Billups + Dice 4 cAnswer Iverson

I was very depressed after that trade

Learning to shoot layups NickTheQuick31's Avatar

The Lakers trading Nick Van Exel for Tyronn Lue and Tony Battie in 1998.

My older brother still detests Atlanta for Trading Dominique to the Clippers for Danny Manning in 94.

Bobcats Trade: Gerald Wallace

Blazers Trade: Joel Przybilla, Dante Cunningham, Sean Marks + 2 picks

It's not an awful trade, but when you consider the 3 players we got back were scrubs, and none of them are with the team now, we basically traded a fan favourite who was our best player, for 2 mid to low 1st round picks.

We just haven't been around long enough yet to make any real clangers. Bobcats should just be lucky this thread is limited to just trades, and not draft picks. I'd be writing an essay then.

National High School Star NewYorkNoPicks's Avatar

Could we include trades our teams passed up on?

If so then not sending Ewing to Orlando for Shaq in 95.

Actual trades that went through?

#2 pick in 06 and multiple other 1st round picks for Eddy Curry

Trading for Shaq.
    I had no problems sending out Marion but getting Shaq totally ruined the team

Quote Originally Posted by NewYorkNoPicks
    Could we include trades our teams passed up on?

If so then not sending Ewing to Orlando for Shaq in 95.

Actual trades that went through?

#2 pick in 06 and multiple other 1st round picks for Eddy Curry

You're insane if you think that would have been a good trade. And that's besides the fact that it would never have really been available.

Shaq comes to Knicks and I bet you Shaq don't win shit with the Knicks.

National High School Star NewYorkNoPicks's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Whoah10115
    You're insane if you think that would have been a good trade. And that's besides the fact that it would never have really been available.

Shaq comes to Knicks and I bet you Shaq don't win shit with the Knicks.
    Trade was on the table... Been watching ball for almost 20 years
    So dont tell me shit. Orlando feared Shaq might leave and had discussions with ny

At the very least we could have rebuilt around shaq, he was 8 years younger than Ewing

The Magic are a trash HylianNightmare's Avatar

trading to get hedo BACK after we didn't sign him to that horrible contract

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by HylianNightmare
    trading to get hedo BACK after we didn't sign him to that horrible contract
    jep, that one was crap