Default Re: Average IQ of NBA players?

Quote Originally Posted by DixieNourmous
    Pre Bron = 104
    Now = 51

Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Quote Originally Posted by Laimbeer_Rodman
    IQ and education are two different things
    Actually they're pretty linked, considering IQ is a test of KNOWLEDGE and highly educated individuals tend to be pretty KNOWLEDGEABLE.

Did you mean intellect?

   

Quote Originally Posted by 824
    Actually they're pretty linked, considering IQ is a test of KNOWLEDGE and highly educated individuals tend to be pretty KNOWLEDGEABLE.
    an IQ test is much more than just a test of knowledge. WP it...

Did you mean intellect?
    An IQ test is not a test of knowledge. It is a test of critical thinking abilities.

Black people score the lowest in IQ. So I would have to say the average IQ of the league would be consistent with the racial makeup of the league, which would be below average.

http://alfin2100.blogspot.com/2007/1...xcitement.html

NBA Superstar

i think if you asked the NBA what the square root of 9 is 95% of them wouldn't know.

Good High School Starter

I gurantee LeBron's is below average. No one in their right mind will continuously say and do the dumb $hit he does.

Decent playground baller Laimbeer_Rodman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Godzuki
    i think if you asked the NBA what the square root of 9 is 95% of them wouldn't know.
    If A.Einstein had wasted his youth on the court and with the chicks he wouldn't know it either.
    Actually they're pretty linked, considering IQ is a test of KNOWLEDGE and highly educated individuals tend to be pretty KNOWLEDGEABLE
    No it's not
    http://www.iqtest.com/whatisaniqscore.html
    Last edited by Laimbeer_Rodman; 07-20-2011 at 10:59 AM.

IQ is a measure of how quickly you learn.

There are no perfectly accurate tests for this.

By definition the average IQ for any group is 100 when only comparing individuals within that group.

Local High School Star Inactive's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rolando
    IQ is a measure of how quickly you learn.
    No, it's not.

Very good NBA starter Orlando Magic's Avatar

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelligence_quotient

Read and learn, f[COLOR="Black"]agg[/COLOR]ots.

Quote Originally Posted by Laimbeer_Rodman
    IQ and education are two different things
    This. Some people don't realize that IQ is something that a person is born with, and has nothing to do with school grades. A person with a low IQ can still get high grades in school simply by spending more time memorizing the work. Memorization does not = IQ. A moron who has an easier time sitting down for hours on end, and have not much worry in the world can easily get higher grades than a bright an active person who has too much on his head, and has trouble focusing completely for hours on stuff that they're being forced to learn. Remember, real IQ tests are not math problems on an internet IQ tests. They're very involved an require a professional to give it to you.

And I'm very familiar with the intelligence level of people with a 100 IQ and I just don't think they would be smart enough to make it to the NBA.

A person with a not so high IQ would judge the intelligence level of others based on their accent, and the way they speak, rather than their ability to solve problems and come up with a solution, etc. And when thousands of people are competing with you to make it to the NBA, intelligence makes all the difference in the world.

There are exceptions, like for players who are really big and tall, centers, in general you don't have to be the brightest most skilled, since they aren't that many people in the world that have those qualities.

Did you mean intellect?
    IQ tests test problem solving, and other involved things. Knowledge things you memorized in school have little to do with it, except for some general knowledge to see how aware you of your environment, if you picked up things that generally you should know.
    Last edited by jstern; 07-20-2011 at 11:21 AM.

Learning to shoot layups

As a very GENERAL rule, people with high IQ also tend to be better educated.

Not because its a test of knowledge, but because people with higher IQ tend to value education more and do better in school.

But thats a very broad generalization.

   

Quote Originally Posted by jstern
    And I'm very familiar with the intelligence level of people with a 100 IQ and I just don't think they would be smart enough to make it to the NBA.
    excuse, please... what?

IQ tests test problem solving, and other involved things. Knowledge things you memorized in school have little to do with it, except for some general knowledge to see how aware you of your environment, if you picked up things that generally you should know.
    when i took a wechsler II test 10 years ago i was also queried on some eclectic facts. one i remember because i got it wrong was "what is the speed of light?" i answered 186,000 miles per hour, when it should have been "per second."

so, yea... standard IQ tests DO have a knowledge component, and some of the knowledge is a little obscure to most people. for example, higher-level vocabulary. if you don't know the word, your chances will suffer at the verbal area... even though that's not strictly a test of knowledge.

High School Starter mentallooser's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Peteballa
    Over 9000
    Dudes have crazy Power Levels. Easily better than Nappa. I don't think Nappa would even beat the Yamchas of today's basketball.

Higher than the average IQ of NFL players.