Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Default Does anyone in here actually think MJ isn't the GOAT?

KAJ? Sure, I can give you that. But besides those two, does anyone in here pick another GOAT over those two? If so, who? I am curious to know if anyone seriously thinks there is another GOAT besides those two. Please keep it constructive and objective.

High School Varsity 6th Man ortonsaw's Avatar

Default Re: Does anyone in here actually think MJ isn't the GOAT?

basically all the pathetic lebron fans lol

NBA rookie of the year

#7) Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Strengths: The greatest and most unstoppable move in history. Can you think of a big man who you'd rather throw it to at the end of the game when your team is down one point? He also had longevity. At 38 years old, he was the best center in the league and won the finals MVP. As a young player, he looked like the 2nd coming of Wilt Chamberlain. Very good defensive player. He could pass out of the double team and shot free throws better than Russell and Wilt (but don't confuse him with Bird).

Weaknesses: Kareem had to have a dominating point guard in order to succeed. In Milwaukee, he had Oscar Robertson. when Robertson retired, they went from the NBA finals to a losing record. The next year, Jabbar went to L.A, where he posted another losing record, playing with hall of fame guard Gail Goodrich. His Lakers underachieved, even though he played with Norm Nixon, until Magic Johnson joined the team and made them great. Jabbar was a major player on those teams, but without Magic, they aren't a contender. That is the biggest reason he is #7. If you draw names from a hat, what are the chances of getting Oscar or Magic? Anything less and Kareem's team will struggle. Furthermore, he was an underachieving rebounder when compared to guys like Wilt, Russell, Hakeem Olajuwon, and Nate Thurmond. Wilt led the league in rebounding at the age of 36. Kareem wasn't even the best on his own team at that age, averaging less than 8 per game.

The more I learn about MJ, the surer I'm he is the GOAT

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Hawk
    The more I learn about MJ, the surer I'm he is the GOAT
    Ditto. He comes out on top any way you slice it. Even the advanced stats all confirm he's the GOAT. KAJ gets kind of knocked in that he wasn't clearly "the man" in his 6 titles while MJ clearly was. And that is a legit argument. Being "the man" carries more weight.

Guys who were born in the 00s.

They've only seen 5 min YouTube vids of Jordan so of course their pick is either Kobe or LBJ.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMax
    #7) Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Strengths: The greatest and most unstoppable move in history. Can you think of a big man who you'd rather throw it to at the end of the game when your team is down one point? He also had longevity. At 38 years old, he was the best center in the league and won the finals MVP. As a young player, he looked like the 2nd coming of Wilt Chamberlain. Very good defensive player. He could pass out of the double team and shot free throws better than Russell and Wilt (but don't confuse him with Bird).

Weaknesses: Kareem had to have a dominating point guard in order to succeed. In Milwaukee, he had Oscar Robertson. when Robertson retired, they went from the NBA finals to a losing record. The next year, Jabbar went to L.A, where he posted another losing record, playing with hall of fame guard Gail Goodrich. His Lakers underachieved, even though he played with Norm Nixon, until Magic Johnson joined the team and made them great. Jabbar was a major player on those teams, but without Magic, they aren't a contender. That is the biggest reason he is #7. If you draw names from a hat, what are the chances of getting Oscar or Magic? Anything less and Kareem's team will struggle. Furthermore, he was an underachieving rebounder when compared to guys like Wilt, Russell, Hakeem Olajuwon, and Nate Thurmond. Wilt led the league in rebounding at the age of 36. Kareem wasn't even the best on his own team at that age, averaging less than 8 per game.
    Is that your all time great list? If so, it might be THE worst list I have ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by jzek
    Guys who were born in the 00s.

They've only seen 5 min YouTube vids of Jordan so of course their pick is either Kobe or LBJ.
    Yeah, they probably think because the game is more athletic than ever, someone from the past can't be the GOAT. But greatness is greatness, you can't help when you are born. Watching highlights don't do MJ justice. He dominated almost every night and was relentless on both ends. Best two way player ever and he truly imposed his WILL on the court.

MJ has a CASE as the GOAT, as do Wilt, Magic, Kareem, and Russell.

BTW, Kareem actually has LESS of a case than Chamberlain.

Quote Originally Posted by LAZERUSS
    MJ has a CASE as the GOAT, as do Wilt, Magic, Kareem, and Russell.

BTW, Kareem actually has LESS of a case than Chamberlain.
    This, except for the Jabbar-Chamberlain bit. While I feel Mj has perhaps the strongest all around case, others have a case. And that's all that's necessary to have the conversation.

KAJ is the GOAT IMO. But hes the only one with the consistent body of work over a long period, domination at every level (HS, college, NBA) and strong prime/peak/playoff performances to be argued against MJ

I'd take certain players at their peak over his peak(LeBron, Shaq, Wilt. Only those 3).

I would also, in a hypothetical all-time draft, take either Wilt or LeBron over him IF, and only if, I have Phil Jackson for Wilt and Gregg Pop for LeBron(PJ would be good, too). as coaches. If Jackson could coach all the personalities he did, he could coach Wilt and deal with all of his shit.

I also can't imagine what Pop and his staff would do with a young prime(08 - 10) LeBron James. Let alone the rest of his years. Hell, even his second year.

Otherwise, he's clearly the greatest player ever all things considered.
    Last edited by Rocketswin2013; 06-27-2015 at 08:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketswin2013
    I'd take certain players at their peak over his peak(LeBron, Wilt.

I would also, in a hypothetical all-time draft, take either Wilt or LeBron over him IF, and only if, I have Phil Jackson for Wilt and Gregg Pop for LeBron(PJ would be good, too).

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketswin2013
    I'd take certain players at their peak over his peak(LeBron, Shaq, Wilt. Only those 3).

I would also, in a hypothetical all-time draft, take either Wilt or LeBron over him IF, and only if, I have Phil Jackson for Wilt and Gregg Pop for LeBron(PJ would be good, too). As coaches. If Jackson could coach all the personalities he did, he coach Wilt and deal with all of his shit.

I also can't imagine what Pop and his staff would do with a young prime(08 - 10) LeBron James. Let alone the rest of his years. Hell, even his second year.

Otherwise, he's clearly the best player ever all things considered.
    Full Retard

Banned

Jordan fan here, but no I don't think he's the clear cut GOAT