Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Da Mavs

Default Re: Cavs Join Mavs in Bynum Bid

Basically if all else is equal, Cavs want to give one year deal while Mavs are considering multi year at lower $ per year.

I haven't looked into the details, but I think the Cavs can offer Bynum more money, but if they plan to offer him top dollar I don't like that. I'd rather take a chance on Oden for a lower dollar amount.

I hope they don't offer top dollar to him. He literally has degenerative knees.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Meticode
    I haven't looked into the details, but I think the Cavs can offer Bynum more money, but if they plan to offer him top dollar I don't like that. I'd rather take a chance on Oden for a lower dollar amount.

I hope they don't offer top dollar to him. He literally has degenerative knees.
    If it's a one year deal as has been reported, it really doesn't matter all that much. I worry more about his impact on the lockerroom than any potential knee issues with just a one year deal.

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    If it's a one year deal as has been reported, it really doesn't matter all that much. I worry more about his impact on the lockerroom than any potential knee issues with just a one year deal.
    Maybe he'll start shooting threes.

Give him a 400k one year contract.

Otherwise waste of cap and roster space for both teams.

Good college starter Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

Man, I'll feel real bad for Mavs and their fans if they can't even land Bynum...

almost would feel bad for Cuban too. But he'd have to pay me a few mil first.

Local High School Star cavsfanatic's Avatar

Cavs can offer 1 year for 15 million. It won't hinder them at all for next season in FA. If he's healthy he's best C in league offense wise. He won't be bad in the locker room on a 1 year deal. He'll be on best behavior to earn a long term contract.

Quote Originally Posted by cavsfanatic
    Cavs can offer 1 year for 15 million. It won't hinder them at all for next season in FA. If he's healthy he's best C in league offense wise. He won't be bad in the locker room on a 1 year deal. He'll be on best behavior to earn a long term contract.
    I wouldn't mind it if it's for one year personally. But the chance the Sixers took before last year I don't agree with. They traded major assets of their team banking on it to work out and now because of they're basically totally rebuilding now.

Thunder it DOWN, Dion! PleezeBelieve's Avatar

Cavs will off a two year deal with a team option second year.

2 year 20-25 mill sounds about right

Quote Originally Posted by PleezeBelieve
    Cavs will off a two year deal with a team option second year.

2 year 20-25 mill sounds about right
    Would be a smart move for the Cavs if you cut the salary in half.

You need to worry about both.
    A one year deal with a team option on a second is perfect, anything else you hope your GM runs away with his fingers in his ears shouting "I can't hear you"

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by daily
    You need to worry about both.
    A one year deal with a team option on a second is perfect, anything else you hope your GM runs away with his fingers in his ears shouting "I can't hear you"
    The Cavs have money to spend. They've already filled two major holes with getting a legit combo guard off the bench and a guy who can play either forward position.

They have around $15 million left and a roster that looks set to go. If they can add Bynum, it's gravy. He's not getting a long deal from anyone after what happened last year. If Dallas is dumb enough to offer him multiple years, they can have him.

But, for one year? No, I don't worry about his knees. Even if he doesn't play, he comes off the books next year and we still have the Varejao, Thompson, Bennett, Zeller, Clark frontcourt rotation, which looks pretty solid.

He has all the reason in the world to play and play well, though, if he wants that big payday next year. Even better if there is a team option for a second year.

If he plays and is back to being the good Bynum, this lineup looks pretty damn good to me...

PG - Kyrie Irving / Jarrett Jack
    SG - Dion Waiters / CJ Miles
    SF - Alonzo Gee / Earl Clark / Sergie Karasev
    PF - Tristan Thompson / Anthony Bennett
    C - Andrew Bynum / Anderson Varejao / Tyler Zeller
    Last edited by RedBlackAttack; 07-08-2013 at 12:33 AM.

Very good NBA starter

I know these GM's are gambling with house money but how screwed up is this league when Bynum could make 15 million in one year without potentially even playing.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

The Cavs have money to spend. They've already filled two major holes with getting a legit combo guard off the bench and a guy who can play either forward position.

They have around $15 million left and a roster that looks set to go. If they can add Bynum, it's gravy. He's not getting a long deal from anyone after what happened last year. If Dallas is dumb enough to offer him multiple years, they can have him.

But, for one year? No, I don't worry about his knees. Even if he doesn't play, he comes off the books next year and we still have the Varejao, Thompson, Bennett, Zeller, Clark frontcourt rotation, which looks pretty solid.

He has all the reason in the world to play and play well, though, if he wants that big payday next year. Even better if there is a team option for a second year.

If he plays and is back to being the good Bynum, this lineup looks pretty damn good to me...

PG - Kyrie Irving / Jarrett Jack
    SG - Dion Waiters / CJ Miles
    SF - Alonzo Gee / Earl Clark / Sergie Karasev
    PF - Tristan Thompson / Anthony Bennett
    C - Andrew Bynum / Anderson Varejao / Tyler Zeller
    The Mavs will definitely offer him more than a one year deal if they are satisfied with the condition of his knees. Not saying it's smart, but they will.

It's a good idea for the Cavs in theory, but the more I think about it...the more I don't like it. It most likely is a 1 year rental and I just don't think he's worth the trouble with a young team that needs gel and develop and identity.

I think they should spend the money on something else.