Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    NBA lottery pick

Default Curry, Brady, and Gretzky

SportsCenter
    @SportsCenter

Steph Curry joins Tom Brady & Wayne Gretzky as the only unanimous MVPs in their respective leagues.

I usually hit open layups

Default Re: Curry, Brady, and Gretzky

Unanimous MVPs seem to be rare in those sports.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Gretzky's season >

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastic
    Gretzky's season >

Gretsky's got records that won't break in our life time. That man is MJ to hockey.

I look at his highlights and he was so ahead of his time with stick handling, moves, and leading an offense on ice.

Quote Originally Posted by PP34Deuce
    Gretsky's got records that won't break in our life time. That man is MJ to hockey.

I look at his highlights and he was so ahead of his time with stick handling, moves, and leading an offense on ice.

MJ's records have been broken left and right.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastic
    Gretzky's season >
    Yeah, his 3rd season in the league and he was 20-21 years old. 92 goals and 120 assists, 212 points. Unbelievable. That was his 2nd best season for points to.

For Comparison:

Patrick Kane led the league with 106 points this year.

Alexander Ovechkin led with 50 goals.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by riseagainst
    MJ's records have been broken left and right.

By MJ, I mean people look at every new good ISO scorer and compare them to Gretsky. He was doing stick moves, fakes, that players today can't even do as fundamentally sound. Patrick Kane is like the closest thing to Gretsky and he's far from it.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by Velocirap31
    Yeah, his 3rd season in the league and he was 20-21 years old. 92 goals and 120 assists, 212 points. Unbelievable. That was his 2nd best season for points to.

For Comparison:

Kane is the closest to Gretsky we have seen. While defenses are bigger, I still got Gretsky in overall stick control and ability to just make a play when you need it. Kane is like Kobe (rape accusation aside)

NBA lottery pick

Same thing could be said about Curry's 402 made 3s.

Whos breaking Curry's 402 threes? (besides Curry?)

Serious playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by fiddy
    Nobody soon.

Very good NBA starter DukeDelonte13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fiddy

Gretzky has more assists than any other NHL player has points total (goals plus assists).

It's insane.

Steph has nowhere near the level of achievement that Gretzky had in the NHL.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDelonte13
    Gretzky has more assists than any other NHL player has points total (goals plus assists).

It's insane.

Steph has nowhere near the level of achievement that Gretzky had in the NHL.

I can see someone breaking Curry's record with a great shooter on a bad team that just chucks. Will it measure the same impact? maybe not, but with how often I'm seeing guys like JR smith scoring 7-8 3 pointers, I believe that record can be broken.

Quote Originally Posted by Velocirap31

For Comparison:

I love Gretzky, he was a wizard and deserves all the praise he gets

but it was far easier to score goals back then. Just like it's easier to drive to the hoop in today's game versus when they're was hand checks.

Also, the goalies weren't nearly as good back then technique wise then and their gear was substantially smaller.

Now, you can correctly say that hockey players are much more skilled as a whole now and technology and training has made for harder shots but scores were higher back in the 80s as a mean.

Gretzky was the most dominant player in any team sport ever but comparing numbers to today's guys does not show that he was that much better as the stats suggest.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by ROCSteady
    I love Gretzky, he was a wizard and deserves all the praise he gets

but it was far easier to score goals back then. Just like it's easier to drive to the hoop in today's game versus when they're was hand checks.

Also, the goalies weren't nearly as good back then technique wise then and their gear was substantially smaller.

Now, you can correctly say that hockey players are much more skilled as a whole now and technology and training has made for harder shots but scores were higher back in the 80s as a mean.

Gretzky was the most dominant player in any team sport ever but comparing numbers to today's guys does not show that he was that much better as the stats suggest.
    you have a point. Defenses are bigger now and cover more ground. I still say when you look at Gretsky his ability to do fakes, control the puck, and switch gears still would have him looking HOF caliber.

I still think while Kane, Wheeler, and Benn are amazing scorers...Gretsky had a magic johnson flair or getting the puck to the right guys at the right time while still scoring high in volume.