NBA lottery pick

Default NBA Totals Data 47-2015

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Though some people might have an interest in this. You might ignore the graphs and other calcs. They don't seem to be looking or acting right on the google doc.

If they do display though kinda interesting stuff. Just looking at top 5 players in minutes and top 5 players in points as a percentage of team points and then a graph of the top player and their percentage of team points. Really interested how big an impact Wilt's 62 season had on the chart. It's also worth noting that we're seeing a decline in all areas in recent years. Hard to define the point since we see a lot of sharp moves year over year but the general trend is definitely downward. I'm sure others can pull some better data out of this. But I was honestly just playing around.

I'll hopefully add in more data later.

All credit and thanks to basketball reference.

College superstar BlackWhiteGreen's Avatar

Default Re: NBA Totals Data 47-2015

So are those career totals for all players, or by season? (EDIT: can see now it's per season totals). You said theyre from bball ref, did you scrape them somehow or can you download it?

I've been doing some SQL stuff for work and was thinking of messing around with NBA data, do you mind if I use this? Would be happy to take requests for any specific analysis anyone would like doing.
    Last edited by BlackWhiteGreen; 10-25-2015 at 09:53 AM.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by BlackWhiteGreen
    So are those career totals for all players, or by season? You said theyre from bball ref, did you scrape them somehow or can you download it?

I've been doing some SQL stuff for work and was thinking of messing around with NBA data, do you mind if I use this? Would be happy to take requests for any specific analysis anyone would like doing.
    By season and by team if multiple teams you'll have a tot.

This is from basketball reference, copy and paste, copy and paste, copy and paste *shoot me*

I'll be adding per 100 and advanced stats. I could do PER game but I mean you can just do the math...so don't see a value add unless I'm missing something.

And it's shared to allow people to do work with it :)

If you get a SQL table setup please sure. I wouldn't mind trying to remember the little SQL I know and use it though honestly with small data like this odds are I'll end up just using Excel for any analytics work.

NBA lottery pick

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

advanced and per 100. I couldn't add them all to one sheet. Google doesn't seem to support larger files (rather annoying of them).

College superstar BlackWhiteGreen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dhsilv
    By season and by team if multiple teams you'll have a tot.

This is from basketball reference, copy and paste, copy and paste, copy and paste *shoot me*

I'll be adding per 100 and advanced stats. I could do PER game but I mean you can just do the math...so don't see a value add unless I'm missing something.

And it's shared to allow people to do work with it :)

If you get a SQL table setup please sure. I wouldn't mind trying to remember the little SQL I know and use it though honestly with small data like this odds are I'll end up just using Excel for any analytics work.
    Cool, this is really useful, thanks!

Having some issues getting it into a table but once I have, should have plenty of fun with it.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by BlackWhiteGreen
    Cool, this is really useful, thanks!

Having some issues getting it into a table but once I have, should have plenty of fun with it.
    Good deal. Are you importing it right into an mySQL table or using something like access to create tables? But yeah creating the file layouts can be a pain sometimes.

BTW my first interest in this was to work with changes in team scoring/pace/etc and to play with distribution between starters (not easy to do here but you can approximate) and the bench. My hypothesis is over time the benches are gotten stronger or possibly we see benches improving until a team is added. How that distribution changes as expansion is also interesting to me.

I'm not sure how much can really be done with this that hasn't been since all the analytics are now based on play by play data, but that's BIG DATA.