Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Could the Spurs attract star free agents?

Quote Originally Posted by Rameek
    Once Duncan retires it will be interesting to see how the team responds. This will be the first time in a long time they wont have an elite big.
    Replace Tim Duncan with Omer Asik, and throw in another good player like Afflalo, and they're contenders next season (if Pop's there). Timmy is the on-court leader of that team, but his actual game has been anything but irreplaceable this season.

not too much need imo, they pretty much just took a huge dump on the whole league

NBA rookie of the year HOoopCityJones's Avatar

They don't need it.

Bring in a decent role playing Big once Timmy retires and build around Kawaii and Parker.

Mozart Basketball no pun intended's Avatar

Pau Gasol. I guarantee it. Bookmark this.

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Milbuck
    Replace Tim Duncan with Omer Asik, and throw in another good player like Afflalo, and they're contenders next season (if Pop's there). Timmy is the on-court leader of that team, but his actual game has been anything but irreplaceable this season.

No.

People are underestimating the chemistry involved, Duncans ability to catch quick touch passes and flick them in, his lately reliable FT shooting, his passing from the post.

He is the opposite of empty stats. His stats tell less than what hes actually doing and while hes clearly not a dominant 'force' on this team, the consistency with which he does hs unique role is not something youre going to get from Omer Asik. Please.

Quote Originally Posted by Akrazotile
    No.

People are underestimating the chemistry involved, Duncans ability to catch quick touch passes and flick them in, his lately reliable FT shooting, his passing from the post.

He is the opposite of empty stats. His stats tell less than what hes actually doing and while hes clearly not a dominant 'force' on this team, the consistency with which he does hs unique role is not something youre going to get from Omer Asik. Please.
    Not Asik by himself. That's why I threw in Afflalo as well. Asik + Afflalo in place of TD next season would still have them contending imo, if you kept the rest of the team the same, Pop included.

Quote Originally Posted by Akrazotile
    No.

This. Current Duncan is like Bill Walton. He does everything for the Spurs: rebounding, defending, post scoring, passing. But a lot of things don't show up on the stat sheet. He can't be replaced easily, not even by the "best center in the league" Dwight Howard.

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by no pun intended
    Pau Gasol. I guarantee it. Bookmark this.

I would love to see Gasol on these Spurs but they just signed Splitter to a long deal, if Duncan and Diaw are both back I dont know if they even have room for Pau. Unless these guys wanna really divide up the minutes. Which might be ok with Ol Man Riverwalk but Boris and Splitter are still young and prob wanna keep playin solid minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by RichieW
    Marc Gasol to Spurs in 2015. Book it, they wouldn't lose much on the floor going from Duncan to Gasol. Marc is probably the most pperfect fit for the Spurs in the league.

Love? No thanks. Defence wins championships.
    Yeah, I agree Marc Gasol would be a good fit, good passer which the Spurs love and plays good defense.

Do they have any room this summer?

Serious playground baller

I dont think FA's are clamoring to go to Texas for Basketball unfortunately. If winning is the stars top priority then I cant see why they wouldnt want to be there though.
    No state income tax is about 10% more money in their pocket. That is a big deal. It's one reason why folks go to Florida as well.

Saw a basketball once

Quote Originally Posted by bekalc
    I think Lebron could fit into the Spurs philosophy. He's a very unselfish player. I think Lebron doesn't get enough credit for that.
    NBA will never allows that, because would be cheating to have LeBron under Pop's system.

Derrick Favors to be mentored under Duncan before he retires would be nice.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by GabeIsGone
    Kevin Love would be the perfect fit. A spread 4 that could play next to Splitter once Duncan is gone.
    Can't play D, has a huge ego, not a team player. Terrible fit.

Learning to shoot layups

Once Duncan retires it will be interesting to see how the team responds. This will be the first time in a long time they wont have an elite big.

I dont think FA's are clamoring to go to Texas for Basketball unfortunately. If winning is the stars top priority then I cant see why they wouldnt want to be there though.
    What do you all reckon:

Are Kawhi and Parker good enough to be the best two players on a contending team? What about if Pop goes/stays?

I'd be keen to see them go out and get Ibaka somehow, Pop is strong on him.