Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678

Default Re: Could Michael Jordan score 40 ppg in this era?

@ thinking prime Jordan couldn't average 36-37 ppg on 47-49% shooting around the '06 season. Give him that same Bulls team where he had to do it all by himself and I guarantee he's averaging close to 40 a game. Hell, he averaged 37+ a game back in the late 80's; I'm sure he could replicate that if he played in the '06 season.

Local High School Star Inactive's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rnbizzle
    @ Old guys defending their era..

Todays defenses are so much better, get over it.
    @ young guys thinking they have a more accurate perspective, when comparing eras, than people who actually lived through them.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Inactive
    @ young guys thinking they have a more accurate perspective, when comparing eras, than people who actually lived through them.
    how does it go again..

men lie.. women lie.. numbers dont.

Shutting down your thread with knowledge and intelligence DJ Leon Smith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rnbizzle
    how does it go again..

men lie.. women lie.. numbers dont.
    John Hollinger is that you?

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by bingo123
    I dont exactly know what your point is but i will reply to your post (to many facts are wrong).In that 37 ppg MJ had 27.8fga. MJ career avarage was 23.3 fga (not including Wizards days) , James is at 20.6 fga and Wade is at 18.4 fga. Margin of 2.7 and 4.9 is not that small. At their fg% that gives Lebron around 3 ppg and Wade around 5 ppg more for their avarages. People are making big story out of fta. Jorand avg 8.7 (not including Wizards), Lebron is 8.9 and Wade is 9.1. Are you guys serious when you say things like "Jordan would avarage 15 fta!"? We are not comparing Jordan to some slow, unathletic,... guys. These are all world class athletes and they are players that their game is petty much based on slashing (Bryant being exeption here). In todays game i think Jordan would avg 10-11 fga. You are wrong with minutes played as well Lebron 40.1 mpg, Jordan 38.6, Wade 37.6 (again i dont know why you brought that up). And i cant agree that MJ attacked the paint more than Lebron. Cavs Lebron was all about getting to the rim. One more time, Jordan was/is smart enough not to avarage more than 22-23fga (like it or not, pace is slower today).

Again MJ is GOAT, not GOD. He would be the best player if he played today, but not as clear as some people claim. People really need to take their nostalgic glasses off.
    That Jordan FGA average is also including the championship years where he had much better teams. When people are saying he could average 35+, they are assuming its on a team where he'd have to take a larger like the 80s Bulls or the 06-07 Lakers. If Kobe can manage to take 27 FGA per game, I don't see why Jordan couldn't do the same.

And by the way, Dwyane Wade in 06, 07, and 09 (his 3 best years where he took on a larger load), he averaged 9.8-10.7 FTA per game. Lebron from 06-10 was taking 9-10.3 FTA per game. Allen Iverson took 11.5 FTA per game in 2006. Kobe, primarily a jumpshooter, was taking 10-10.2 FTA from 05-07. Gilbert Arenas, primarily a jumpshooter, was taking 10 FTA per game in 06-07. You using career averages is stupid cause thats taking years where they weren't in there prime or in better team situations. Kobe and Gil were mostly jumpshooters, and although Wade and Lebron were great slashers as well, they were much more passive then Jordan was. I'd say Jordan is at least getting AI's FTA per game, which means a lower end of 11.5 and I'd say it could go as high as 12.5 per game. So lets say he shoots 80% on 12 FTA per game, 50% on 27 FGA per game, and makes 1.5 threes per game, then something like 38 ppg isn't out of the question.

Good High School Starter

Quote Originally Posted by BEAST Griffin
    It's easier than ever for perimeter players to penetrate. And that's something Michael Jordan excelled at. With these soft no touch rules he'd probably average 10+ ft's per game and penetrate at will.

40 ppg is realistic.
    Yeah it's easy as hell to penetrate against a zone defense.

MJ averaging 40 ppg is realistic The myth of MJ lives on! I bet he can average 25/5/5 with just his left hand too right?

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Rivers
    Wade is just as an explosive scorer as MJ ever was
    This is exactly the kind of quote you would expect from someone who never watched prime MJ, utterly ignorant.

40? if his outside shot is good possibly. but blowing past people for dunks is in the past. MJ evidently has worse problems than driving to the hole.....

http://www.LimpButtMonkeysMJordan.com
    Last edited by DixieNourmous; 07-20-2011 at 12:53 PM.