Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Banned

Default Re: Why don't people use stats per 36 minutes more often?

Quote Originally Posted by chips93
    i meant whether you are RG or not is inconclusive.
    You can go ask the mods and admins to compare IPs and that will be the answer. It won't match and that is what I am saying. I am simply here just to discuss about basketball specifically the NBA. Would you want to join and have an intelligent discussion about that with me instead of discussing about pointless stuff that me and most people don't care about?

i think per 36 is useful, like a few people have said, only for comparing players with close enough minutes.

as for PER, i think its an ok stat. it doesnt mean everything like critics claim its supposed to, but its kinda useful.
    Good, we agree on both subjects.
    and win shares, well i have no idea how they are calculated, and ive asked many times here, for an explanation.

ive seen people use them to explain how great their player is, and then they have no idea what it actually means.

if you know, id love an explanation.
    I don't understand how win shares work either. It seems like it is just a bogus statistic to defend their favorite player or the player they are arguing for rather than actually proving or showing anything.

Here are a couple of examples of why win shares is pointless and dumb,

Detlef Schrempf, Dana Barros, Reggie Miller, and Stockton were all ahead of Hakeem in win shares in 1995. The same year that Hakeem Olajuwon was the best player in the league and the #2 best at the very worst. Hakeem wasn't even top 10 in win shares that season.

Brent Barry had more win shares than Jason Kidd did in 2002. 2002 was the same season where Jason Kidd was a legit MVP candidate and was argued that he should have won the MVP that season

Quote Originally Posted by StateOfMind12
    It seems like it might be a better stat to use than per game because it adjusts the minutes played rather than games played.

e.g. if one player is usually a top 5 scorer in the league and typically averages about 27 ppg but then in one game he has to leave the game in the 1st quarter due to an injury. That injury would really mess with his averages for per game statistics wouldn't it That isn't the case with per 36 minutes though and I think it should be used more often.
    Agree. It can only be used to compare similar players. There's no comparison between scrubs, role players, or superstars.

Quote Originally Posted by StateOfMind12
    If you see how per 36 minute stats are calculated, they aren't that different from stats per minute. The calculation is simply divide the total (e.g. points, assits, rebounds, etc.) with minutes and then multiply by 36. I think it's a good stat only if it is taken for context like a few have stated like Fatal9.
    This.