Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-14-2019, 09:45 PM   #1
highwhey

Default Tony Soprano's character was an underrated comedy genius

he lowkey roasted everyone, including his crew and children non stop 24/7.

perfect example, was rewatching season 2, there's a scene where anthony jr drops a plate full of food in the kitchen and Tony and Carmela are arguing over Tony needing to get a vasectomy. Tony flips when his kid drops the plate and asks "wth are you doing, you just ate 2 hours ago." looks at carmela and tells her, "you're telling me i need to get a vasectomy when he's my heir?" *camera pans to chubby teenager*

highwhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 09:50 PM   #2
Smoke117
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Default Re: Tony Soprano's character was an underrated comedy genius

"I wonder what's French Canadian for 'I grew up without a mother'"

I'd actually been re-watching it the last couple of weeks as it was being replayed on hbo and got me interested again. I rewatched season 3, 4, and 5 on on demand.

Last edited by Smoke117 : 01-14-2019 at 09:56 PM.
Smoke117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 09:55 PM   #3
highwhey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke117
"I wonder what's French Canadian for 'I grew up without a mother'"

I'd actually been re-watching it the last couple weeks of weeks as it was being replayed on hbo and got me interested again. I rewatched season 3, 4, and 5 on on demand.
ruthless
Old 01-15-2019, 12:29 AM   #4
Terahite
Free Nick Young

what's more ruthless is this is the only good thread op has ever made
Terahite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 12:55 AM   #5
warriorfan
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Iíve been rewatching season one over the past few weeks here and there. Itís great.
warriorfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 12:57 AM   #6
diamenz
Decent college freshman

all i remember is the clueless look on uncle jun's face as he trotted away after capping tony.
diamenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 04:30 PM   #7
Thorpesaurous
NBA sixth man of the year

I have also been catching it since HBO ran the whole series a few weeks ago. I re-watched it years ago on DVD and found it even better on rewatch than when it happened. I thought all the shock value being lost would kill its rewatchability, but it was actually sort of the opposite. Because I wasn't concerned about loose ends being tied up, I was able to enjoy more of the side stuff that I think I didn't like at the time because it wasn't what I wanted to see get done when it was new week to week.

And in rewatching recently, the show really is a dark comedy. Pretty much everyone involved is an idiot, which lends itself to dark comedy. The feds, the whole gang is really just varying degrees of stupid. And Tony is hysterical when he starts talking about things beyond his grasp.

I found myself laughing at Artie Bucco pretty much every time he was on screen.

The show definitely has aged. The change in cell phone tech has affected it. The clothes. But I think the biggest one for me were the cars. Tony's big maroon Chevy Suburban was a symbol of excess at the time. A huge expensive car. And now it just looks old.

All the AJ stuff still sucks.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 04:51 PM   #8
highwhey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
I have also been catching it since HBO ran the whole series a few weeks ago. I re-watched it years ago on DVD and found it even better on rewatch than when it happened. I thought all the shock value being lost would kill its rewatchability, but it was actually sort of the opposite. Because I wasn't concerned about loose ends being tied up, I was able to enjoy more of the side stuff that I think I didn't like at the time because it wasn't what I wanted to see get done when it was new week to week.

And in rewatching recently, the show really is a dark comedy. Pretty much everyone involved is an idiot, which lends itself to dark comedy. The feds, the whole gang is really just varying degrees of stupid. And Tony is hysterical when he starts talking about things beyond his grasp.

I found myself laughing at Artie Bucco pretty much every time he was on screen.

The show definitely has aged. The change in cell phone tech has affected it. The clothes. But I think the biggest one for me were the cars. Tony's big maroon Chevy Suburban was a symbol of excess at the time. A huge expensive car. And now it just looks old.

All the AJ stuff still sucks.

exactly. agreed on all points. Tony started a lot of his own problems too. he was pretty toxic aside from being a mob boss, he'd start sh1t with Janice or anyone really just for the heck of it, instead of talking through his problems, he'd anger people to the point of making them meltdown.

Tony would fit in perfectly on this forum with his toxic personality.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:30 PM   #9
Thorpesaurous
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwhey
exactly. agreed on all points. Tony started a lot of his own problems too. he was pretty toxic aside from being a mob boss, he'd start sh1t with Janice or anyone really just for the heck of it, instead of talking through his problems, he'd anger people to the point of making them meltdown.

Tony would fit in perfectly on this forum with his toxic personality.

There was a great sequence I caught a couple weeks ago, where Artie was in trouble because he borrowed some money to invest in Armagnac, and the investment went belly up. He nearly kills himself. Tony goes to visit him, and Artie convinces himself that Tony is so innately predatorial, so instinctual, that even though he warned him, he just couldn't help himself from lending him the money, because he saw it coming from so far away. That was funny enough, but what was even funnier, was Tony then explaining it to Melfi, and presenting it almost as a compliment, even though he obviously had no idea what he was doing when he loaned Artie the money, but not that it's in Tony's head, he believes it himself, and sees it as some great gift. Cracked me up.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 05:40 PM   #10
Ben Simmons 25
Decent college freshman

The Sopranos is the best show in the history of television, completely full of not so in your face symbolism and very subtle storytelling.

Intellectually, it is far beyond what the average consumer will ever derive from it on a surface level viewing.
Ben Simmons 25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 05:50 PM   #11
highwhey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
There was a great sequence I caught a couple weeks ago, where Artie was in trouble because he borrowed some money to invest in Armagnac, and the investment went belly up. He nearly kills himself. Tony goes to visit him, and Artie convinces himself that Tony is so innately predatorial, so instinctual, that even though he warned him, he just couldn't help himself from lending him the money, because he saw it coming from so far away. That was funny enough, but what was even funnier, was Tony then explaining it to Melfi, and presenting it almost as a compliment, even though he obviously had no idea what he was doing when he loaned Artie the money, but not that it's in Tony's head, he believes it himself, and sees it as some great gift. Cracked me up.

speaking about incompetence, pvssy convincing himself he's an fbi agent with the tape recorder and all the lingo was hilarious bc he was killing people right and left
Old 01-15-2019, 07:18 PM   #12
JohnnySic
I Insist

"He killed 16 Czechoslavakians. The guy was an interior decorator"
JohnnySic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 10:33 PM   #13
dude77
Very good NBA starter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSUF...ature=youtu.be
dude77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 10:50 PM   #14
TheMan
Repping mis Mexicanas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnySic
"He killed 16 Czechoslavakians. The guy was an interior decorator"

One of my absolute favorite episodes.

Paulie: You didn't go to hell. You went to purgatory, my friend.
Christopher: I forgot about purgatory.
Paulie: Purgatory--a little detour on the way to paradise.
Christopher: How long do you think we've got to stay there?
Paulie: That's different for everybody. You add up all your mortal sins and multiply that number by 50. Then you add up all your venial sins and multiply that by 25. You add that together and that's your sentence. I figure I'm gonna have to do 6,000 years before I get accepted into heaven and 6,000 years is nothin' in eternity terms. I can do that standing on my head. It's like a couple of days here.
TheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 11:10 PM   #15
webberz0044
I don't get picked last at the park anymore

"Under the boardwalk with a schlong in Jan's mouth"

"There are men in the can better looking than my sister."
webberz0044 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: