Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: Difference between classes of scorers

Quote Originally Posted by Samurai Swoosh
    You are a retard ...

In between okay scorer and good scorer?

Okay scorers - Thirty point games.

and that's even stretching it, the man has only averaged +30 once in his career.

Quote Originally Posted by catch24
    Yeah, definitely. Forgot to add Melo on that list. Both him and Iverson belong on the "great scorers" list.
    Melo is a good scorer.

Quote Originally Posted by Samurai Swoosh
    And Kobe's only done it 3x times.

Point?

He's one of the best scorers in the league.
    Kobe only did thrice because he was with shaq the first half of his career.

When Kobe had scrubs he averaged 30+ easily, Wade had scrubs multiple years and could only pull out 30 once.

If Kobe didn't have shaq, he would have averaged 40 ppg atleast once in his career. 10+ 30 ppg average... 50+ 50 pt games...etc

If he had the teammates he has today in his prime, He would also have atleast 4 more 30ppg average.

Shaq took up alot of shots. Kobe said it himself in a game interview. IF he didn't have shaq, he would be the #1 all-time scoring leader!

Banned

Kobe, Jordan, Bird, Tmac . Complete Scorers.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by catch24
    Renyoy - so according to you, Dantley and Gervin were better scores than Kobe, right? I mean Dantley at his peak averaged 30 on 58% shooting (had 5+ seasons of 30 on 55+ % shooting). Gervin put up similar scoring numbers.
    Dude.. joyner doesn't understand how to watch a basketball game. To him elite scorers are those who put up good efficiency stats.. That's it. It's not surprising he has that type of mentality because he stans Durant.. and Durant is not an elite scorer. He's an elite shooter with crazy length. He isn't a guy you toss the ball to and tell him go to work.. That wouldn't work. We saw him get locked down and shitted on in the clutch against Dallas because of his lack of ability to create off the dribble. He's an elite shooter and off the ball player.

With joyner, there's no watching the games and seeing how a player could kill you in a million different ways. No context or explanations are ever presented.. just numbers. He's a fvcking robot.

He's also the one that believes clutchness is pure luck.. so he probably attributes big games[50+pt ones] to pure luck as well.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tpols
    Dude.. joyner doesn't understand how to watch a basketball game. To him elite scorers are those who put up good efficiency stats.. That's it. It's not surprising he has that type of mentality because he stans Durant.. and Durant is not an elite scorer. He's an elite shooter with crazy length. He isn't a guy you toss the ball to and tell him go to work.. That wouldn't work. We saw him get locked down and shitted on in the clutch against Dallas because of his lack of ability to create off the dribble. He's an elite shooter and off the ball player.

With joyner, there's no watching the games and seeing how a player could kill you in a million different ways. No context or explanations are ever presented.. just numbers. He's a fvcking robot.

He's also the one that believes clutchness is pure luck.. so he probably attributes big games[50+pt ones] to pure luck as well.
    Really well said.

Local High School Star

You can tell the people who look at efficiency and disregard skillset have never played ball in their life.

Skillset and versatility in your scoring game is a big reason why someone like Carmelo or Kobe is trusted more in HEATED situations than someone like James.

I'm not talking about the stupid stats from 82 games. I'm talking about gamewinners, go ahead buckets with the clock running out.

They can beat you in more ways instead of a guy like LeBron who doesn't have near the variety they do. It's easier to pack the paint with LeBron, stick a defender on him and hope he misses the pull-up which he often does.

Another prime example of skillset/efficiency is Hakeem and Robinson. One was more efficient, the other the most skilled big man I ever saw. We all know who won the battle.....

I would look at a combination of efficiency, skillset, versatility and explosion (i.e huge scoring nights) to differentiate between the great and the BEST of the BEST. You have to score in big playoff games and when your team needs it the most as well.

Elite scorers
    Jordan, Kobe

Great scorers
    Wade, Iverson, McGrady, LeBron, Durant, Melo

Good scorers
    Drexler, Miller, Allen, Glen Rice ()

Guys on the same tier are not rougly equal as scorers. Wade is better than AI because even though he isn't as explosive, he is more consistent and reliable. Same with Jordan and Kobe. Kobe is more explosive such due to having more range on his shot but not as consistent.

Quote Originally Posted by NugzHeat3
    You can tell the people who look at efficiency and disregard skillset have never played ball in their life.

Skillset and versatility in your scoring game is a big reason why someone like Carmelo or Kobe is trusted more in HEATED situations than someone like James.

I'm not talking about the stupid stats from 82 games. I'm talking about gamewinners, go ahead buckets with the clock running out.

They can beat you in more ways instead of a guy like LeBron who doesn't have near the variety they do. It's easier to pack the paint with LeBron, stick a defender on him and hope he misses the pull-up which he often does.

Another prime example of skillset/efficiency is Hakeem and Robinson. One was more efficient, the other the most skilled big man I ever saw. We all know who won the battle.....

I would look at a combination of efficiency, skillset, versatility and explosion (i.e huge scoring nights) to differentiate between the great and the BEST of the BEST. You have to score in big playoff games and when your team needs it the most as well.

Elite scorers
    Jordan, Kobe

Great scorers

Good scorers

Guys on the same tier are not rougly equal as scorers. Wade is better than AI because even though he isn't as explosive, he is more consistent and reliable. Same with Jordan and Kobe. Kobe is more explosive such due to having more range on his shot but not as consistent.

No mention of Dirk. Really? The 8th highest ppg average in playoff history with the best overall efficiency out of any player scoring over 25 in playoff history.

LOL

Banned

Elite scorers
    Jordan, Kobe

Great scorers

Good scorers

I think Tmac should be on the elite list. But good post

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41
    No mention of Dirk. Really? The 8th highest ppg average in playoff history with the best overall efficiency out of any player scoring over 25 in playoff history.

LOL

He was only talking about perimeter players there bro.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41

LOL

I was looking at swingmen. Notice how guys like Kareem weren't in my list.

Dirk is up there though. He's a great scorer.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by kaiiu
    I think Tmac should be on the elite list. But good post
    TMac was great but he has one elite season whereas the others did it more consistently for longer.

Elite scorers
    Jordan, Kobe

Great scorers

Good scorers

Great post, bro. I know he had a short peak (prime), but Mcgrady was one of the most versatile scorers I have ever seen. EVER. I'd definitely put him in the Elite company with Bird, Kobe and Jordan.

As for great scorers, I agree... although you forgot to mention Dirk (as did I). I think he, like Durant, are on the cusp of that "elite" mark. Sorta in between, yaaa know?

I was looking at swingmen. Notice how guys like Kareem weren't in my list.

Dirk is up there though. He's a great scorer.
    I didn't know that. You didn't mention it in your post and Dirk obviously fits all of your descriptions.

Disagree with Kobe being on the Jordan level though.

Banned

TMac was great but he has one elite season whereas the others did it more consistently for longer.
    Tmac did that shit from 01-05. Dude had a season on par with Kobe's 06 during that span to. He wasnt the most efficient but in term of skills and volume scoring. He is right up there above the Lebrons, Wades of the world.