Default Carmelo Anthony free agency

Despite efforts by New York Knicks president Phil Jackson to persuade him to remain under contract, forward Carmelo Anthony hasn't changed his mind and plans to opt out of his contract and test free agency this summer, according to a league source familiar with the situation.

Sources told ESPN.com earlier this week that Jackson is continuing to urge Anthony to exercise next season's $23.3 million player option and put off unrestricted free agency for one more year. Anthony, according to sources, has until June 23 to inform the Knicks whether he plans to opt out.

-- ESPN NY
    Last edited by insidehoops; 06-23-2014 at 09:46 AM.

Default Re: Will Knicks lose Melo in free agency?

Wouldn't his cap hold coming after next season be larger than his 15/16 salary?

Carmelo isn't signing as a free agent with another team. He wants some attention and love right now though.

Not going to Miami because there's no way bosh or wade give money up on their last big deals or risk getting cut out for Carmelo.

Not going to Chicago because they're too cheap to pay to try to win it all.

Not going to Houston or Dallas after seeing what they'd lose to get him.

This is a big pr show. Those acting like he's gone already are fools. It's still over 75% chance he's a knock next season

Krust Kingz

If he decides to take less money to go win somewhere else then its fine with me. He already showed money was more important than winning last time when he could have taken the same deal as LBJ before. If he is happy with the money he's made and wants to win somewhere else more power to him.

I dont think the Knicks are really invested one way or the other. The smart thing to me is for him to ride this year out and become a FA next year then make a great decision with the rest of the elite class of 2015.

Knicks Board Moderator knickscity's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rameek
    If he decides to take less money to go win somewhere else then its fine with me. He already showed money was more important than winning last time when he could have taken the same deal as LBJ before. If he is happy with the money he's made and wants to win somewhere else more power to him.

I dont think the Knicks are really invested one way or the other. The smart thing to me is for him to ride this year out and become a FA next year then make a great decision with the rest of the elite class of 2015.
    very true. and those teams he might be interested in would have cap space then and wont have to make major moves to acquire him.

Chi without Boozer on the books is cap space, as is Houston without Asik and Lin on the books.

but melo knows whats best for himself apparently.

Krust Kingz

It could be a little too late for the Knicks to convince him that the past few years of ineptitude and constant FO changes is really a thing of the past.

Krust Kingz

Does anyone smell a sign and trade for Anthony that includes multiple picks this year and future picks? If he opts out?

I think its going to be a western conference team too. I dont think he's going to allow Melo to stay in the East unless he gets a rape deal.
    Last edited by Rameek; 06-16-2014 at 01:08 AM.

Krust Kingz

Default Re: Carmelo Anthony free agency

Monday is the deadline for Anthony to make this move, and it was hardly a secret that it was his plan all along to forgo the remaining $23.3 million left on his deal.

The Knicks can pay Anthony more money than another team -- roughly $129 million over five years. But the perennial All-Star has said he would be willing to take less if it helps give his team a better chance to contend.

-- NY Newsday

The move certainly doesn't mean James will leave the Heat. The 29-year-old just has more options and leverage. One option is to re-sign for the max. Another is to take an even greater pay cut, along with prospective free agents Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh, in order to bring in a fourth star, such as Carmelo Anthony.

Anthony opted out of his deal with the Knicks on Monday.

-- NY Daily News

Krust Kingz