Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Valanciunas debut on national team.

26pts 11boards 9/10fg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GsmvHygGw4&feature

It's not u19 anymore...

Default Re: Valanciunas debut on national team.

nice he looks stronger.

I love his game! I can see him easily being a fan favorite. He does need to beef up a bit more which i'm sure will come in time, as well as adjust to the NBA level grind. But having said that, he's fundamentally sound, he boxes out, he seems to have a pretty good array of post moves, as long as he works hard I think he can be a good solid player for us.

LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

wow we got a white stud.... the years of picking the Araujo's, Bargnani's have all paid off.

Diaw Fan

Nice. Keeping my fingers crossed!

College star

great. hopefully when he comes to play for us, bargnani will not be on this team. we dont want barg influencing this studd.

The draft is finally starting to go our way. Drafting DeRozan 9th in 2009, Davis 13th in 2010 and now Valanciunas looking like the biggest steal of the draft at #5 this year... things are looking optimistic for our club. I have total faith in Colangelo's drafting abilities. He always seems to get the drafts right but always makes strange and complicated trades and signings that cripple our cap room.

Local High School Star Harrison_Barnes's Avatar

Looks promising..

Serious playground baller

I remember a thread last summer where many people thought that Bargnani had became a beast because he was bullying minor National Teams... Czech Rebuplic is not exactly a powerhouse in European basketaball.
    We will watch him against top level competition from now on in friendly games against Russia and Spain and in September in the Eurocup.

10-08-2011, Moscow: Russia - Lithuania
    13-08-2011, Madrid: Spain - Lithuania
    18-08-2011, Kaunas: Lithuania - Spain
    19-08-2011, Panevezys: Lithuania - Russia
    20-08-2011, Panevezys: Lithuania - Latvia
    24-08-2011, Liubliana: Slovenia - Lithuania
    27-08-2011, Vilnius: Lithuania - Georgia
    BTW, we put the day before the month

Quote Originally Posted by FCardelle
    I remember a thread last summer where many people thought that Bargnani had became a beast because he was bullying minor National Teams... Czech Rebuplic is not exactly a powerhouse in European basketaball.
    We will watch him against top level competition from now on in friendly games against Russia and Spain and in September in the Eurocup.

BTW, we put the day before the month
    Why does everything have to go back to Bargnani. We're all Raptors fans so we can cheer VAL on together, regardless of our differing opinions of Barngnani.

Serious playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by SESSEL15
    Why does everything have to go back to Bargnani. We're all Raptors fans so we can cheer VAL on together, regardless of our differing opinions of Barngnani.
    That's because he is our franchise player
    (just kidding)

I posted some incoming games... my post wasn't pro or anti Barganani, just wanted to curb the enthusiasm until Valanciunas faces real competiton.

Riggin' for Wiggins! Chamberlain's Avatar

Absolutely 100% not trying to hate, but the difference here (for now) is age.

When Valanciunas was dominating other 19 year olds, it was like, "great, he's showing skill, but he SHOULD be dominating."

When Bargnani was dominating that tournament last year, it was the same thing. He posted great numbers and his team did well, but at that level of competition, it was fully expected.

Valanciunas has just played his first Senior level game, and he did amazing. That is worth being happy about.

Quote Originally Posted by FCardelle
    That's because he is our franchise player
    (just kidding)

I posted some incoming games... my post wasn't pro or anti Barganani, just wanted to curb the enthusiasm until Valanciunas faces real competiton.
    I don't know about "everyone" being excited about that. I remember one person posting it and making a thread about it (I can't remember but I believe it was Doko) and a lot of people saying they were cautiously optimistic. Myself personally, I remember saying basically the same thing for him that I said about Derozan when he was dominating summer leagues year in and year out. That it's great that he's putting in work in the off-season but that doesn't automatically transfer to the NBA level. The thing about a guy like Val however which I think makes people so high on him including myself, is that he seems to have the type of game that combined with the right attitude and work ethic would translate well into the NBA. With all due respect to Bargnani, last summer he put up 24/6 in Eurobasket and aside from a post move and a dunk here and there it was the exact same game he plays in the NBA against lesser talent. Val on the other hand is putting up 20/10 on a nightly basis, leading the tournament in points, rebounds, blocked shots and FG% in less than 30 minutes a game. It's not a guaranteed formula for him to be a stud, but on the other hand there's a reason people are raving about him.

Local High School Star

He has all the promise of a stud - continues to - that is a good thing.

My only concern:

I hope that he develops on a fast track. Within 3 years.

Others disagree - but big men often take longer to mature. For every Shaq there is a Camby. For every Howard there is a (younger) Gasol.

His game style from international play will require adjustments i.e. in the NBA.

With this coaching staff we should have the right team to build him up correctly and not waste his talent.

[COLOR="Red"](Something in my own mind Barges did NOT bennefit from however there are other issues in his style) [/COLOR]

In three years depending on lock out resolution - we face resigning the entire young nucleus of players we have. By that time we may very well be happy to let a Bayliss walk - or sign a Derozan to a cap deal - who can tell.

The difference is - if Val is still another 2 years away from being the player he promises to be at that time when we need to resign Derozan/Davis for example - we will have a harder time retaining the correct pieces to surround him with and then we are back to the Chris Bosh scenario.

Hence I would much prefer bringing in a solid German Center named Kaman to mentor him as they have a similar style.

End retoric.

Local High School Star

The fundamentals seem to be there with Val. Post up play, back to the basket is far and away better then any other centre we have. Pick and roll seems natural and he plays in the paint. Length and fundamental alone can carry you into the NBA. Passing ability, understanding help defense, running the floor and a consistent 15 footer is the next step to a top 5 centre.

He looks like he could get there.