Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Why the lack of respect for old school basketball superstars?

Quote Originally Posted by 305Baller
    Hank Luisetti? Really?

ok

That sums it up, really.

The Associated Press voted Hank Luisetti as the second best player of the first 50 years of the 20th century, losing out to only George Mikan.

Luisetti was one of the pioneers of the jump shot, running one-hander (basically the tear-drop; think Tony Parker) and behind-the-back dribble.

But hey, who cares, right?

Quote Originally Posted by PTB Fan
    Not enough footage of their brilliance which is why they aren't as appreciated as much as they should be
    5 step process to successfully presenting vintage NBA players in a manner that can actually gain the respect of younger NBA fans.

Step 1. Consolidate the MASSIVE amounts of (completely disorganized) vintage NBA clips, games and documentaries that contain your player of choice.

Step 2. CORRECT ALL OF THE SLOW MOTION

Step 3. Correct the color and contrast, nobody wants to watch gloomy medieval looking footage. The older it looks the quicker it will be written off.

Step 4. (very important) Hell or high water try in some way to get it through to the viewers that those vintage players are NOT UNDERSIZED. These clownish modern list-heights have poisoned all vintage player reputations with as much toxicity as any old slow-motion footage highlight reel has. I like to use annotations, and the description box to identify players and their size with something like "as tall as Dwight Howard" or something along those lines. Anyone who comments with misinformation about how "small" the players were I correct them, and if they troll and spam ignorance then I just say f*ck em and delete their comments so they don't taint history for everyone else.

Step 5. Unlike highlights of modern players that people are familiar with you ABSOLUTELY MUST set aside time in any highlight video to reveal glimpses of the talent of the competition, because highlights of one player dominating unfamiliar players makes everyone jump to the conclusion that everyone else must be written off as "weak" and the highlighted player must simply be "ahead of his time"

Unfortunately combining all these elements into one highlight real is difficult and time consuming. Right now I'm (still) combing through my archive of footage of Wilt in his LA years - I'm probably about half way through it, if that. Then I'll be adding as much of the "exciting" commentator audio as I can. All of this stuff is the key to a proper highlight video that will make people go "damn... that guy can ball".

Next up after Wilt in LA, prob gonna be the Baylor and West duo. Or Oscar Robertson - 3 (of many) guys who also need their due in a legitimate highlight reel.

btw here's some more LA footage of Wilt this is by no means a complete video, and it is not publicly available on youtube it is just me checking my progress of certain scenes I color corrected and what not:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVDzzxVE34k
    Last edited by CavaliersFTW; 04-13-2012 at 10:02 PM.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LABean
    It's basically Jordan's fault.
    His stans flood everything with him, that other players get overshadowed.
    Sounds like hate, but it's the truth.

Good thread, OP.
    Shut the **** up. You're the biggest Kobe stan here this side of alphawolf. You are both clowns. Half the time you blabber on like a god damn retard.

You actually upped the velocity here. Tha's not real speed. You took the slomo out in favor of quickening te frames.

Quote Originally Posted by Punpun
    You actually upped the velocity here. Tha's not real speed. You took the slomo out in favor of quickening te frames.
    - no i did not - I used youtube's new clip edit tool to save time and cut off too much blank screen in the beginning instead of re-uploading it and now the shit got f*cked up and looks sped up as **** - honestly I didn't render it like that, youtube's tools are crap. I'll just re-upload it. It looked fine before I used youtube's edit tool

Banned

Because the eras before the association became 80+% black featured mostly "short, unathletic, white guys." Sure you had the odd anamoly here and there like the Wilt Chamberlains and George Mikans but a good high school squad would probably whip them pretty good.

I don't have the statistics in front of me, but I assume any era after the late 70's-Early 80's (when the league got much darker, faster and athletic) is no joke and could keep up with current teams.

What I'm getting at is, there is definetely an argument to be made that 50's and early 60's basketball had a lot of cans with only a few legit players who could be NBA players today sprinkled in. But the teams of the late 70's, 80's and 90's were just as fast and athletic as the players today.

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    - no i did not - I used youtube's new clip edit tool to save time and cut off too much blank screen in the beginning instead of re-uploading it and now the shit got f*cked up and looks sped up as **** - honestly I didn't render it like that, youtube's tools are crap. I'll just re-upload it. It looked fine before I used youtube's edit tool
    Oh.. well good luck to you. Impressive work you are doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Brick Rick
    Because the eras before the association became 80+% black featured mostly "short, unathletic, white guys." Sure you had the odd anamoly here and there like the Wilt Chamberlains and George Mikans but a good high school squad would probably whip them pretty good.

I don't have the statistics in front of me, but I assume any era after the late 70's-Early 80's (when the league got much darker, faster and athletic) is no joke and could keep up with current teams.

