Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Love Live Life

Default Let's talk about Roy Hibbert for a sec...

I really like him and he has improved a lot since college but dude is getting away with a lot of fouls near the basket.

Are the refs not gonna call a foul when he bodies people at the rim or are they just waiting for the playoffs to start calling it???

It's still a foul even though you're jumping straight up into the guy. The offensive player is already in the air also.

Again I really like Hibbert and the Pacers. I'm actually rooting for them since my Suns won't make the playoffs.

Why are the refs not calling this a foul?

Roy Hibbert Super Star InspiredLebowski's Avatar

Default Re: Let's talk about Roy Hibbert for a sec...

Jumping straight up is not a foul, he's just as entitled to that space as the offensive player.

But yes, he's getting away with a lot of contact, he's not jumping straight up every single time. Watch the differences in the way they call it when Mahinmi's in for him, it's night and day, so much so that it almost feels like they're calling fouls on Mahinmi just because they feel like the Pacers deserve some. The entire team's getting away with a lot of physical play objectively. I'm not about to complain or anything, but it's definitely surprising.

This always happens. It's not really new. We're just conditioned to block out the blatant favouritism certain players get.

He got away with a lot against the Knicks in the playoffs last season as well.

Quote Originally Posted by aj1987
    He got away with a lot against the Knicks in the playoffs last season as well.
    Thanks for noticing. It felt like he was a wall, and the Knicks could not get through him

Love Live Life

Quote Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
    Jumping straight up is not a foul, he's just as entitled to that space as the offensive player.

But yes, he's getting away with a lot of contact, he's not jumping straight up every single time. Watch the differences in the way they call it when Mahinmi's in for him, it's night and day, so much so that it almost feels like they're calling fouls on Mahinmi just because they feel like the Pacers deserve some. The entire team's getting away with a lot of physical play objectively. I'm not about to complain or anything, but it's definitely surprising.
    Like you said it's a lot of contact and that sucks that the refs are basically giving Mahinmi his fouls.

I know it frustrates Mahinmi.

I just hope come playoff time they let the Pacers play physical like they are now cause like I said I'm backing them this year and it would change their whole style of play if the refs call ticky tack fouls in the playoffs.

Local High School Star

If only he could assert himself offensively.
    Just can't understand how he looked like The Dream against the Heat in the playoffs and have games where he scores like 3 points on 4 attempts.

Serious playground baller crunk-juice's Avatar

boohoo, the league is soft.

boohoo, Hibbert doesn't get penalized for being physical.

Quote Originally Posted by TheReal Kendall
    Like you said it's a lot of contact and that sucks that the refs are basically giving Mahinmi his fouls.

I just hope come playoff time they let the Pacers play physical like they are now cause like I said I'm backing them this year and it would change their whole style of play if the refs call ticky tack fouls in the playoffs.
    Pacers were allowed to be physical as hell against the Knicks. Didn't watch much of their series with the Heat... but I'm assuming not as much due to the fact that the Heat have 2 stars.

Local High School Star

It Hilarious watching Mahinmi try to use the hibbert " Verticality" and get called for fouls. Refs refused to call any fouls on that ph@ggot last year playoffs, up until game 7 against the heat.

Love Live Life

Quote Originally Posted by Brook(lyn)Lopez
    If only he could assert himself offensively.
    Just can't understand how he looked like The Dream against the Heat in the playoffs and have games where he scores like 3 points on 4 attempts.
    Heat doesn't the Bigs to contain Hibbert.

I would like to see him break out offensively too though.

I guess big men nowadays can only have one of the other. Ether they're great defensively and they suck offensively or they're great offensively and suck defensively. Or they just suck on both ends

No one seemed to have a problem with Mutombo putting up 11-14 ppg the vast majority of his career, I'm not saying Roy's Mutombo just yet, but he's on that sort of trajectory. yeah, 20/12 would be nice, but keep shutting down the rim and I don't give a shit about how many points you score. he's got 11ppg on 48% so far, that's enough to make teams have to at least pay attention to him, that's all I ask.

I really like him and he has improved a lot since college but dude is getting away with a lot of fouls near the basket.

Are the refs not gonna call a foul when he bodies people at the rim or are they just waiting for the playoffs to start calling it???

It's still a foul even though you're jumping straight up into the guy. The offensive player is already in the air also.

Again I really like Hibbert and the Pacers. I'm actually rooting for them since my Suns won't make the playoffs.

Why are the refs not calling this a foul?
    Simple reason.
    The League is trying to make Roy Hibbert a star,
    like how they used to not call the verticality and let Asik on the Bulls get away with things,like how Harden gets the benefit of the doubt every time,like how George is treated like a Superstar.

It's extremely off that somehow a center avg 12,8 on 45% with nearly 5 fouls a game in the regular season turns to a dominant defensive and offensive force who rarely fouls in the playoffs.

Its like he turned Dikembe Mutombo in the playoffs and not changing one thing about his play.

The refs let Chicago,Indiana play way way more physical than the rest of the league.Memphis is right there behind them.

Due to the way coaches talked about their team to the refs and the way thy play and all,and how Chi is big market and IND is middle-class,blue collar,"Underdog",feel good story
    They let them play hard.

What would be called a foul on literally any other team Chi and Ind is just considered hard,physical play.

If you watched the Bulls-Heat games last year,particualry the game where Chi broke Mias 27 game streak,youd see just how much differently Chi is reffed and what they can get away with compared to Miami.

The league is trying to turn PG and RH into STARS,and PG into a SUPERSTAR
    so things have to come into play.
    Somehow Roy Hibbert went from Dikembe in playoffs back to his usual self
    and then certain games all of a sudden Mutombo arises,like WTF??

When the league has a purpose they do their best to institute it,
    see SAC-LA,PHO-LA,Rise of DRose,Harden being "a star" getting 10-20 fta,
    Durant being UNTOUCHABLE,Cle draft,Chi DRose draft,Orl draft,NYK draft,
    ref treatment towards Lakers during playoff hunt and before like night and day,

during LAL playoff hunt Harden went from superstar treatment fta to 4-5 per game,Dallas,Min got robbed,
    the league had to apologize to Tor 4 times.

WHAT THE LEAGUE WANTS,THE LEAGUE GETS Unless the Teams can combat it like Miami in last year's playoffs(LOWEST FTA IN HISTORY).

Quote Originally Posted by Flash31
    I'm 13 and became a Heat fan 3 years ago
    ftfy

Vogel and the announcers hyped up that "straight up" BS last year and now the refs are just letting him do whatever he wants, even if he almost never goes really straight up.

They are trying to make the Pacers better than they are.