Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456
    NBA rookie of the year Da_Realist's Avatar

Default Re: Michael Jordan 86-90 vs 95-98?

Quote Originally Posted by 97 bulls
    The difference to me between the early 90s jordan and mid 90s jordan was that he was a willing team player who picked his spots.
    Was the same way in the early 90's

Let's look at some of his important games during the first threepeat

Averaged 7 asts vs Detroit in the ECF
    Averaged 11 asts vs LA in the NBA Finals

92 Finals
    The night he hit 6 treys in the first half, he also netted 11 asts. The next game, he had 10.

The two most important games of the Knicks series -- In game 3, he got 11 asts and in game 5, he got 14 asts (including the game winning ast) along with a triple double

Narrowly missed a triple double in the Finals because he "only" got 9 asts in Game 1. In Games 5 and 6, he got 7 asts each. Even more impressive was game 6 -- they all came in the first 3 quarters because his teammates were playing scared throughout all of the 4th.

If that ain't being a willing team player, I don't know what is.

National High School Star Nevaeh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Da_Realist
    Was the same way in the early 90's

Let's look at some of his important games during the first threepeat

Averaged 7 asts vs Detroit in the ECF
    Averaged 11 asts vs LA in the NBA Finals

92 Finals
    The night he hit 6 treys in the first half, he also netted 11 asts. The next game, he had 10.

The two most important games of the Knicks series -- In game 3, he got 11 asts and in game 5, he got 14 asts (including the game winning ast) along with a triple double

Narrowly missed a triple double in the Finals because he "only" got 9 asts in Game 1. In Games 5 and 6, he got 7 asts each. Even more impressive was game 6 -- they all came in the first 3 quarters because his teammates were playing scared throughout all of the 4th.

If that ain't being a willing team player, I don't know what is.
    Great points Da Realist

I think 97 Bulls got side tracked a bit, when he brought early 90s Jordan into the debate. Now, if he stuck to 86-90 Jordan not being as good as 95-98 Jordan, then I can see his point.

NBA rookie of the year Da_Realist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nevaeh
    Great points Da Realist

I think 97 Bulls got side tracked a bit, when he brought early 90s Jordan into the debate. Now, if he stuck to 86-90 Jordan not being as good as 95-98 Jordan, then I can see his point.
    Yeah, we got sidetracked a little bit. There was no one like him throughout his whole career. Only when he was with the Wizards could you miss a game and not feel like you might have missed something special. And even then, you weren't sure. Just like Magic said, "he could go 1-10, but that one shot may be the greatest shot you ever saw".

Quote Originally Posted by Da_Realist
    Yeah, we got sidetracked a little bit. There was no one like him throughout his whole career. Only when he was with the Wizards could you miss a game and not feel like you might have missed something special. And even then, you weren't sure. Just like Magic said, "he could go 1-10, but that one shot may be the greatest shot you ever saw".
    Great point! I feel MJ during his Wizards days was still an All Star caliber SF. Particularly when u look at the all around aspects of the game. I even feel MJ deferred some because he was originally on the executive side of things. So i'm sure he was teaching the players and trying to let them grow when he came back. MJ's last two years at 39 and 40 were career type years for many guys who have been former All Stars in the past. Many guys would kill to put up 23 points, 5 assists, and 6 boards for a year! Or hell even 20 points, 4 dimes, and 6 boards like he did his final year. And MJ still played very good D on top of it.