Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 714151617

Default Re: PickUp Game: Larry Bird VS Scottie Pippen

Quote Originally Posted by bwink23
    LOL at this dork talking like no one here has played a day of basketball in their lives.

Iv'e seen many videos of posters here playing basketball...

pretty pathetic.....sad really.

most look like they have hands like feet.

Great college starter

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaWolf24
    Iv'e seen many videos of posters here playing basketball...

pretty pathetic.....sad really.

most look like they have hands like feet.

NAME THE POSTERS....

NAME THE POSTERS....

ok...let me go back in the past 3 - 4 years I have been here and find them all...

I cannot remember all there names...but many threads of "do I have a good shot?"..."look at my handle"..."what's wronmg with my shot?"....."do I jump the right way"....

then there's a person (can't remember his name) who shows videos of him slamming on a 6' huffy hoop

BTW I was bieng sarcastic about going back 3 - 4 years..
    Last edited by AlphaWolf24; 01-25-2012 at 01:24 PM.

Very good NBA starter Round Mound's Avatar

Pippen never said bird was the toughest player he ever defended. Hell he defended jordan in practice every day.

Yes he did i heard that in an interview a long time ago.

I showed you clips of him guarding barkley. Did you watch the video? Ewing tried to back him down at 7 feet and tried to fade away, pippen still blocked his shot barkley tried to move him off the post cuz pippen was fronting him, and barkley couldn't. Granted noramally grant defended barkley, but those clips were more used to show that bird posting him up isn't a given.

He guarded Barkley well in some plays but overall he was schooled by Barkley.

Head to Head: Barkley vs Pippen

Season

Barkley: 24.1 PPG
    ([COLOR="Blue"]58.9% FG[/COLOR])
    Only 14.7 FGAs PG
    11.3 RPG
    3.9 APG
    1.0 SPG
    0.7 BPG
    *And Less Personal Fouls

Play-Offs

Barkley: 26.5 PPG
    ([COLOR="Blue"]53.7% FG[/COLOR])
    18.3 FGAs PG
    11.7 RPG
    5.5 APG
    1.3 SPG
    *And Same Amount of Personal Fouls

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...1&p2=pippesc01

Won`t even go into the 2-Point FG% because it was probably over 60% and over 23 PPG

And again, the contrast in this debate is that I posted clips of great low post big men trying to post up pippen (prime 28-30 yr old not a 22 year old kid pippen) without success. You guys have shown clips where either bird didn't do anything remotely close to what would be considered 1 on 1, IE the curls, picks, screens etc, or he beat really bad defenders off the dribble. Guys like brad sellers, dominique wilkins, and some white guy that I don't remember

Bird from 79-86 Would have Destroyed Pippen (remember after 1989 Bird was constantly injured). Bird still outplayed Pippen in the Head to Heads and Pippen was in Foul Trouble for most of these Games.

I am not saying Pippen wasn`t a Great Defender. I am a fan of Pippen and I think he was the Most Verstaile Defender after Rodman (he could guard 1-4 but 4 pretty well, not stars) but you lie when you say he did well against Bird or Barkley. The opposite happened.
    Last edited by Round Mound; 01-25-2012 at 02:09 PM.

LOL at this dork talking like no one here has played a day of basketball in their lives.
    He's right. Its obvious a lot of you guys can't distinguish the difference bewteen team ball and 1 on 1/street ball. Street ball consist of a lot of transition and isos. Organized team ball is what we saw the celtics do with bird in the clips you've shown.

And there's a huge difference between the two.

Great college starter

Quote Originally Posted by 97 bulls
    He's right. Its obvious a lot of you guys can't distinguish the difference bewteen team ball and 1 on 1/street ball. Street ball consist of a lot of transition and isos. Organized team ball is what we saw the celtics do with bird in the clips you've shown.

And there's a huge difference between the two.

NO....it's obvious your a second 3-peat Bulls homer who don't have the slightest clue what your talking about.

I showed plenty of clips of Bird owning Pippen in isolation...you just choose to ignore it....like a fool.

Quote Originally Posted by Round Mound
    Pippen never said bird was the toughest player he ever defended. Hell he defended jordan in practice every day.

Yes he did i heard that in an interview a long time ago.

I showed you clips of him guarding barkley. Did you watch the video? Ewing tried to back him down at 7 feet and tried to fade away, pippen still blocked his shot barkley tried to move him off the post cuz pippen was fronting him, and barkley couldn't. Granted noramally grant defended barkley, but those clips were more used to show that bird posting him up isn't a given.

He guarded Barkley well in some plays but overall he was schooled by Barkley.

