Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast

Default The Jordan Fadeaway.

It was kind of embarrassing to watch how much trouble Kobe was having with his posting up for the fadeaway against the shorter Harden. He was smacking it of his hands and everything. Jordan was nearly flawless with his fadeaway, and seemed to have much better footwork.

In an interview Jordan said that it was a move that he developed and perfected because the double teams were coming so fast. And I'm not talking about just the regular fadeaway that every player has done since the beginning of the game, I'm talking about the Jordan fadeaway, with the footwork and fakes, which is much more advance, and that Kobe seems to be the only one who really tries to use.

Edit 03/07/2011

This video of Jordan showing how to do the fadeaway kind of talks about what about was refering to about Kobe making mistakes that I never saw Jordan do. Harden kept stripping the ball away from Kobe, and in the video one of the main things Jordan talks about is protecting the basketball, else it's going to get stripped. I'm sure Kobe knows that, but sometimes lack of focus can cause a person to make a mistake.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTLSQqhFQ6M

Here's Harden playing defense on Kobe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63TDVWnZ5K8

Noticed that Kobe is doing exactly what Jordan says not to do.

Like I said, the person who's able to think out of the box and expand things, the creative type is always going to be better than a person who tries to copy them. It's a mind thing.
    Last edited by jstern; 03-07-2011 at 01:37 PM.

Local High School Star

Default Re: The Jordan Fadeaway.

Do you know how much more athletic the players that guard Kobe are or how much more athletic players are in general today?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by knightfall88
    Do you know how much more athletic the players that guard Kobe are or how much more athletic players are in general today?
    Yeah sure. And I'm sure being limited how a player can defend a player one on one in this era also makes it harder on Kobe.

But let say what you say is true, shouldn't it be relative? If the nutrition is so much superior than the 90s then that would benefit Kobe. So since it benefits Kobe also shouldn't Kobe be able to easily get a fadeaway off of a shorter player who has been in the league for 1 and a half season?

Edit: Also remember, that your argument is the same argument that Kobe fanboys used in 2005, 2 years after Jordan retired as a 40 year old. I say 2005, because as the years passes the time becomes more distant, and the fact that they use that excuse that makes no sense becomes less dependable. But a fanboy saying it now is really the same as a fanboy saying it then, because it's the same ignorant logic, only that it becomes harder to show how ignorant it is as time passes by. And you're probably too young to know that Kobe came in the league in 96.
    Last edited by jstern; 03-03-2011 at 05:42 PM.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0Uw5B--arA

3:01 mark waldus papa teaching baby boy
    Last edited by az00m; 03-03-2011 at 05:42 PM.

I have a pretty high ego, but in a good sense, confidence wise. I feel I’m exactly like Kobe in that sense, that even as a regular guy I feel that there’s nothing an NBA player can do that I can’t, had I gotten the same opportunities, genes, etc. I think I can match anyone, Kobe, Wade, etc, all except Jordan. He's just a different mental level than anyone. And it hit me once while trying to copy his fadeaway. That an imitator can never be greater than the creator, originator, to the person who had the creativity to develop something. Make something out nothing, able to think out of the box, and that’s Jordan. I just would not have been able to think outside of the box enough to develop a game that consisted of all those fadeaways he used to do. Jordan 2 I’m talking about, the one that came back from retirement. The older one.

OK, Harden did a good job on him. So what? It's pretty obvious that Kobe has mastered the mid-range fadeaway.

Decent college freshman Vragrant's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Walduś
    Since you seem to like old footage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dN3sto7KGQs&NR=1

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jstern
    It was kind of embarrassing to watch how much trouble Kobe was having with his posting up for the fadeaway against the shorter Harden. He was smacking it of his hands and everything. Jordan was nearly flawless with his fadeaway, and seemed to have much better footwork.

In an interview Jordan said that it was a move that he developed and perfected because the double teams were coming so fast. And I'm not talking about just the regular fadeaway that every player has done since the beginning of the game, I'm talking about the Jordan fadeaway, with the footwork and fakes, which is much more advance, and that Kobe seems to be the only one who really tries to use.
    A fail troll is a failed troll.

First of all harden wasn't guarding Kobe... It was Thabo Sefolosha and his long ass hands.

Harden only guarded him a few possessions.

Nice try troll.

people think of Jordan and they envision the Jumpman. When I think of Jordan, I think of that unstoppable fadeaway. didn't matter if a 6'10 guy was on him, he got it off, and when he got it off, he was pretty much money from anywhere in the midpost.

tied with the SkyHook as the most effective shot ever created (other than a dunk)

Quote Originally Posted by lefthook00
    OK, Harden did a good job on him. So what? It's pretty obvious that Kobe has mastered the mid-range fadeaway.
    What Jordan mastered was his reactions to the defender his reflexes, it's something that's hard to explain, unless you're familiar with Jordan's game. Like I was was watching a video earlier, Jordan goes up for the fadeaway, his opponent was able to get a great jump, yet Jordan was somehow able to stop himself, and then jump. The average person wouldn't have been able to notice just how much skills was involved there. The point is that Kobe was just making to many mistakes it wasn't Hayden's defense, and I don't remember Jordan ever making a mistake, except getting blocked by Starks once.

And as someone who is obsessed with copying move, I completely understand the flaw with Kobe. In a subtle way it becomes less about reflexes when doing it, and more about going over a pre planned move. Jordan with the fadeaway was more successful in pulling it off against great defense because with him it was more about reflex, while with Kobe, it's subtlety more forced and pre determine how he plans on doing it.

This is not a knock on Kobe, it's just a comparison and explanation of Jordan's fadeaway. If anything I'm applauding Kobe for being the type of person who thinks he can do anything anyone else can do. That's the number one thing I admire about Kobe. Not a coward.
    Last edited by jstern; 03-03-2011 at 06:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk Hogan
    A fail troll is a failed troll.

First of all harden wasn't guarding Kobe... It was Thabo Sefolosha and his long ass hands.

Harden only guarded him a few possessions.

Nice try troll.
    1st you knowingly post some fake clutch stats, and now you try to mislead. Did you watch the game? Did Kobe not try to do fadeaways like every single time Harden defended him?

National High School Star Nevaeh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jstern
    What Jordan mastered was his reactions to the defender his reflexes, it's something that's hard to explain, unless you're familiar with Jordan's game. Like I was was watching a video earlier, Jordan goes up for the fadeaway, his opponent was able to get a great jump, yet Jordan was somehow able to stop himself, and then jump. The average person wouldn't have been able to notice just how much skills was involved there. The point is that Kobe was just making to many mistakes it wasn't Hayden's defense, and I don't remember Jordan ever making a mistake, except getting blocked by Starks once.

And as someone who is obsessed with copying move, I completely understand the flaw with Kobe. In a subtle way it becomes less about reflexes when doing it, and more about going over a pre planned move. Jordan with the fadeaway was more successful in pulling it off against great defense because with him it was more about reflex, while with Kobe, it's subtlety more forced and pre determine how he plans on doing it.

This is not a knock on Kobe, it's just a comparison and explanation of Jordan's fadeaway. If anything I'm applauding Kobe for being the type of person who thinks he can do anything anyone else can do. That's the number one thing I admire about Kobe. Not a coward.
    The difference is Kobe sometimes plays for "Style Points", where as MJ would go with the move that was most effective. His style just came naturally, like it does for certain people with great rhythm. You can't teach instinct, it's either there or it's not. And Jordan was a Master at clearing space for himself on His shots, even at 40 years old.

Good High School Starter

Quote Originally Posted by knightfall88
    Approximately how much more? I would like to see you try to answer this.