What I'm getting at is, there is definetely an argument to be made that 50's and early 60's basketball had a lot of cans with only a few legit players who could be NBA players today sprinkled in. But the teams of the late 70's, 80's and 90's were just as fast and athletic as the players today.

Here's some statistics for you:

1965-66:
    47 of 99 total NBA players were black.
    31 of 45 total NBA starters were black.
    14 of 20 total NBA all stars were black.

2011-12:
    1 in every 5 IH posters continue to prove that they are legitimately ignorant and racist.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke117
    Shut the **** up. You're the biggest Kobe stan here this side of alphawolf. You are both clowns. Half the time you blabber on like a god damn retard.
    You're pathetic.

Tell me where I'm wrong?

College superstar The Iron Fist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WillC
    That sums it up, really.

The Associated Press voted Hank Luisetti as the second best player of the first 50 years of the 20th century, losing out to only George Mikan.

Luisetti was one of the pioneers of the jump shot, running one-hander (basically the tear-drop; think Tony Parker) and behind-the-back dribble.

But hey, who cares, right?
    Lies. Tha credit goes to Jordan.

You're pathetic.

Tell me where I'm wrong?
    I actually agree with you but it isn't entirely MJ's fault, the league was pushing his hype but also Bird's and Magics just prior because the NBA had just transitioned from mere "spectator sport" to a monstrous mass media machine making profit off promotion, broadcasts, home video, shoe companies and other endorsements etc etc. It just exploded in popularity and everything before this mass media age was suddenly part of the NBA's dark ages, where such media perks and easily accessible highlight reels simply did not exist even though the game and athletes were just as competitive in every way shape and form. Heck, look at Kareem in the early 70's when he was duking it out with a 300lb Wilt, the young Kareem was an absolute beast and twice as athletic (and INTENSE) as Lakers Kareem. But people honestly say Lakers Kareem is Kareem's prime and at that point it just becomes so obvious that they literally don't know anything about the NBA prior to the 80's
    Last edited by CavaliersFTW; 04-13-2012 at 08:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    I actually agree with you but it isn't entirely MJ's fault, the league was pushing his hype but also Bird's and Magics just prior because the NBA had just transitioned from mere "spectator sport" to a monstrous mass media machine making profit off promotion, broadcasts, home video, shoe companies and other endorsements etc etc. It just exploded in popularity and everything before this mass media age was suddenly part of the NBA's dark ages, where such media perks and easily accessible highlight reels simply did not exist even though the game and athletes were just as competitive in every way shape and form. Heck, look at Kareem in the early 70's vs Wilt, the guy was absolute beast and twice as athletic and nimble as Lakers Kareem. But people honestly say Lakers Kareem is Kareem's prime and at that point it just becomes so obvious that they literally don't know anything about the NBA prior to the 80's
    Maybe I should have used a different choice of words to please everyone.
    At least you understood what I meant. Good post.

It's basically Jordan's fault.
    His stans flood everything with him, that other players get overshadowed.
    Sounds like hate, but it's the truth.

Good thread, OP.
    I don't like this post, because it simplistically makes it seem as if Jordan is consider the greatest of all time because of stans. Make it seem as if Wade has stans, Kobe has stans, Lebron has stans, etc, etc and each stans will always say their player is the best, so Jordan always being called the GOAT has less value. It's like another way to bring Jordan down. But the fact of the matters is that you have Barkley stans, Bird stans, Magic stans, etc most of them saying that Jordan is the greatest. You sound really young.

As for those old time players. I do think that the league is better right now, but still respect those players. The game is relative and competition is always going equal to competition regardless of era. In other words I still respect those older teams because they're were all competing just as hard as anyone in any other era to win. Any competitive person from the 60s, could be just as good if exposed to a more modern game early on.
    Last edited by jstern; 04-13-2012 at 09:18 PM.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jstern
    I don't like this post, because it simplistically makes it seem as if Jordan is consider the greatest of all time because of stans. Make it seem as if Wade has stans, Kobe has stans, Lebron has stans, etc, etc and each stans will always say their player is the best, so Jordan always being called the GOAT has less value. It's like another way to bring Jordan down. But the fact of the matters is that you have Barkley stans, Bird, Magic, etc most of them saying that Jordan is the greatest. You sound really young.

As for those old time players. I do think that the league is better right now, but still respect those players. The game is relative and competition is always going equal to competition regardless of era. In other words I still respect those older teams because they're were all competing just as hard as anyone in any other era to win
    That's the only reason he said what he said...to bring Jordan down. I just called him out on his agenda. These Kobe fan boys will agree with anything if its within their said agenda.

Great college starter

You're pathetic.

Tell me where I'm wrong?

You're wrong, it's YOUR FAULT....the fact that Jordan obliterated the competition of his era is the very reason why he's the greatest. It's not anyone's job to educate you on that competition but yourself.