Head to Head: Barkley vs Pippen

Season

Barkley: 24.1 PPG
    ([COLOR="Blue"]58.9% FG[/COLOR])
    Only 14.7 FGAs PG
    11.3 RPG
    3.9 APG
    1.0 SPG
    0.7 BPG
    *And Less Personal Fouls

Play-Offs

Barkley: 26.5 PPG
    ([COLOR="Blue"]53.7% FG[/COLOR])
    18.3 FGAs PG
    11.7 RPG
    5.5 APG
    1.3 SPG
    *And Same Amount of Personal Fouls

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...1&p2=pippesc01

Won`t even go into the 2-Point FG% because it was probably over 60% and over 23 PPG

And again, the contrast in this debate is that I posted clips of great low post big men trying to post up pippen (prime 28-30 yr old not a 22 year old kid pippen) without success. You guys have shown clips where either bird didn't do anything remotely close to what would be considered 1 on 1, IE the curls, picks, screens etc, or he beat really bad defenders off the dribble. Guys like brad sellers, dominique wilkins, and some white guy that I don't remember

Bird from 79-86 Would have Destroyed Pippen (remember after 1989 Bird was constantly injured). Bird still outplayed Pippen in the Head to Heads and Pippen was in Foul Trouble for most of these Games.

I am not saying Pippen wasn`t a Great Defender. I am a fan of Pippen and I think he was the Most Verstaile Defender after Rodman (he could guard 1-4 but 4 pretty well, not stars) but you lie when you say he did well against Bird or Barkley. The opposite happened.
    I can't believe you can be this dumb when it comes to comparisons. First, were talking about 1 on 1 why are you trying to use statistics that came in a team game?

What's more, is that in those team games, are you also accounting for their minutes? And the fact the first 5 or 6 games between the bulls and celtics, the bulls starting SF was brad sellers. Not scottie pippen. When you look up those head to head comparisons, those aren't what bird did when pippen was on him, that's what bird did vs the bulls, while pippen was on the team. I could look up pippen vs shaq on the head to head finder. Its gonna show how the two faired vs the opposing team while they both were on their respective teams. Pippen never guarded shaq, and shaq never guarded pippen. Most of those satistics you posted are what barkley did to horace grant.

I posted that video in response to eliteballer saying pippen wasnt a strong post defender. And you feeling bird would just post pippen up with his "leg length" as you put it. Pippen was a great post defender and that video bares it out. He defended much bigger and better post players than bird.

I don't see why this is so hard to understand, phil jackson, john bach, and tex winter are on record as saying that in the bulls practices jordan and pippen defended each other and they were knock down drag out games. Or to use jacksons words "extremely competitive". If pippen can defend and score on the greatest one on one player ever, why can't he do it vs larry bird?
    Last edited by 97 bulls; 01-25-2012 at 03:34 PM.

NO....it's obvious your a second 3-peat Bulls homer who don't have the slightest clue what your talking about.

I showed plenty of clips of Bird owning Pippen in isolation...you just choose to ignore it....like a fool.
    You showed me a clip, one play, one possession, that all, of bird posting up scottie pippen as a rookie. And a plethera of shots bird made on brad sellers. Who was a bust. That brad sellers pick was so bad that it started the feud between jordan and krause lol.

And what does the second threepeast bull have to do with this?

you can't stop me get these NETS's Avatar

97bulls

you are looking at logic...others are looking at skin color...despite what you write....many are too insecure to concede even obvious points.

it goes beyond homerism....it's based on fact that Bird was a legitimately great white player, so some feel like they have to hold his banner up and tell lies in hypothetical situations.

same element of ish who wrote repeatedly about Dirk's "heroic" playoff run last year..even though that term in sports is usually used for guys that are hurt.

Emmit Smith suffered a separated collarbone in a playoff game against the Giants.....came back in toughed it out....and his team won...THAT was heroic..

Isiah Thomas almost single handedly won the pistons first ring against lakers on a banged up ankle..that was heroic

Zo came back from major kidney surgery to play in the league again.....THAT was heroic

Dirk had a SPECTACULAR tear through the playoffs and came up huge when his team needed him to....but "heroic"???????

Larry Bird gamewinner in Pippen and Jordan's face: http://y2u.be/WoGmMx8Ejrw

Pure ISO, no screens.. just a nice shot

Quote Originally Posted by get these NETS
    97bulls

you are looking at logic...others are looking at skin color...despite what you write....many are too insecure to concede even obvious points.

it goes beyond homerism....it's based on fact that Bird was a legitimately great white player, so some feel like they have to hold his banner up and tell lies in hypothetical situations.

same element of ish who wrote repeatedly about Dirk's "heroic" playoff run last year..even though that term in sports is usually used for guys that are hurt.

Emmit Smith suffered a separated collarbone in a playoff game against the Giants.....came back in toughed it out....and his team won...THAT was heroic..

Isiah Thomas almost single handedly won the pistons first ring against lakers on a banged up ankle..that was heroic

Zo came back from major kidney surgery to play in the league again.....THAT was heroic

Dirk had a SPECTACULAR tear through the playoffs and came up huge when his team needed him to....but "heroic"???????
    I agree. I really feel bird has somehow amassed this paul bunyan like stature. I've already stated my feeling pippen would win one on one doesn't make pippen a better basketball player than bird. But pippens skillset is gonna hold truer than birds in a game of 1 on 1. Why they can't get this is baffleing