Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Saw a basketball once

Default Re: Fastest True Center in NBA History?

Without question David Robinson... if you read Cameron Stauth's book on the Dream Team he mentioned that David was not only EASILY the fastest center i the league, but the fastest player on his TEAM at that time. From baseline to baseline its no contest, even with phenoms such as Dwight Howard.

Quickness I would say its near even between him and Olajuwon but actual speed there is no question the D-Rob is still by far and away the fastest center in history (but with all the athletes being produced now, it may well change some day soon).

3-time NBA All-Star

One more time...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Paex9-VxPbA

Wilt was a SPRINTER at Kansas for cryingoutloud. He was a member of their 4x100 relay team, and he ran the 440 and 880. And, as I posted previously...he outran the Chiefs fastest running back, in a 40 yard dash, in a tryout conducted by Hank Stram.

Banned

Forget speed, I'd say DRob is the greatest physical specimen to ever play in the NBA. He was straight up built like a terminator.

Saw a basketball once

Quote Originally Posted by jlauber
    One more time...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Paex9-VxPbA

Wilt was a SPRINTER at Kansas for cryingoutloud. He was a member of their 4x100 relay team, and he ran the 440 and 880. And, as I posted previously...he outran the Chiefs fastest running back, in a 40 yard dash, in a tryout conducted by Hank Stram.
    I'd be willing to bet D-Rob had close to a 4.3-4.4 40yd time as well...

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_520
    I'd be willing to bet D-Rob had close to a 4.3-4.4 40yd time as well...
    I couldn't tell you. Wilt, by his own admission (take that as you want) said that he ran a 4.4 40.

One more comment on Wilt. He is credited with a 10.9 100 yard dash in high school. Not sure where that came from. In one of his books, he made the comment that one of his teammates at Kansas, Ernie Shelby, ran a 9.3...and that Shelby was one of the few sprinters he ran against who could beat him in 100 yards...and it was close. My gut feeling is Wilt ran at least a 9.9 100 yard dash.

I'm not sure if he was the fastest NBA player ever (Iverson?)...but he reportedly beat Hal Greer and others in footraces in practice. Those who saw Greer play would attest to his quickness.

In any case, in terms of pure athleticism, Wilt was probably without peers in the NBA. 4x100 sprinter, 440, 880, high jump (champion BTW), long jumper, tyriple jumper, shot put. And one more time, Stram felt that Wilt could have been an all-pro at several positions in the NFL. Chamberlain also had two legitimate offers to fight Ali, and after he retired he helped for a professional; volleyball league, and was considered very good at it, despite approaching age 40. Not only that, but he was widely considered among the strongest athletes in the world in the 60's and 70's. He reportedly was bench pressing over 500 lbs back then (when the world record was something like 625), and was even seen bench pressing 465 lbs late in his 50's. Not only that, but there were NBA teams that legitimately pursued him into his late 40's...and even at age 50!

FCN
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Quote Originally Posted by OneMoreSucka
    Marcus Camby
    Good call. He used to be great on the fast breaks w/ Sprewell.

YouGotServed
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

It's pretty clear that D-Rob wasn't fast enough to hang with Olajuwon.

Olajuwon is the faster center between those two.

NBA Finals

Big Z

*sorry for making an unfunny comment, i just had to do it*

Wilt Chamberlain

why live??

Robinson or Olajuwon

Quote Originally Posted by YouGotServed
    It's pretty clear that D-Rob wasn't fast enough to hang with Olajuwon.

Olajuwon is the faster center between those two.
    David was faster as a player as in sprint for sprint but being faster doesnt always translate into being a better basketball player. Hakeem was just simply better fundamentally and reacted quicker to everything (defense, the ball, etc)

Not even a mention of Bill Russell? I wish I could find that video that showed a play from an NCAA game when he dribbled half the court and layed the ball in, stepping from almost the FT line.

EDIT: Found it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTldjWX7yFg#t=5m22s
    Last edited by Psileas; 07-22-2010 at 01:18 PM.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Psileas
    Not even a mention of Bill Russell? I wish I could find that video that showed a play from an NCAA game when he dribbled half the court and layed the ball in, stepping from almost the FT line.

Quote Originally Posted by Psileas

Ohhh Sh!t I think he could have dunked that if he wanted to. Russell got ups

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
    Definitely David Robinson. Here's a small sample. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKVqpXl3M18
    Thanks for the link, that clip was the first thing I thought of when I heard "fast center". Robinson is the fastest center I've seen play firsthand (covering the rough time span from 1990-2010). He also appears to be the most comfortable dribbling at a high speed, not as much "patting" of the ball going on.

From what I've read and the small clips I've seen, Wilt was all-everything, but sometimes it's just not fun to come in and say, "Yeah, it's probably Wilt" and then call it a day. That's why I went with the "Amongst those I've watched" angle.