Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Default The Most Awkward Sh*t Ever [From USA vs. NZ]

Banned

Default Re: The Most Awkward Sh*t Ever [From USA vs. NZ]

Quote Originally Posted by Smook A.
    They do that shit for rugby....lol didnt know they would do that shit on the basketball court though....lmao

They do that all the time before a rugby union game. I've never seen them do it before a bball game though

Also lol at harden & faried's faces
    Last edited by Warfan; 09-02-2014 at 07:21 PM.

That's not really that awkward, it's a cultural/traditional/ritual thing. It's probably important to them. Objectively speaking, looking from the outside in, how is it any more awkward than say, Americans having some kid sing the Star Spangled Banner before NBA games while everyone stands in silence? Rituals are only awkward if you don't understand them.

...and then the U.S. proceeds to beat New Zealand by 27 points.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    That's not really that awkward, it's a cultural/traditional/ritual thing. It's probably important to them. Objectively speaking, looking from the outside in, how is it any more awkward than say, Americans having some kid sing the Star Spangled Banner before NBA games while everyone stands in silence? Rituals are only awkward if you don't understand them.
    First of all, it is a pretty physically imposing ritual, unlike the Star Spangled Banner. If you didn't know anything about their culture, it would look like they're about to attack your @ss with some coconuts or some sh!t.

Secondly, the fact that everyone in the arena knew they had no chance -- including the guys doing the chanting and the guys being chanted at -- made it a bit more awkward than it otherwise would have been.

Faried's face was pretty priceless.

LOL

[COLOR="White"]-smak[/COLOR]

Works a bit better for football.

HAKA - The Trojan Style

Quote Originally Posted by 20Four
    They do that shit for rugby....lol didnt know they would do that shit on the basketball court though....lmao
    They do that all the time before a rugby union game. I've never seen them do it before a bball game though

Also lol at harden & faried's faces
    Never knew that. I guess I learned something new today

Yeah I had no idea it was a ritual thing, that's why it felt awkward I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Smook A.
    Yeah I had no idea it was a ritual thing, that's why it felt awkward I guess.
    No, you felt awkward because it was awkward as hell.

LMAO @ Attack you with some coconuts n shit, but that was pretty cool. Do my best to not be ignorant of other peoples cultures.

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    No, you felt awkward because it was awkward as hell.
    Yeah I can't deny that

Also, you think any of the USA guys knew it was a ritual? The looks on their faces were priceless.

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    First of all, it is a pretty physically imposing ritual, unlike the Star Spangled Banner. If you didn't know anything about their culture, it would look like they're about to attack your @ss with some coconuts or some sh!t.

Secondly, the fact that everyone in the arena knew they had no chance -- including the guys doing the chanting and the guys being chanted at -- made it a bit more awkward than it otherwise would have been.

Faried's face was pretty priceless.
    I've seen enough aboriginal and pacific islanders, including Hawaiians doing similar tribal dances for various events to have not felt that was any more awkward than any other useless ritual though... western civilization or otherwise. All rituals looking from an outsiders point of view in look strange and useless, and/or can come off as backwards or possibly even rude to someone who is not accustomed to it. I understand why you guys think it's weird... but depending on where you stand it isn't any more weird than any other rituals we ourselves do.

Love the comment section. New Zealander cvnts acting like everyone should know what this is.

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    I've seen enough aboriginal and pacific islanders, including Hawaiians doing similar tribal dances for various events to have not felt that was any more awkward than any other useless ritual though... western civilization or otherwise. All rituals looking from an outsiders point of view in look strange and useless, and/or can come off as backwards or possibly even rude to someone who is not accustomed to it. I understand why you guys think it's weird... but depending on where you stand it isn't any more weird than any other rituals we ourselves do.
    I'm not even saying I think it's weird. I've actually seen it a few times before at various sporting events. But, there is an aggressive quality to it that is undeniable. And, in this case where the US can basically name the score, going through this very aggressive chant at the beginning of the game creates an awkwardness.

It's the contrast between the image that New Zealand's team was portraying during the chant and what we all knew was going to happen... that's why it felt strange for me.